Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Black Hat Cham Dancer - Thangbi Mani Festival - Bumthang, Bhutan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Black Hat Cham Dancer - Thangbi Mani Festival - Bumthang, Bhutan

This is a shot of a black hat Cham dancer; a religious dance performed by monks. The black hat dancers chase away any demons that are around.

This shot was taken at the Thangbi Mani Festival, that took place in early October 2014 in Bumthang, in central Bhutan. The costumed monks whirl and jump away to live music in the monastery courtyard.

Black Hat Cham Dancer - Thangbi Mani Festival - Bumthang, Bhutan
    Last edited by Manfred M; 25th November 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Black Hat Cham Dancer - Thangbi Mani Festival - Bumthang, Bhutan

Nicely captured.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Hello, Manfred!!!!

Your pictures of your travels are windows into other cultures.

This image is so dynamic - that - I almost wonder if a bit of motion blur would have been tolerable to convey that wonderful movement? Regardless, I keep coming back for a study.

'Rie

Real Name
    Richard

Nice capture under what I expect was difficult shooting conditions...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    Hello, Manfred!!!!

Your pictures of your travels are windows into other cultures.

This image is so dynamic - that - I almost wonder if a bit of motion blur would have been tolerable to convey that wonderful movement? Regardless, I keep coming back for a study.

'Rie
    Thanks Marie - I played around with that but the results were not good. These shots were taken in a really difficult shooting environment; lots and lots of people around and a 100% stationary place to shoot from. I feel I was lucky to get some usable shots.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nice capture under what I expect was difficult shooting conditions...
    That would be an understatement.

We had planned to go to this festival because it was smaller and more intimate that the big one we visited in Thimpu. When we did our research, we were told that very few tourists went to this event because it was in a fairly remote part of Bhutan.

We got there early to try to position ourselves to get ourselves good shooting positions (we checked to make sure we were okay with the locals, based on what happened in the past). Hordes of other tourists showed up after us and firmly plunked themselves in our line of sight, so we had to reposition a number of times. The place was so tightly packed it was virtually impossible to move. There were a number of novice photographers and videographers in front of us that would just stick up their cameras and leave them there for long periods of time. Nice shooting opportunities were ruined by people with their iPads held out at arms length covering a considerable part of the frame. You get the idea.

Add to that less than ideal lighting (clear sunny day) and a camera (mirrorless) that uses contrast detection for autofocus (not ideal for moving subjects) where the view screen blanks out after two shots have been taken and the buffer is being written to the memory card...

We almost left before things got started and headed out just before noon (as even more folks showed up). The tourists outnumbered the locals, and this was a local festival. I certainly won't be heading back in a hurry...

Real Name
    John

Still a very nice shot despite the difficulties Manfred. Given the ground you have covered, my only other thought is when do you stop for a rest? You must be exhausted.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Still a very nice shot despite the difficulties Manfred. Given the ground you have covered, my only other thought is when do you stop for a rest? You must be exhausted.
    Very good point. We scheduled in a few "down" days with minimal activities. In retrospect, we should have built a few more in.

Fortunately for us, Bhutan was near the beginning of our trip, so we were not all that tired after we got over the jetlag.

The problem with traveling in Bhutan is that is that travel is tightly controlled and you are not left to your own devices. The only way most people can visit the country is through a tour (nicely said, it's the easiest way to get a visa to enter Bhutan). The downside is that you must have a guide and driver and follow a fixed itinerary. Another downside is that you must prepay the trip BEFORE they issue you a visa and airline tickets.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I realize this ordeal doesn't leave you with the best memories but it sure does make for fascinating information for all of us vicariously experiencing that part of your travel.