Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Horn Sheep in a Snowstorm

Real Name
    Terri

Big Horn Sheep in a Snowstorm

I've been out in all kinds of conditions but this is the first time I actually questioned my sanity. Record low temps for the Denver, CO area, blowing snow and icy road conditions. But I'd made the trip and wasn't about to hang out in the hotel all day. It was only 9 degrees below 0 (Fahrenheit).

I will say that I had the highest failure rate based on sharpness/focus than ever before. I still need to do some controlled tests to make sure my lens or camera has not failed. I suspect, though, that it had to do with the heavy snow falling. I did at one point change the custom setting on my Canon 7d that controls how well AI Servo holds focus on the initial subject when other things come into the frame. But even on One Shot, the camera/lens was very slow to acquire focus. Whether due to cold or not being able to know what it was supposed to be focusing on (animal or falling snow), I don't know. All shot with my Tamron 150-600 lens.

Anyway, these are a few that I thought came out ok. C&C always welcome and appreciated!

So many possible captions here...

This is behavior that often precedes head butting but they backed off. I would have liked to have gotten full body shots of this but there was a drop off behind me and I couldn't back up. Shot at 150mm.

Real Name
    John

Re: Big Horn Sheep in a Snowstorm

Nice series, I can see how focus was difficult with the large snow flakes.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd be pretty certain that is was the snow that was confusing the auto-focus. But out of that challenge came, I think, a very, very good set of images.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I particularly like the middle two photographs. Do you think some of the sluggishness may in part be due to the effect of the temperature on battery performance?

Real Name
    Janis

Very nice, Terri. The young one is #2 is adorable.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Terry,

Just to say that I think these turned out exceptionally beautiful! I adore all of these but I especially love images #2 and #3. I think #2 is truly precious for the moment, so beautifully captured and composed. And#3 for the unique composition/framing.

I suspect snow is just like mist and makes focusing more challenging but I'm truly not sure as I've only had the opportunity to photograph snowy scenes, perhaps twice. After viewing your images I'm thinking of moving to Colorado... For the snow and Big Horn Sheep, the latter which I've never seen.

Anyhow, gorgeous images!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Great shots, as usual from you, Terri. Well done. Regarding your Tamron 150-600, how much are you liking it (Focus accuracy/speed; Vibration reduction; Image quality, etc)?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mark

Really very, very nice. Wonderful series.

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Otavio, I have had my Tamron since May and have absolutely loved it - with the exception of shooting birds in flight. I have found the much talked about tracking issues for BIF to be true. So if I'm likely to be doing that, I use my 100-400. Funny thing is, with all the focus problems I was having with the snow, I actually got a decent juvenile bald eagle in flight in focus. Go figure... But even with this issue (that I was hoping they'd fixed by the time I got mine) I decided to keep the lens. For the cost, the extra reach for most of my photograph has been worth it. And with the battery grip on my 7D, I'm able to get sharp shots hand holding if I can prop the camera on my shoulder. By the way, I think the BIF issues I'm referring to were reported to be more prominent on the 7D so it may not be a problem on your camera.

Real Name
    Jim

Nice series Terri, enjoyed viewing. Have to go with the first as my pick.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Definitely the heavy snow with big flakes fooling the focus. I have shot a similar temperature or colder with no problem. What happens is the camera suddenly stops working when the battery gets too cold. (I carry two batteries and switch them out regularly; placing the one not in use in my trouser pocket next to my skin to keep warm.. My fingers fail before the camera does.)

Absolutely a great set of shots.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Thank you all for your kind comments.

Otavio, I have had my Tamron since May and have absolutely loved it - with the exception of shooting birds in flight. I have found the much talked about tracking issues for BIF to be true. So if I'm likely to be doing that, I use my 100-400. Funny thing is, with all the focus problems I was having with the snow, I actually got a decent juvenile bald eagle in flight in focus. Go figure... But even with this issue (that I was hoping they'd fixed by the time I got mine) I decided to keep the lens. For the cost, the extra reach for most of my photograph has been worth it. And with the battery grip on my 7D, I'm able to get sharp shots hand holding if I can prop the camera on my shoulder. By the way, I think the BIF issues I'm referring to were reported to be more prominent on the 7D so it may not be a problem on your camera.
    Thanks for the info, Terri. I appreciate it.

Real Name
    David

Wonderful captures Terri, very well done

Real Name
    Matthew

Terri, these are quite nice. The snowy atmosphere is something that I simply cannot resist in a photo. The snow will definitely mess with AF. I would not doubt the cold temperatures also were detrimental to the performance, though I can't scientifically confirm it. I have had my 7D malfunction quite a bit in cold temps.

Real Name
    Nick

This is the second Big horned Sheep in the snow series I have had the pleasure of viewing here recently, (Other from Teton Chuck). 1, 2, and 3 work best for me, I like the portrait + a little atmosphere you got in the first, the second has a lot to like about the whole scene, ( I like it that there is a little of the surroundings in it), and the third of course is an interesting composition, and it looks sharp. Even though it made it harder I think the snow was a bonus for these shots. It really makes them more special with the snow in the air and on the goats' backs. One suggestion I have, very minor, is if you use lightroom, you might move the color noise slider up a little to reduce what looks to me like red/green color noise, or maybe it was caused by the snowflakes somehow? Anyway, I think it could be removed easily. Well worth the outing IMO!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I prefer #1 and 3, Terri...#3 is a unique shot for me as I have not come across it before...each facing the other way. #1 is tops with its expression. I read somewhere that those disposable hand heaters are good for wrapping up on lenses when you take it out in the cold weather conditions. It also helps with the condensation issue later on. But then you live in a cold place more than I do, so what do I know...

Real Name
    John

Those are nice captures Terri all the more so for the atmosphere added by the falling snow.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

All of the photos are quite nice, as everyone has mentioned, but everything comes together especially well for me in the second one.

You mentioned hand holding the camera while propping it on your shoulder. I'm totally confused. How does one do that?

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You mentioned hand holding the camera while propping it on your shoulder. I'm totally confused. How does one do that?
    I'm holding the camera with my right hand, supporting the lens with my left hand, propping the camera (with battery grip) on my left shoulder. This works well for me because I am left eye dominant and use the left eye to look through the viewfinder. Trying to use my right eye is more difficult. The battery grip gives the camera enough height off my shoulder to get it to eye level. This does not work if I want to shoot in portrait orientation. If this doesn't make sense, take a look at the video in the below link at 1:21 minutes in. Seeing this guy do it gave me the idea. A lot of men don't have issue with the weight but it really pushes my limits, especially when extended to 600mm. With wildlife, there are just too many instances where a tripod is not practical so this technique makes this lens usable for me.

http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/f...amron-150.html

Real Name
    Terry

The guy looked like he was shouldering a rifle! Cool technique.

These shots are great Terri. I’m jealous.

Last time I was in CO I tried for some shots of these guys.

I might as well have been looking for unicorns as much luck as I had!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast