Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One colour abstract begets another

Real Name
    Janis

One colour abstract begets another

This should be easy peasy for our glass experts, but maybe someone else will show them up.

[IMG]One colour abstract begets anotherDSC_0719 - Version 2 by onesun1moon, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Barbara

Re: One colour abstract begets another

Have no idea how it was done but it looks really cool!

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Janis,

I have no idea what it is as for some reason I can't read your exif data.

However it's certainly a beautiful photo. A gorgeous explosion of beautiful colours!

Real Name
    Binnur

I loved it Janis I think the original is a flower shot. May I ask how you did it

Real Name
    Grahame

Maybe a shot of 'something' taken through the underside of a glass Janis, or maybe not

Real Name
    Janis

The Nik tools must have wiped the EXIF, Christina, but I don't mind telling you it is a macro shot with my 105 mm.

Grahame's warm. Binnur sees the pattern. If you keep in mind that this was inspired by Mike's abstract, it should be easy.

Real Name
    Mark

The fascinating thing to me is that on my monitor, this extraordinary pattern has a really unusual holographic sort of depth. Never before seen on this screen. Weird, amazing, striking!

Real Name
    John

Maybe glass through a polariser? if stressed and broken etc. Surprised it's that strong though.

John
    -

Real Name
    Janis

Not a polarizer, John.

And Barbara, in my haste to get ready for work, I neglected to thank you for your comments and bid you a warm welcome to CiC! And thank you, too, Shadowman.

Am off to work now, so you have another twelve hours or so to guess.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

As honored as I am that my colorful abstract inspired you, your image definitely inspires me. When (if) I buy a macro lens, the reason will be to make abstracts hopefully at least half as nice as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    This should be easy peasy for our glass experts
    I sure am glad I'm not a glass expert. Otherwise, I would feel bad that I have no idea how you made this image.

Real Name
    Christina

A Christmas tree bulb? Or perhaps piece of silk flowered lingerie, more specifically a brassiere?

A strand of Christmas tree lights!!!

The Nik tools must have wiped the EXIF, Christina, but I don't mind telling you it is a macro shot with my 105 mm.

Grahame's warm. Binnur sees the pattern. If you keep in mind that this was inspired by Mike's abstract, it should be easy.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 25th November 2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Add Guess

Real Name
    Janis

Bingo! Christina's got a bingo! Now what's the one other element you need to make a picture like this, other than my unique form of ineptness?

Real Name
    Janis

And one other hint: Downrigger was on to something when he talked about depth.

Real Name
    Binnur

Is that water in the middle?

Real Name
    Janis

No, not water.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Janis,

Honestly, I'm totally out of my element here, except to say that this is a gorgeous image. All all I can think of to add is that the image is lit from beneath, assuming you followed the same procedures as Mike's abstract.

Bingo! Christina's got a bingo! Now what's the one other element you need to make a picture like this, other than my unique form of ineptness?

Real Name
    Janis

My apologies to Binnur and anyone else who may have been misled; I should have said "item", not "element". It is a sign of advancing age that my language is becoming so imprecise.

Anyhow, Grahame and Christina together have most of the puzzle put together: Christmas lights shot through glass. The bubbles should tell you that it is not high quality glass (or maybe the bubbles indicate that the glass has been tempered with some kind of chemical to make it more durable; I don't know). Anyhow, Binnur saw a flower pattern and Mark saw depth. What glass item might you find in your kitchen that would give you both, so that you too might make images such as these? Anyone?

Running out for a few hours, but I will give you the answer when I come back, if no one has guessed.

Bonus points to anyone who is able to produce their own version.

Real Name
    Grahame

What glass item might you find in your kitchen that would give you both, so that you too might make images such as these? Anyone? .
    I used to have my own kitchen and that had a 'lemon squeezer' in it but fortunately now the kitchen is no longer designated as mine and I don't know or care what's in it as long as it provides food for me, prepared by its owner

Real Name
    Janis

Way to go, Grahame!! It is in fact a lemon juicer. I took one of the strands of little battery powered Christmas lights ($2 a strand at the dollar store) that I wore in the Santa Claus parade two weeks ago and stuffed three of the lights, which are cone-shaped, into the cone of the juicer. I had to scotch tape the wires to the bottom of the juicer to keep the lights more or less in place. I then laid a yellow light on the top of the part of the juicer that catches the juice. My exposure was 1/10th of second at f/4.5 and ISO 100 in a dark room. I blew the highlights quite badly, as I forgot that the camera can't meter with the mirror up. As a former D90 owner who is used to shooting with a delayed shutter and cable release, I had never used a MUp setting before. Duh. But I had no more time to play around and so I took what I got. I do intend to try this again some day, though, as I think I can do better, and it was instructive and, most important, fun!

Thanks for all your flattering comments, but I really don't deserve them. With the right equipment, any one of you could do as well or better.

Thank you, Mike, for sparking the idea, and thanks to the rest of you for playing along.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 26th November 2014 at 08:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast