Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone switched from or added the 7D2 to their 7D

Real Name
    Richard

Has anyone switched from or added the 7D2 to their 7D

I am wondering if anyone who has had experience with the 7D has switched to the 7D2 or added the 7D2 to their 7D kit.

I would like to know:

1. What made you decide to switch to, or add the 7D2?
    2. What was the 7D lacking for you personally?
    3. What is your general opinion regarding the new camera? Has the 7D2 given you what you were seeking?
    4. What specifically do you like about the 7D2?
    5. What, if anything, are you disappointed with in the 7D2?
    6. If you have not mentioned this, please compare the AF of the 7D2 against the 7D; specifically how it works for you!

What I am looking for is how the 7D2 is helping you in what you are shooting, not necessarily the added capabilities of the 7D2 that you have not used but like...

I am not really too interested in the findings of members who switched from an older camera to the 7D2. I know when I started using the 7D in tandem with the 40D, I was really blown away by many things about the 7D, including: auto-focus and the menu choices. However, my old 90mm f/2.8 Tamron AF SP (not the present Di model) seems to interface better with the 40D than with my 7D (especially concerning fill flash). So I am keeping my 40D which is still a fine camera. I don't do enough macro work to justify replacing my macro lens...

Presently, the 7D2 runs about $1,800 USD at Adorama. A refurbished 7D costs more now that when I bought my first one several years ago. I paid about $900 for one and just above $800 for the second 7D. I got both cameras on sale and both cameras cost me about what a new 7D2 would run, I bought one refurbished 7D from Canon and the second from Adorama.

The 7D is still (at less that $1,000 USD) quite a bit less expensive than the new 7D2. I don't know if I will replace one of my two 7D cameras with a 7D2 because I don't really know if I actually need the bells and whistles of the 7D2 but, I do know that I will wait until sufficient quantities appear as refurbished items from Canon, B&H, or Adorama before seriously considering the 7D2...

I really like my 7D cameras and I am in no great hurry to dump one or both of them. My final query to those who are using a 7D and a 7D2 in tandem: are the controls similar enough for you to be comfortable using both cameras? I have always shot with a pair of Canon DSLR cameras since I added a 350D to my 10D as my two camera kit. However, it has only been the last couple of years that I shot with two identical cameras (my two 7D bodies). That really is a luxury... Not a necessity, mind you, but it certainly is comfortable shooting with two cameras having identical controls and identical batteries.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 5th November 2014 at 03:48 PM.

Re: Has anyone switched from or added the 7D2 to their 7D

Richard:

The only APS/C I've ever had is the 30D which I still use, but I'm thinking semi-seriously about the 7DII, and the following is one of the reasons:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014...open-the-7d-ii

And you might find some of this thread interesting and useful:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/v...?f=57&t=249565

Glenn

Real Name
    Kathy

I've never held a 7D, so I have nothing useful to post here, but while you're waiting for some responses, I highly recommend taking a look at Cicala's examination of the 7D2's weathersealing:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014...open-the-7d-ii

and note his opening comment:

...after a fairly short exposure to the autofocus system, I have to admit I like it. There’s just something about getting every shot in focus every time that’s appealing to me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sorry, Richard, to merely add another comment that does not address your question. I, like you in the past, am moving from 40 to 7. I am hoping my 7DMkII will arrive this week.

I am very interested in ....

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    I highly recommend taking a look at Cicala's examination of the 7D2's weathersealing:
    ... as the weather-sealing claim was one of the selling points for me. I am hugely encouraged to read that report. Given that I deliberately go out when the weather is grey and damp, the prospect of something that is well weather-sealed appealed enormously.

I am now even more encouraged after reading this.

Real Name
    Richard

I WISH... that I would need weather sealing to shoot around here. We are in the midst of an epic drought and need any rain that we could get...

I like the fact that the 7D2 can use CF Cards because that way I wouldn't have to carry two types of cards. I am glad that they retained CF card capability...

OTOH the 7D is really a nice camera and I just wonder if the 7D2 would be worth the upgrade "for my uses"...

BTW: here is some information on the 7D2 that seems interesting - especially the pdf manual on autofocus of that camera...

http://www.canonrumors.com/category/...on-7d-mark-ii/

The dual memory card system is just one check on my wish list of improvements/changes to the 7D. The others are:

ISO 50 or below...
    Autofocus at f/8...
    Audio record files linked to the images to record data regarding the images...

If the 7D2 had introduced these features (which Canon has already implemented on some selected 1D cameras), I would have been the first in line to get the new camera.

I really wish that Canon had invested their research and marketing dollars into making the 7Dx into a truly superb still camera.

O.K., I know! Video and gargantuan ISO numbers are what sell cameras in today's markets...

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ISO 50 or below...
    You know that the way Canon does this is by digital pull-processing in the camera, right? (I.e., you're overexposing by a stop and then having a tone curve applied). I have iso 50 on my 5DMkII. All you're doing is lowering the dynamic range for that shot. You may get less noise and more detail in the shadows, but you risk blowing the highlights more easily.

Autofocus at f/8...
    7DMkII has this, given that its sensor is based on the 70D's. The 70D's capability of autofocus with f/8 is because of the ability to use the image sensor for phase detection AF.

From the dpreview First Impressions (bold mine for emphasis):

... Additionally, the center point is capable of focusing with lenses (or lens/teleconverter combinations) as slow as f/8, as well as down to EV -3. This gives that center point a 1 EV advantage in low light compared to the 1D X and 5D Mark III.
    Last edited by inkista; 5th November 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo fixes.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    From the dpreview First Impressions (bold mine for emphasis):
    See also page 1 (Introduction) for a comparison of 7D and 7D2.

I am envious of your buffer!

Real Name
    Dan

The list of features is extremely impressive. It improves on the 5DIII in a number of respects, which is saying something, since the 5DIII is an amazingly capable camera.

Real Name
    Kay

Another very goof thread for those of us with a current 7D, or considering the new one.
    My question is not about the auto focusing, which has been made much of, but rather the 'gargantuan ISO numbers' - great phrase Richard btw!

I find my 7D lacks performance in the low light dark floor gymnasium, where a lot of school & amateur sport is played.
    The noise at 3200 is too noticeable for me and unfortunately that is where I have to operate at.... I glance longingly at the full frame 5Dresults others get..
    So I will be interested to follow the reports from others regarding how the 7D2 handles low light & fast moving target conditions...

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Kay it appears that DXOMark have tested the 7DII. This comparison chart from that site shows the dynamic range vs ISO setting measurements.

Has anyone switched from or added the 7D2 to their 7D

At ISO 3200, the dynamic range (and hence the noise floor) of the 7DII is about 0.9 of a stop better than the 7D. The 5DIII is about 0.7 of a stop better than the 7DII. You should therefore get noticeable improvement in noise performance with the 7DII over the 7D. It would be good to see some actual images though.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    At ISO 3200, the dynamic range (and hence the noise floor) of the 7DII is about 0.9 of a stop better than the 7D. The 5DIII is about 0.7 of a stop better than the 7DII. You should therefore get noticeable improvement in noise performance with the 7DII over the 7D. It would be good to see some actual images though.
    The best examples I've seen were from Scott Kelby (http://scottkelby.com/2014/real-worl...on-7d-mark-ii/). In his video review of the pre-production model that he was given to field test, he shot inside the locker/changing room of an Americam football team .,... at 16000 ISO. You could see noise in dark areas when he zoomed in really close. But for any 'real world' situation, you would not have noticed anything problematic.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th November 2014 at 09:12 AM.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Another none 7D user (1DS MK ii & 600D backup) Looked at the 7D ii and for a camera that is supposed to be an upgrade why is there no wireless function? The 70D between 600 and 700 UKP has wireless option. JMO but thought for what it costs to place in camera it was a big leave out on Canons part.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    ... why is there no wireless function?
    Apparently because of the magnesium alloy body that would interfere with a wireless signal.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Apparently because of the magnesium alloy body that would interfere with a wireless signal.
    Pretty poor excuse on there part, in the 21st century there must be technology to insert/build in a small aerial to overcome that problem. I would guess the real reason is that Canon want those who would like wireless option to buy the WFT‑E7A at around £769.00
    Russ

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Pretty poor excuse on there part, in the 21st century there must be technology to insert/build in a small aerial to overcome that problem. I would guess the real reason is that Canon want those who would like wireless option to buy the WFT‑E7A at around £769.00
    Russ
    Why do you need wifi on a body such as this?

Real Name
    Richard

I guess that this is too early for "real life photographers" to make a comparison between their 7D and the 7D2 that they either own or have shot with.

Sure the statistics of the 7D2 show it as a superior instrument but, the question is: How much do I need the 7D2? Many "reviews" are simply rehash of the manufacturers press releases...

I don't necessarily trust published reviews. Reviewers have their own agendas. Do you think that Scott Kelby would retain his Canon contract very long if he was negative or even wishy-washy about new Canon equipment? If he was, I have a sneaky suspicion that the Canon gravy train would roll on to a new station along the line...

I might just rent a 7D2 for a weekend and see if the added capabilities (granted there are many) are worth the extra cash to me. If I were shooting professionally again, my cameras would be a tax deductible item and I would keep purchasing the newest and best. Do I need the newest and best now?

Here is an analogy: Do I need a hundred thousand megaton nuclear device to destroy a target or will a fifty thousand megaton bomb do the job adequately?

Another way to look at the new equipment... Donald has been shooting for years with an older Canon DSLR (40D) and his images are excellent. Would his image of the dog jumping the hurdle have been better if shot with a 50D, a 7D or a 7D2?
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th November 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Another way to look at the new equipment... Donald has been shooting for years with an older Canon DSLR (40D) and his images are excellent. Would his image of the dog jumping the hurdle have been better if shot with a 50D, a 7D or a 7D2?
    No, I don't think so. But what I am looking to is that the 7DMkii opens up opportunities for image-making that present too much of a challenge for the 40D; e.g. very low light when a flash unit is not an option.

But, at the end of the day, what has happened to me, for I think the first time, is that I got an urge to want what is new. As I said in a thread that I started up about this new body. I don't need it. My life is not going to put at risk and I am not going to suffer by not having it. But I want it. And I am in the very fortunate position of being able to buy it. So I have.

Real Name
    Richard

Sometimes, when we are in a financial situation (as I was when I basically replaced my 40D with a second 7D) in which we can afford a piece of gear; just wanting it is reason enough to purchase it...

Also when we are getting quite decent imagery with the equipment at hand, the added capabilities of the new gear MAY help us enlarge our ability to work under more difficult conditions. I really like the luxury of operating with two identical cameras...

There are times, of course, in which the basic entry level camera and kit lens just cannot do the job adequately. A case in mind is shooting indoor sports such as basketball and/or gymnastics (there are, of course, many other examples). A more sophisticated camera with a better lens is probably the only resort when the photographer wants/needs to shoot in those venues...

The time that a new camera is perhaps not warranted is when the photographer is not generally achieving decent imagery with the equipment that is being used and thinks that a new camera (such as replacing a crop camera with a full frame model) will miraculously improve his or her imagery.

If a photographer desires to work professionally, I think that it behooves that photographer to shoot with state of the art gear.

However, I once saw a great photo essay done by a photojournalist working in Iraq that was shot with an Olympus 5050Z which was sort of a 1990's version of a bridge camera. That's not the camera I would choose but, it got the job done.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th November 2014 at 05:04 PM.

I suppose if I accidentally gave my current 7D a 'float test' or used it to stop a speeding bus!

Then it would make sense to get a mark 2 for the improved weather sealing; but I can't really see anything else there which would interest me.

Real Name
    Kathy

I guess that this is too early for "real life photographers" to make a comparison between their 7D and the 7D2 that they either own or have shot with. ...
    Given that B&H says they anticipate shipping orders on Nov. 10, I'd say yes, this is probably the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast