Thread: M-2 Stairs

Real Name
    Shane

M-2 Stairs

I would love to get your thoughts on this image in terms of composition and processing.

M-2 Stairs

A little background on the shot...I was wandering about the Port of Honolulu and this is a large gas storage tank with stairs that circumnavigate the exterior. I took this shot through a chain link fence and actually had to move as a security guard came out to tell me there were no pictures allowed as I was on private property. So I moved back and down a few feet to capture this shot. As a result the composition options were pretty limited.

Straightening the image was also a challenge and I have had a few goes at that and settled on then central line and the key bit to be straight.

Do the shadows on the right and the bottom left corner distract? I like the triangle shadow in the bottom left as it mirrors the stairs but I wonder if the right side is too dark?

Real Name
    John

Re: M-2 Stairs

Nicely done, I think the shadows act as a gradient and sharp contrast for the composition. The shadow at the left bottom doesn't help nor does it hurt the image, you should look at how the composition would look with and without. The seams and bit of white streak could be removed or toned down. I might even look at a cropped version eliminating most of the right hand side and leaving the stairs at its sharp angle as the main subject.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Shane If it was my image I would clone the seams and the shadow at the bottom left corner, I would crop the image from right and from the top to leave the stairs only and I would add a warming filter to the image. Just an idea

Real Name
    Richard

+1

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Shane,

Great image! I especially like the bright white tones, and the way the soft shadows on the far right side gradually lead to the bright light and the staircase leading one towards the brightest part of the image. I like all the detail nicks and seems seen on the right side. And I adore the way you've processed this image.

I'm not fond of the little shadow on the bottom left. If it were my image I would crop it from the left hand side at the point just before the intersection of the top seams (or clone those out) where the staircase is less curved, simply because I like the sense of mystery of walking up that staircase towards the light. All based on personal preference and simply an another idea.

PS After thinking about it, I also like how the staircase follows the curvature, just seeing two different, equally wonderful images.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 24th November 2014 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Add PS

Real Name
    Tony Watts

I agree with Christina that this is a very nice image but that the shadow in the bottom left is off-putting. If it were mine, I would clone out the shadow and then add a softer shadow back.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This attempt at creativity has such strong shooting obstacles! I think I would clone to eliminate the shadow in the bottom left corner and I would crop to make a square format.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 24th November 2014 at 01:39 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

The graduated shadow on the right is fine: it defines the curvature of the tank, and indicates that the stairs are spiral, too.

I am not so sure about the shadow at bottom left, though. I wonder if you have cropped this, and whether there is any more space on the left, because I like the way the shadow repeats the line of the stairs but I think we need to see more of it for it to be really effective in that respect.

Real Name
    Shane

Square crop...

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I beg to disagree with those who wanted the lines on the tank less prominent but did have a go at removing the shadow in the lower lower left.

M-2 Stairs

Thoughts?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Shane I think that's a significant improvement over the original image. The staircase now has more prominence making for a stronger image IMO. Good stuff.

Dave

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What can I say? Dave already mirrored my thoughts while looking at it...+10 to his comments.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Square crop...

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I beg to disagree with those who wanted the lines on the tank less prominent but did have a go at removing the shadow in the lower lower left.

Thoughts?
    The second image is much better Shane simply because apart from anything else, it makes more of the pattern behind the stairs - and so I agree with you.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The revised version is such a strong image! Nice job cloning the horizontal line in the bottom left area to extend it to the left after you got rid of the shadow. The strong lines in the gas tank are such a nice contrast with the curvature of the staircase.

This image is so nice that it would be well worth the effort to get just a tad bit more separation between the ends of the steps and the gas tank. Hopefully it will be easier to do that working with the color original than working with the monochrome version.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Shane , I like your edit Although the seams are still there they actually add to the composition after cloning and cropping. If it was my image I would still add a slight warming filter or a slight sepia effect to it, just an idea

Real Name
    Christina

Looks fabulous! But best of all your image demonstrates how one can create art out of the most ordinary of subjects.

Real Name
    Janis

The cropped version makes for a terrific image, Shane. Which is not to say you didn't start with great material. Well done!

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions and supportive comments. As usual the extra sets of eyes allow for changes that have created an improved image.

It is appreciated