Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitty adventure C&C welcomed

Real Name
    Kim

Kitty adventure C&C welcomed

Recently I was asked by a friend if I would photograph her cats and today was the day :-) My fingers were crossed that her cats would be more cooperative than mine. In addition, I decided to be brave and use my new camera - this was my second time shooting with it. Must say i love that it can handle low light and that a flash was not needed (since the flash and I are not yet friends).

ISO 1600; 70mm; F8; 1/100

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Kitty adventure C&C welcomed

I sure do like the background you chose.

As for the composition, try cropping so you don't see the top step. Doing so leaves to the imagination the height of the stair case. Also try cropping on the right side so the cat's eyes are in the top right area approximately as the Rule of Thirds would suggest. Doing so changes the overall composition to two simple elements -- the cat and the steps. Considering that the cat is looking to the viewer's left, that composition also allows the cat to look into that space to the left and renders the scene less static.

The cat isn't looking directly toward the camera, which brings to mind the old phrase about how difficult it is to herd cats. Better luck next time with that!

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I sure do like the background you chose.

As for the composition, try cropping so you don't see the top step. Doing so leaves to the imagination the height of the stair case. Also try cropping on the right side so the cat's eyes are in the top right area approximately as the Rule of Thirds would suggest. Doing so changes the overall composition to two simple elements -- the cat and the steps. Considering that the cat is looking to the viewer's left, that composition also allows the cat to look into that space to the left and renders the scene less static.

The cat isn't looking directly toward the camera, which brings to mind the old phrase about how difficult it is to herd cats. Better luck next time with that!
    Thanks Mike for your comments and suggestions. Image has been adjusted as you suggested -- I like it -- thank you! I did get several of this cat looking directly at me -- he was so gorgeous and knew it.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done especially the revision.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely done especially the revision.
    Thanks John.

Real Name
    Nick

Great idea for this shot. I think it turned out nicely, especially now with the new crop. Did you say there was no flash? Did you use any artificial lighting? I wonder about bringing some of the highlights in the white fur down just very slightly, but keeping it brighter than the background.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Kim, she is a beautiful cat...It would be nice if you upload some others where the cat is looking at you. I like the composition of the edit, Kim...very nice.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Kim, nice shot I like the crop , if it was mine I would crop from the top some more to put the lovely eyes of the cat to 1/3 of the frame as Mike suggests.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    Great idea for this shot. I think it turned out nicely, especially now with the new crop. Did you say there was no flash? Did you use any artificial lighting? I wonder about bringing some of the highlights in the white fur down just very slightly, but keeping it brighter than the background.
    Thanks Nick. No, no flash, no artificial lighting. I am continuing to play with this one... Will give that a try.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Kim, she is a beautiful cat...It would be nice if you upload some others where the cat is looking at you. I like the composition of the edit, Kim...very nice.
    Thanks Izzie. I am working on pp these today... If I have a worthy one, I will post. :-)

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Kim, nice shot I like the crop , if it was mine I would crop from the top some more to put the lovely eyes of the cat to 1/3 of the frame as Mike suggests.
    Thanks for commenting Binnur. I do have a few with the cat looking straight at me and there be less of the stairs in the image.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful image! I like both versions equally. The staircase in the background is extra special, and of course the cat is gorgeous!

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    Beautiful image! I like both versions equally. The staircase in the background is extra special, and of course the cat is gorgeous!
    Thank you Christina.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    This one is for you Izzie :-)

Real Name
    Richard

I tried this with NIK Viveza Structure Filter. Usually that filter works pretty well on animal's coats. I am not sure in this case. Perhaps it is because the image I posted is smaller than yours.

BTW: using a wand of some type with a feather attractor (DIY or purchased at a pet supply store) can often convince a kitty to look where you want it to...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    BTW: using a wand of some type with a feather attractor (DIY or purchased at a pet supply store) can often convince a kitty to look where you want it to...
    Will that also work with a wife? I often want her to look away.

Real Name
    Richard

"Will that also work with a wife? I often want her to look away."

Nope Mike... I have found that a diamond ring is usually a better attractor for spouses than is a feather!

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice shot Kim

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I tried this with NIK Viveza Structure Filter. Usually that filter works pretty well on animal's coats. I am not sure in this case. Perhaps it is because the image I posted is smaller than yours.

Thanks Richard. I tried that as well; however, I wanted to be true to how the cat looked and it just changed his gorgeous subtle color too much for me.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Very nice shot Kim

Thank you Binnur. Should have said that was for you and Izzie ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast