Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Color Matching Photos: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Ken,

I'm off to show an example which I will post later . .
    Before:

Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

After:

Color, saturation, and brightness of the petals were changed but everything else stayed the same.

Magic! RawTherapee - don't leave home without it . ..
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 14th November 2014 at 05:56 PM.

xpatUSA,

Am very impressed with the "HSV Equalizer" photos!!!

Would like to change the saturation... of sky without making changes to the other blue areas of these photos.

Did quick search for HSV Equalizer tutorials but only found the Wiki info http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=HSV_Equalizer and video tutorial "FOTOGRAFIA PHOT015 RAW THERAPEE HSV EQUALIZER MISTURADOR DE CANAIS RGB CURVES B" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f96JMudgDk

Am interested in any tips or suggestions using "HSV Equalizer"

Ken

Re: Photo Colour Analysis Software Recommendations?

ajohnw,

"If the OP really wants to produce near identical shots from different cameras the only option really will be camera calibration."

Agree, I was only trying to match them as close as possible and before I posted this was not too successful.

Ken

chauncey,

"should you have access to the RAW files...running them thru most RAW converters will enable you to "balance" the RGB numbers to get the same "look"."

Unfortunately most of the photos are only JPGs.

Also my objective is not exact copies but as you said "to get the same look".

Ken

xpatUSA,

"Have a look at ImageJ which has lots of functions that I haven't used yet."

Did some checking and ImageJ looks very interesting with all the available plugins.

How do you use it?

Ken

xpatUSA,

"Then there's ShowImage" The only thing I found uses HAIKU OS, is this the correct app?
    https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/usergu...showimage.html

Ken

Was able to find more detailed info on "HSV equalizer" but it may not be up to date?

"This is where the inheritance pattern has clearly reversed: if you ever used darktable (or Blender, where the idea came from), you will find HSV Equalizer very familiar: it provides same means to edit pixels in Hue, Saturation and Value channels. Basically, you get a linear representation of hues circle (in HSV hues are measured in angles), and for an interesting part of the hue range you can adjust brightness and saturation. That is, you can e.g. control brightness and saturation for skintones.

HSV equalizer

Both principle and implementation are very similar to darktable's, including adjustment of of hue zones borders. The only functional difference apropos darktable is that the implementation in RawTehrapee is missing a color picker."
    http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/e...awtherapee-3-0

Ken

Real Name
    Garth

Hi Ken,

Many image editing packages can do this, possibly the one you already have although it may be necessary to activate the feature. My preference is Paintshop Pro. As you move the pointer around the image the RGB values are displayed in the information strip along the bottom of the monitor.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by KenO View Post
    xpatUSA,

"Then there's ShowImage" The only thing I found uses HAIKU OS, is this the correct app?
    https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/usergu...showimage.html

Ken
    That ain't it. I've put my copy up here for you to download:

http://kronometric.org/phot/xfer/ShowImage.ZIP

It's a Windows program. Runs OK under XP, can't guarantee later OS's.

comes without a manual - one them suck-it-and-see utilities - not real difficult though.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 15th November 2014 at 01:50 AM.

Real Name
    Ted

xpatUSA,

Would like to change the saturation... of sky without making changes to the other blue areas of these photos.

Ken
    Oh, oh, the goalposts moved

If the sky is blue and the areas are blue, igualmente, RawTherapee's HSV Equalizer can not do that.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post

If the sky is blue and the areas are blue, igualmente, RawTherapee's HSV Equalizer can not do that.
    It depends on the degree of difference in the blues. Personally I prefer the LH etc set as they aren't so vigorous.

One thing for sure if the OP wants to meet there objectives calibrating the cameras is a much more sensible option. They are not that accurate colour wise anyway.

John
    -

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    =xpatUSA

If the sky is blue and the areas are blue, igualmente . . . .
    It depends on the degree of difference in the blues.
    That'll teach me to get smart, throwing in Spanish, duh. Anyhow, "igualmente" means equally (as in equally blue) - but your point is well made

Hi JHzlwd,

"Many image editing packages can do this, possibly the one you already have although it may be necessary to activate the feature."

You are more advanced than I am. My favorite Photo Editor is FastStone IV http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm Here is the only manual(out of date but still on website) and did a quick recheck but did not see anything. http://www.faststonesoft.net/DN/FSIV_Tutorial.pdf Also searched and found http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=207
    "no Screen Color Picker, but those are small omissions"

Have also used IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/ You are correct there is a plugin did quick search and found
    https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=9592 which recommends Picpick http://www.picpick.org/en/ "The color picker tool has a small magnified window showing an image of the region near the cursor so that you can see exactly which pixel the mouse is over. It constantly displays the R,G,B values of the pixel as you move the cursor around and if you click on one it opens a color box to show more details"

Thanks for the tip got me searching again!

Ken

xpatUSA,

Thanks for the ShowImage link. Have DL and opened OK.

Since there is no manual do you have any tips or suggestions using it?

Ken

xpatUSA,

"If the sky is blue and the areas are blue, igualmente, RawTherapee's HSV Equalizer can not do that."

From this am guessing that HSV Equalizer works fine if selected color is different but poorly if photo has the same (or similar) color(s) in different areas.

Question is how color selective HSV Equalizer is? At least it is worth a try!

Ken

ajohnw,

"It depends on the degree of difference in the blues. Personally I prefer the LH etc set as they aren't so vigorous."

I do not know what you mean by "prefer the LH etc set as they aren't so vigorous"? Would you please explain in beginners language.

Thanks

Ken

ajohnw,

"One thing for sure if the OP wants to meet there objectives calibrating the cameras is a much more sensible option. They are not that accurate colour wise anyway"

Guess I did not explain things very well. Am not interested in accurate colour at this time plus I only have JPGs so objective is to make the photos similar (as if shot by same camera).

Ken

Real Name
    John

ajohnw,

"It depends on the degree of difference in the blues. Personally I prefer the LH etc set as they aren't so vigorous."

I do not know what you mean by "prefer the LH etc set as they aren't so vigorous"? Would you please explain in beginners language.

Thanks

Ken
    The adjustment Ted mentioned can push colours a lot. There is another set of lab adjustments in RT, LH,CH and HH, lightness, chromaticity and hue that aren't so sensitive to use.

John
    -

Real Name
    Ted

xpatUSA,

Thanks for the ShowImage link. Have DL and opened OK.

Since there is no manual do you have any tips or suggestions using it?

Ken
    Part of a flower shot:

This one shows a normal histogram with levels as the x-axis. FastStone shows the same view in Curves.

I imagine your main interest would be seeing it's HSV analyses. For example:

Hue:

Here the hue distribution is shown and the histogram x-axis is hue which is why it is red at both ends because the x-axis is the standard hue circle periphery where 0-255 represents 0-360 degrees of hue. Look carefully and see that the reds are represented by quite a narrow shape as are the yellows. Meaning the main color of this flower could be adjusted quite easily.

Saturation:

The x-axis is one of saturation, which is not the same as brightness. Almost dark colors can be 100% saturated. Typical of a flower, there are more well-saturated colors than not.

Value:

The x-axis here is similar but not identical to selecting 'luminosity' in a normal histogram. Also, in this image is shown all the different kinds of picker data using the different color models RGB, HSV, etc. If the mouse is not in the image area, this data is not shown and that is why it is missing from the first three images above.

You should note that there are 56,108 separate colors (hues), even in this simple image, which makes your intended use of a single-pixel color-picker for analysis rather interesting.

Good luck,
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 16th November 2014 at 01:53 AM.

John,

"The adjustment Ted mentioned can push colours a lot. There is another set of lab adjustments in RT, LH,CH and HH, lightness, chromaticity and hue that aren't so sensitive to use."

Thanks for the clarification. My problem is am new to all this.

Ken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast