Thread: Shutter speed calculator

Real Name
    Carole

Shutter speed calculator

Hi! I saw the " shutter speed calculator" on your web site. It's the best one a saw.
    I would like to Know if there is an application. I would install it on my iPod witch i use in
    Thank you

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Shutter speed calculator

Sorry Carole, there is no app for this nor are there any plans to create one. As the writeup states, these are just some high level guidelines based on a specific set of assumptions, including final display size of the image. Even here, the photographer may decide to ignore these guidelines for compositional reasons.

As you gain experience with your camera and different lenses, you should fairly quickly learn as to what works for you and what does not.

Real Name
    Carole

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Sorry Carole, there is no app for this nor are there any plans to create one. As the writeup states, these are just some high level guidelines based on a specific set of assumptions, including final display size of the image. Even here, the photographer may decide to ignore these guidelines for compositional reasons.

As you gain experience with your camera and different lenses, you should fairly quickly learn as to what works for you and what does not.
    Tank you for your answer. I am really sorry this application does not exist. I Will continue like i am already doing, try differents settings.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Dali28 View Post
    Hi! I saw the " shutter speed calculator" on your web site. It's the best one a saw.
    I would like to Know if there is an application. I would install it on my iPod witch i use in
    Thank you
    Shutter speed ap, !!!!!!!

Trial and error, though why anyone would want one I have no idea

you wouldn't shoot a fast moving car at 1/30th or a portrait at 1/8000th, normally...

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Indeed the calculator is useful but only for learning purpose in theory. When you are on field, you need to go though various scenarios and not only depend on focal length and VR capability of your lens. Main factor is ambient lighting which forces you to keep aside all the laws in photography and use only experience.

I would suggest to try different shots of moving objects on Shutter Priority mode to get a glimpse of it. Then move towards Manual Mode.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Dali28 View Post
    Thank you
    Hi Carole,

Whilst shutter speed calculators are theoretically useful they do use a number of variables and one very important one is the speed of the subject in relation to the sensor plane, of which you are very unlikely to know.

As a start and aid in learning this link gives a useful chart;

http://digital-photography-school.co...r-speed-chart/

Easily copied to carry around with you if you consider it useful.

Grahame

Real Name
    Richard

I am not sure exactly what information a shutter speed calculator would give you but here are some generalities.

For camera/lenses without stabilization... the minimum shutter speed to stop hand-held camera shake is 1/focal length x crop factor (if any). This is just a rough starting point and will vary according to the photographers physical condition (including caffeine or other stimulant intake), wind conditions and terrain (whether of not you able to have a good foothold where you are standing). It also depends on the photographers experience and skill.

When photographing moving subjects a subject crossing your field will require a faster shutter speed to stop the motion than a subject moving straight at the camera...

Stabilization such as the Canon IS (image stabilization) will normally allow the photographer to shoot at a slower shutter speed without the problems caused by camera movement. However the IS will do nothing to stop image motion.

When panning with a moving subject, a photographer will often use a slower shutter speed in order to blur the background. Image Stabilization can be used but, should have a panning mode, such as the later Canon IS versions. The panning mode stops up and down jiggle but allows the side to side movement. I would test my panning ability by following cars on a street...

Sometimes a slower shutter speed can blur motion. This is often done when shooting waterfalls and ocean surf. The camera should be held steady (most often with a tripod) so that the motionless portions of the image will be sharp as opposed to the moving portions.

Creative use of slow shutter speed... I had hoped during my trip to Istanbul Turkey to photograph Sufi Dancers (whirling dervishes) using a slow shutter speed. I think that the blurred white dressed dancer or dancers would have made a great image. However, I did not have to opportunity to visit a Sufi performance.

I stand corrected re smart phone apps: My friend Mr. Google has directed me to some shutter speed apps for various smart phones:

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/expo...359149599?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mera.pro&hl=en
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 30th November 2014 at 05:57 PM.