Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Colorful abstract

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Not a chance!

Real Name
    Christina

Is Mrs. Buckley aware that you've been rummaging through her lingerie drawer and pilfering her personal items for photographic subjects?

These are bra inserts to measure one's cup size, lit from beneath with colourful Christmas tree lights.

I'll send that person anywhere in the world a 2 GB memory card

Mailing Instructions...
    Please ensure that my 2GB memory card is sent to Papua New Guinea in a secure weather proof metal box to be stored at the post office in a safe deposit until I'm able to pick it up.

Thank you.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

We have a winner...well, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    Is Mrs. Buckley aware that you've been rummaging through her lingerie drawer and pilfering her personal items for photographic subjects?
    First, there is no Mrs. Buckley. Before we got married more than three decades ago, she asked me if I wanted her to change her last name. I explained that I would never change mine and that she should do as she wished. She didn’t change her name.

Second, I didn't rummage through or pilfer anything. She ordered the objects through a company that was offering them to ensure a perfect, comfortable fit. Once she was done using them, she gave them to me so I could photograph them.

These are bra inserts to measure one's cup size
    You're correct in that the objects are designed to measure one's cup size. However, they are not inserted into anything.

Note that the contest rules require the winner to describe the subjects "exactly." Even though you have not done so, you came close enough that I am declaring you the contest winner and recipient of the grand prize. However...

Mailing Instructions...Please ensure that my 2GB memory card is sent to Papua New Guinea in a secure weather proof metal box to be stored at the post office in a safe deposit until I'm able to pick it up.
    I see that you are taking on Terry's tendency for infraction of the rules. I am willing to overlook this only because you came close, far closer than Terry, to exactly guessing the subjects. PM your current mailing address to me and I'll be happy to send the 2 GB card.

It happens to be an SD card, which is the form factor your camera uses. If you aren't already storing your camera's settings on a memory card with smaller storage, you can use it for that purpose. Or you can perhaps use it as a backup of the memory card you are currently using.

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 24th November 2014 at 05:13 PM.

Real Name
    Janis

Well done, Christina! I never in a million years...

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

I much prefer my story (pilfering versus being given) with the addition of this little gem because it shows what a wonderful person you are...

First, there is no Mrs. Buckley. Before we got married more than three decades ago, she asked me if I wanted her to change her last name. I explained that I would never change mine and that she should do as she wished. She didn’t change her name.

I'm very surprised that you didn't ask me how I knew

When I first saw the image I assumed it was a bunch of a balloons but when you asked folks to guess the subject matter I knew that was too simple... My next guess was a bunch of bicycle helmets or Christmas tree bulbs. I was bright eyed this morning so I thought I should read your exif data (perhaps a macro shot) and much to my surprise the subject matter was included in the data. (Reading exif data is something you taught me to do) Then I Googled the subject and learned how to find the perfect fit.

Thank you for the kind offer but I have lots of those little cards, and now I also know the proper terminology (SD Cards). You also taught me how to use them to store camera settings.

So instead I choose my prize to be one doozy of a question for you to answer on the subject of photography.
    I haven't thought of it yet but I'm sure one will come to mind one day. If that is not agreeable to you then I will wait for my SD Card and send you the address of my accommodations when I visit when I visit Papua New Guinea.

By the way your image is far more creative and innovative than I thought. In fact I feel an overwhelming urge to go get the Christmas tree lights out of the storage locker, and try it on something.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 24th November 2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: insert big grin

Real Name
    Christina

I cheated! I have a little exif data reader on my computer and clicking it brings up all the data and Mike included the subject matter in the data.

But please note that Mike didn't state any rules about cheating.

Nevertheless if he refuses my prize I've learned how to find the perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Well done, Christina! I never in a million years...

Ah ha! You cheated! Now that I know that, I like you even more. Very well done!

Just to clarify one little tidbit lest everyone reading the thread thinks that I taught you incorrectly: The information that you found embedded in the image file is not EXIF data. The EXIF data is the stuff recorded automatically by the camera, such as the camera model, lens model, shutter speed, ISO, aperture, etc. The information I added is another form of metadata called XMP data. At least that's my understanding, keeping in mind that I'm not an expert about metadata.

To put that in context, all data about an image stored in an image file or its corresponding sidecar file is called metadata. EXIF and XMP as well as other kinds of data are either standards created by standards bodies or are de facto standards created by a company. EXIF data is an example of the former. XMP data is an example of the latter.

I always add the details of my studio shots to the metadata so I don't have to remember a particular setup that I might want to use again or slightly modify. I usually add that metadata before uploading an image for display at CiC and you were clever enough to cheat, umm, look for it.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you for sharing. I've never heard of XMP data and it sounds like a wonderful tool to use.

Prize enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Ah ha! You cheated! Now that I know that, I like you even more. Very well done!

Just to clarify one little tidbit lest everyone reading the thread thinks that I taught you incorrectly: The information that you found embedded in the image file is not EXIF data. The EXIF data is the stuff recorded automatically by the camera, such as the camera model, lens model, shutter speed, ISO, aperture, etc. The information I added is another form of metadata called XMP data. At least that's my understanding, keeping in mind that I'm not an expert about metadata.

To put that in context, all data about an image stored in an image file or its corresponding sidecar file is called metadata. EXIF and XMP as well as other kinds of data are either standards created by standards bodies or are de facto standards created by a company. EXIF data is an example of the former. XMP data is an example of the latter.

I always add the details of my studio shots to the metadata so I don't have to remember a particular setup that I might want to use again or slightly modify. I usually add that metadata before uploading an image for display at CiC and you were clever enough to cheat, umm, look for it.

Real Name
    Janis

Oh, that's funny. I looked at the EXIF data, too, but didn't realize until just now that my viewer 1) is capable of displaying XMP, but was set to basic EXIF only; and 2) was fixed on another image in another location! (I think maybe my viewer is not compatible with my current privacy configuration.)

This forum can be at once so elevating, and so humbling.

The really important issue, Janis, is that you tried to cheat. You should take pride in that, knowing of course that we'll overlook that you were unsuccessful. I'm sure you'll get everything figured out in time to win the next contest.

Real Name
    Terry

Okay this is hilarious!

Personal drawer pilfering, bra fit kits, cheating, weaseling…

This has all the fixin’s of a World Class scandal!

Cambridge in Colorgate!

Christina, Janis? I am hugely impressed with your deviousness!

And I still don’t know what the heck a bra fit kit is!

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Personal drawer pilfering, bra fit kits, cheating, weaseling…
    I'm very much offended that you didn't mention that the sponsor of the contest is a cheapskate.

Real Name
    Janis

And I am shocked, , I tell you, that you would both encourage, in my case, the corruption of a senior.

Real Name
    John

Interesting and creative Mike. As to what they are - well they look to be made of a gel of some kind. This is going to need some blue skies thinking. I'm trying hard not to think about rejected breast implants (but that's got nothing to do with this puzzle) so I will say they are wrist cushions for when you are using a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    And I am shocked, , I tell you, that you would both encourage, in my case, the corruption of a senior.
    Not just seniors. Everyone!

Conversation with my wife at dinners are always interesting. We never know in advance whether the conversation will last 30 minutes or 3 hours. Literally.

My wife almost fell out of her chair laughing in response to my explanation of the details of this thread. Full disclosure: I named everyone involved including each person's contribution to the thread. As a result, she admires all of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12