Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon overclocking FPS

Real Name
    Phil Page

Nikon overclocking FPS

I've stumbled across something yesterday which allows me to increase my fps rate on my D700.

Looking through google searches reveals several other Nikon bodies which can offer differing fps rate, going down the official route.

The official route being to use a battery grip with AA batteries or (in the case of the D700) a D3/D3S battery.

Even though I've got a battery grip for my D700 I never tried the AA battery route, so found the following as a work around:

• In the controls section of the menu, set up the Fn button for bracketing
    • Going out of the menu and hold down the Fn button while dialling in the full 9 shots of bracketing (viewable on the top place LCD or main LCD screen)
    • Into the menu again and (for D700) go to e5 and e6 to set the bracketing for "flash only"
    • Put the camera into single shot mode
    • Keep the on camera flash down (!)

Now by holding the Fn button and holding the shutter release down I get 8fps instead of 5fps for a total of 9 shots.

Going into e5 and selecting AE only, keeping e6 as flash only gives you the ability to hand hold for bracketing bursts for HDR/blending at speed - certainly a lot quicker than tripod use if you can get away with it and have stationary subjects

Hardly worrying a D3/D3S/D4/D4S user, I know, but potentially useful in short bursts.

So the question is - D600/D800/D810 (and maybe D7000/D7100) users - is this a workaround to gain faster fps in bursts for you?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Nikon overclocking FPS

Phil you are a very bad boy...

I suppose Nikon try and avoid using the fastest rate as the resulting slightly sustained high current draw from the Li-ion battery may over heat it. Obviously the shutter and processor can cope.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 31st October 2014 at 06:34 PM.

Real Name
    Phil Page

9 shots Max - and I might occasionally use it for a quick 4-5 shots. I need to get a new camera soon anyway lol

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I've stumbled across something yesterday which allows me to increase my fps rate on my D700.

Looking through google searches reveals several other Nikon bodies which can offer differing fps rate, going down the official route.

The official route being to use a battery grip with AA batteries or (in the case of the D700) a D3/D3S battery.

Even though I've got a battery grip for my D700 I never tried the AA battery route, so found the following as a work around:

• In the controls section of the menu, set up the Fn button for bracketing
    • Going out of the menu and hold down the Fn button while dialling in the full 9 shots of bracketing (viewable on the top place LCD or main LCD screen)
    • Into the menu again and (for D700) go to e5 and e6 to set the bracketing for "flash only"
    • Put the camera into single shot mode
    • Keep the on camera flash down (!)

Now by holding the Fn button and holding the shutter release down I get 8fps instead of 5fps for a total of 9 shots.

Going into e5 and selecting AE only, keeping e6 as flash only gives you the ability to hand hold for bracketing bursts for HDR/blending at speed - certainly a lot quicker than tripod use if you can get away with it and have stationary subjects

Hardly worrying a D3/D3S/D4/D4S user, I know, but potentially useful in short bursts.

So the question is - D600/D800/D810 (and maybe D7000/D7100) users - is this a workaround to gain faster fps in bursts for you?
    Could you please post the steps for Nikon D5200?
    I will try those out, Nikon mentions 5 fps for D5200 however I get 4.5X when tried for 3+ sec with JPEG and mirror up (live view)

Real Name
    Phil Page

Well firstly you should try this at your own risk!

And secondly I think this will only work as a workaround for Nikon bodies which have a standard high speed fps rate and a potentially higher rate with additional grip and batteries. I'm not sure if the D5200 fits in...?

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

And secondly I think this will only work as a workaround for Nikon bodies which have a standard high speed fps rate and a potentially higher rate with additional grip and batteries. I'm not sure if the D5200 fits in...?

Real Name
    John

Phil,

The D5200 tends to cease after 5fps as it writes to the card, as do most cameras; do you see the same write speed performance when you overclock your camera?