Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Eye to eye is not always the same as nose to nose!

Real Name
    Brian

Eye to eye is not always the same as nose to nose!

Eye to eye is not always the same as nose to nose!

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Eye to eye is not always the same as nose to nose!

I like it very much Brian. First of all , I had to look carefully to see it and when I saw it, it made me laugh, a funny one I also like the colors,composition and light very much in the image.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I like it very much Brian. First of all , I had to look carefully to see it and when I saw it, it made me laugh, a funny one I also like the colors,composition and light very much in the image.
    I will claim a certain skill set that produced a good shot BUT the eyes pointing up and back... pure good luck.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good capture Brian,

I have never properly understood compound eyes, which I am assuming this chap has.

Does the pigmentation indicate where they are looking?
    Is that so for some, or all, species with compound eyes?
    I suspect "some", from pictures seen, I can believe it for say Preying Mantis or indeed these chaps and their cousins, but butterflies often have multiple strips, so how does that work, are they processing images from each stripe?

Or perhaps my assumption regarding the eyes of your subject is incorrect and these are 'chameleon like' proper eye balls with a vast range of swivel movement?

Puzzled, Dave

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Good capture Brian,

I have never properly understood compound eyes, which I am assuming this chap has.

Does the pigmentation indicate where they are looking?
    Is that so for some, or all, species with compound eyes?
    I suspect "some", from pictures seen, I can believe it for say Preying Mantis or indeed these chaps and their cousins, but butterflies often have multiple strips, so how does that work, are they processing images from each stripe?

Or perhaps my assumption regarding the eyes of your subject is incorrect and these are 'chameleon like' proper eye balls with a vast range of swivel movement?

Puzzled, Dave
    Dave you piqued my curiosity and it is slightly more complicated than either of us may have believed. Grasshoppers have both 'compound' and 'simple' eyes. The two large eyes are compound eyes and there are three simple eyes between the compound eyes. If you click on the following link and then click on number 32 (bottom of page) you will find a diagram showing all 5 eyes. http://www.uwlax.edu/Biology/Zoo-lab/Lab-8--Arthropods/

Compound eyes by definition are made up of separate eyes with each one looking in a particular direction. this can give a field of view of up to 150 degrees.What follows is only my guess; I have noted on larger compound eyes (like the dragonfly) a clear gel covering the eye which allows the focal point(?) to be seen from different angles which may give the illusion that their eyes are rotating to observe you or me?
    Last edited by JBW; 29th October 2014 at 01:29 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Looks like one of the Groundhopper species to me. An interesting family that often get overlooked amongst the undergrowth.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Looks like one of the Groundhopper species to me. An interesting family that often get overlooked amongst the undergrowth.
    I just did a quick web search and I do believe you are right. Any day that I learn something new is a good day, thanks!