Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lantern - BW conversions

Real Name
    Ron

Lantern - BW conversions

Been practicing some BW - this attempt was based upon a jpg image which I opened in Elements 'RAW' to adjust ... I think it has a good mix of subject to practice on. I prefer the 2nd one but have I over cooked the contrast?
    Is either of these anywhere close to what I should be looking to acheive? Would appreciate opinions.

Lantern - BW conversions

Lantern - BW conversions

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Lantern - BW conversions

Hi, Ron;

I like the first. I'm inclined to say that you're right: the second image is a little overdone at both ends of the histogram. It's good to be able to see that the lantern is empty.

I think the first is good for B&W, since it takes away the color of the sky and foliage, so it helps keep attention on the lantern. It's also moody, and gives a more timeless feel, so it doesn't look like, "Here's a brand new color photo I took of a really old lantern."

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Nicole ("Nik")

personally, i prefer the second. i like 'overcooked'. maybe pull back on the whites just a bit, but i like the contrast much better.
    either way, great shot!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I note Nik's point and in response to a question like this, it's all about personal preference. For me, it's #1.

If you wanted to give the lantern a bit more 'pop' you could use a mask to adjust it and paint it on to the stone, sky etc of #1. I would compare the two by describing #1 as the more subtle, sophisticated image. #2 is 'bigger', more 'in your face'. But, as I say above, my view is not the 'right' view. It's only one view.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th April 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ron,

I like #1.5

I expect you can work out what I mean

If this were something other than a test shot, I'd being saying things like "clone out the foreground object bottom left and its shadow"
    I know, I'm hard to please

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Been practicing some BW - this attempt was based upon a jpg image which I opened in Elements 'RAW' to adjust ... I think it has a good mix of subject to practice on. I prefer the 2nd one but have I over cooked the contrast?
    Is either of these anywhere close to what I should be looking to acheive? Would appreciate opinions.
    Hi Ron,

I would rather suggest, put Image #1 in the 1st Layer and Image #2 on 2nd layer, Change Mode to Soft Light and opacity to 50 %

Lantern - BW conversions

Real Name
    Nicole ("Nik")

this! perfect. =)

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Hi Ron,

I would rather suggest, put Image #1 in the 1st Layer and Image #2 on 2nd layer, Change Mode to Soft Light and opacity to 50 %

Lantern - BW conversions

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    this! perfect.
    Agreed. Ashwin called that one correctly.

Real Name
    Rick

This is very good-looking, but maybe combine it with Donald's earlier suggestion? If you mask the lantern, you can use this the overlay to make the lantern "pop" while keeping the clouds and background mountains more subdued. Assuming that's what you want: as he also said, there's no right answer.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks all for your very informed replies. Agreed, somewhere in between is the way to go.
    I will continue my homework using this shot + develop some basic skills in masking etc ... must also look to take a good shot in RAW.

As indicated, for these 'Lantern's', even though shot in jpg, I used the Elements ACR to make the adjustments (per Scott Kelby) ... seemed a good place to start.
    One think is clear ... BW seems to be very acceptable so work, work, work
    Goodonyer Donald for your deserved wins.

Real Name
    Ron

Two more BW attempts. This time, again I used what I have in recent 'possibilities', both were jpg. Followed Scott Kelby using layers, gradient maps, RGB channels etc.
    I think that these show some improvement ... hope, hope

With Donald backpacking for 8 days we may have a chance in BW's ... quick get the BW comps active!

Lantern - BW conversions

Lantern - BW conversions

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think that these show some improvement
    So do I ... Well, not sure that 'improvement' is the word. 'Development' is more appropriate, because you are on a learning journey.

Thought I post a first reaction to the first image, which is what I felt as soon as I opened the post: - The tone of the sky is not 'different enough'. By the use of sliders/curves, etc, you could make it significantly darker, or lighter. Why? To separate it, to a greater extent than at present, from the building and the rock beside it. And what about getting some local contrast enhancement onto the church and the rock?

But, if I may say so, it's not just in the B & W conversion department that the development seems to be happening. I hope it's not taken as patronising to suggest that the 'eye-for-the-picture' has taken a big development step as well.

The other point is - this doesn't look Norwegian. Neither did the lantern. Where were you?

With Donald backpacking for 8 days we may have a chance in BW's
    This sounds as if there's some sort of athletic, active and adventurous pursuit going to be happening. Don't do 'roughing it' nowadays. This is about a comfortable rented cottage and car at the door. The decision to abandon phones and computer is through choice, not necessity. Okay, I'll force myself to tramp along beaches and across moors ... but that's it!
    Last edited by Donald; 20th April 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    So do I ... Well, not sure that 'improvement' is the word. 'Development' is more appropriate, because you are on a learning journey.

... The other point is - this doesn't look Norwegian. Neither did the lantern. Where were you?
    Thanks Donald ... some interesting points you are raising.
    Pics were taken in Spain back in Feb this year and we also elect comfy accom although my lady is trying to persuade me to go camping in a tent again
    Its not so bad until you get cramp in the back of the leg and then try to escape a 'tunnel tent' for a needed stretch Kind of chaotic ... would make a good pic!
    Avagoodun
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th April 2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: fix closing quote tag

Real Name
    Steve

Yes it is an interesting lantern, wouldn't it be better to take the pic at night or dusk. I can't see how it is possible to improve on what you've done.

Real Name

Hi Ron,

Are the next two open to general critique? Or just regarding the BW conversions (which look OK to me)?

Wicked wink:

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Yes it is an interesting lantern, wouldn't it be better to take the pic at night or dusk. I can't see how it is possible to improve on what you've done.
    Couldn't get to it at night Steve but would have been worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Ron,
    Are the next two open to general critique? Or just regarding the BW conversions (which look OK to me)?
    Wicked wink:
    Any inputs are always most welcome Dave. Composition and cropping I always mull over a lot and spot the obvious when its often too late

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Composition and cropping I always mull over a lot and spot the obvious when its often too late
    Oh, good, it's not just me that does that then

On #1; I don't think the sky and rock contribute at all (plus both a very similar tone) and I would (especially given the title) suggest a closer, and possibly straightened, crop of just the tower with balcony.

On #2; I really like this picture, but feel it just needs something sorta diametrically opposite the turret to balance the composition - perhaps a person on/behind the wall? (in bright L shape in lower right corner)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Oh, good, it's not just me that does that then
    Cheers,
    Some things get slower as we get older
    Thanks for your pointers Dave, good thinking. I won't work on these any more as its time to get up to date again with some more shots. And we even have now just lost the snow so getting out and about is not such a hazard.