Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water droplet trinity

Real Name
    Brian

Water droplet trinity

Water droplet trinity
    After reading and thinking about the critiques I have received (particularly Loose Canon) I offer what may be a better version of 'Water droplet trinity'.
    Water droplet trinity
    Last edited by JBW; 25th November 2014 at 04:57 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Water droplet trinity

Nice captured, good composition.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice captured, good composition.
    I'm not entirely pleased with the positioning but it was the best I could arrange.

Real Name
    Terry

I think this is not only a great shot Brian, but one heckuva eye spotting it!

Would it be too presumptuous of me to suggest that a shot of this quality would benefit from a bit more TLC in post?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I think this is not only a great shot Brian, but one heckuva eye spotting it!

Would it be too presumptuous of me to suggest that a shot of this quality would benefit from a bit more TLC in post?
    Not presumptuous at all. But way to subtle! What did I do wrong?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I'm not entirely pleased with the positioning but it was the best I could arrange.
    There are very few other angles to choose from that would be as dynamic.

Real Name
    Terry

Nothing at all wrong sir. Its a great shot.

Just wondering if maybe a bit more tweaking might worth persuing?

Real Name
    Terry

If I had shot this Brian (and I wish I had) I would want the water drops to look really glassy. In this case, that is what I gather caught your eye and the reflections and highlights in them are gorgeous.

The um, “hairs”? on the stem are awesome. I would want them banging because that helps blow the stem out of the shot which leads to the water drops! You nailed the detail with them. Perfect.

I might ease the overall noise and back the background down. I might do this locally leaving some local noise. For example, the vertical leaf with the drop dropping because I would like the noise detail there! Huge part of the shot and again? Awesome!

Then maybe re-address the biggest drop because I would consider that the coolest part of this shot (focal point) and has the reflections/refractions! And in a water shot this is where its at. You did, after all name it “Water Droplet Trinity” so this is where I would want the shot to shine! Here I would dodge and burn and locally and bring it on! Clean it up if I thought it warranted. Meaning any spots, specular spots, lines, etc. that I thought maybe would be better off not there. This is where I would get down and dirty and zoom way in to make those evaluations.

Crop it kind of squarish to make the stem as corner to corner diagonal as I could make it? If you like thirds the drops are perfectly positioned with that crop which further rocks! Then vignette the drops subtly.

It’s a great shot regardless or my mindless ramblings Brian.

Just a Theory!

Real Name
    Brian

Nothing at all wrong sir. Its a great shot.

Just wondering if maybe a bit more tweaking might worth persuing?
    Ahhh, and I agree that there are more subtleties that could be brought out. I have found that photography is in one way quite similar to flying. A certain amount of science combined with a certain amount of art. I believe that I have a good eye and that it is getting better as I train myself.

My weak point is the science. I am slowly, very very slowly, coming to understand both RawTherapee and Gimp. Both as stand alone and combined pp. If and when I get a camera upgrade it will include RAW which will open up a whole nother level of the science.

Lord help me if I ever go whole hog and buy Photo Shop!
    Brian.

Real Name
    Brian

If I had shot this Brian (and I wish I had) I would want the water drops to look really glassy. In this case, that is what I gather caught your eye and the reflections and highlights in them are gorgeous.

The um, “hairs”? on the stem are awesome. I would want them banging because that helps blow the stem out of the shot which leads to the water drops! You nailed the detail with them. Perfect.

I might ease the overall noise and back the background down. I might do this locally leaving some local noise. For example, the vertical leaf with the drop dropping because I would like the noise detail there! Huge part of the shot and again? Awesome!

Then maybe re-address the biggest drop because I would consider that the coolest part of this shot (focal point) and has the reflections/refractions! And in a water shot this is where its at. You did, after all name it “Water Droplet Trinity” so this is where I would want the shot to shine! Here I would dodge and burn and locally and bring it on! Clean it up if I thought it warranted. Meaning any spots, specular spots, lines, etc. that I thought maybe would be better off not there. This is where I would get down and dirty and zoom way in to make those evaluations.

Crop it kind of squarish to make the stem as corner to corner diagonal as I could make it? If you like thirds the drops are perfectly positioned with that crop which further rocks! Then vignette the drops subtly.

It’s a great shot regardless or my mindless ramblings Brian.

Just a Theory!
    Not at all mindless. if you want to make it more than theory I can send you the original (I think I still have it).

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    There are very few other angles to choose from that would be as dynamic.

Real Name
    Terry

Then may I make this suggestion as a quickie, sir?

Water droplet trinity

Real Name
    Brian

Then may I make this suggestion as a quickie, sir?

Water droplet trinity
    Only if you quit calling me SIR. I am old but I ain't royalty. And tell me what you think of my new version based upon your suggestions.
    Water droplet trinity

Real Name
    J stands for John

When you are not completely happy with a shot it often means you are not close enough ... in this case the leaf on the left is completely redundant to the trio of droplets. I prefer the darker version though the leaf underneath is still a bit too light.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    When you are not completely happy with a shot it often means you are not close enough ... in this case the leaf on the left is completely redundant to the trio of droplets. I prefer the darker version though the leaf underneath is still a bit too light.
    I left the leaf in because it balanced the framing. (for me) I left the bottom leaf bright as background enhancement, almost like a blanket for the drop to sit on.

Real Name
    Terry

Sorry Brian! The way I was brought up I was taught that the word “sir” is a term of respect. Nothing to do with age or royalty! I apologize.

I like the newer version. I think the decision to leave the left leaf in is a good one for the same reason you mentioned. I wonder it it might be too close to the edge of the frame though.

Bottom line would be that I just made some suggestions. Up to you how they may or may not fit your vision for the shot!

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry Brian! The way I was brought up I was taught that the word “sir” is a term of respect. Nothing to do with age or royalty! I apologize.

I like the newer version. I think the decision to leave the left leaf in is a good one for the same reason you mentioned. I wonder it it might be too close to the edge of the frame though.

Bottom line would be that I just made some suggestions. Up to you how they may or may not fit your vision for the shot!
    Not a problem I was raised the same way. it just looks a little different from the receiving end.

Judgement call on the closeness to the edge. How much of the bottom leaf do you want to see? his is of course why there are no 10/10 shots. There are always options.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Brian,

Just to add to the accolades and say I too think it is a beautiful image! And Terry's suggestions for post processing to bring out the best, as the beautiful little droplets pop, and especially reducing the noise in the background make the image extra special.

I do like your edit but I find it too, dark. I prefer the lighter version because the flower, the little spikes, as well as highlights and droplets stand out so beautifully.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    Hi Brian,

Just to add to the accolades and say I too think it is a beautiful image! And Terry's suggestions for post processing to bring out the best, as the beautiful little droplets pop, and especially reducing the noise in the background make the image extra special.

I do like your edit but I find it too, dark. I prefer the lighter version because the flower, the little spikes, as well as highlights and droplets stand out so beautifully.
    I do tend to see life as a dark and dangerous journey.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Brian,

In that case my preference for the lighter versions (your original and Terry's) matters not a whit!

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I do tend to see life as a dark and dangerous journey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast