Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Solar eclipse in March 2015

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

Solar eclipse in March 2015

In March !!! but can't change subject.
    This is far to early, but it is good to be prepared !
    2015-03-20, probably about 9:46 (AM) GMT. Total.
    I personally don't have any gray filters or whatever is needed to take picture of that.
    Will it be visible everywhere or only in some areas like several years ago ? Or maybe it will be not so total ?
    Last edited by darekk; 25th November 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Real Name
    John

re: Solar eclipse in March 2015

Thanks for the info.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

re: Solar eclipse in March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by darekk View Post
    can't change subject.
    To change the subject, click the Edit Post button of the first post in the thread. Then click the Go Advanced button and change the subject. The change won't appear in the list of thread subjects once anyone has viewed the thread but the revised subject will at least be seen by everyone who reads the posts.

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

Re: Solar eclipse in March '2015

Thank you. I knew that it was somewhere. But onlu subject of that message changed, not thread tittle.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

But onlu subject of that message changed, not thread tittle.
    If you make the change before anyone reviews the thread, the change will be displayed in the thread title and in all posts in the thread.

Real Name
    John

Here is a link to see where the eclipse will be visible (and how much of an eclipse): http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2015-march-20

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

Then in Europe only clouds can hide it, in North America it won't be visible practically. Several years ago it was at least mostly in Asia but probably other ones in the middle time did occur.
    Last edited by darekk; 25th November 2014 at 07:46 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

darekk...#1 -- I wish you will fill up your profile so we know how you want to be referred to instead of Prince Darekk if you know what I mean...

#2 in response to your question, any dark lens or your sunglasses will be good to capture the solar eclipse as long as you do not look at the sun directly. Use your Live View Option on the camera or connect your camera to your laptop or something... It was too late for me when I got to know about the sunglasses part but I will be using mine and a laptop tethered to my camera when the time comes.

Another option is to go to a stationary supply store, whatever you call it there where you live, and get some of those set of plastics thin enough to use in front of your lens. It will act the same purpose as any expensive solar lens you will ever be able to buy for so much money.

The idea is not to harm your eye sight. A solar lens you only get to use twice a year whereas the remainder of your stationary supplied lens you will be able to find a use in other ways throughout the year.
    I personally don't have any gray filters or whatever is needed to take picture of that.
    Will it be visible everywhere or only in some areas like several years ago ? Or maybe it will be not so total ?

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

That eclipse will occur tomorrow, but I personally rather won't photograph it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Solar eclipse in March 2015

I have changed the thread title for you (sorry didn't notice this thread in November).

The times being shown on BBC Breakfast News this morning were something like 09:20 in Cornwall, around 09:30 in London, around 09:40 further north - that said, it will start a few minutes earlier than these times.

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you click Settings (right at the top),
    then Edit Profile (on left)
    and put your first name in the Real Name field
    and where you are (roughly) in the Location field?
    this helps everyone give you more personal and relevant answers - thanks in advance.

Real Name
    J stands for John

The safest way I know of to photograph an eclipse of the sun is to organize a projected image of it [ telescope?] and photograph that image. Setting up by watching image not the sun.
    The way I did it was moderately safe when I used my IR filter which passes no visible light and targeted the camera looking through the EVF ... as it was the exposure was f/7.9 [ smallest my bridge camera had ] and 1/3400 shutter speed.
    Not sure how our staff cameraman did it but he was off work for two weeks with his 'viewfinder eye' covered while it recovered, he was lucky.

Real Name
    Yes

There is a real danger of damage to eyes or camera if using "normal" photographic filters. Often these are transparent to IR and so don't protect they eyes/camera sensor from the heat produced by the IR rays.

Real Name
    Dariusz Kowalczyk

The light was still sharp but strangely darker. Such eclipse seems to be very tiny, because of adaptation of our brains to the light.