Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemplation

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Contemplation

As regulars on here know, I'm not known as a people photographer. Trees and walls are more my thing.

But this weekend, the Scottish Ploughing Championship is on close to my home. Day 1 was today. Day 2 tomorrow. I have a photographer's pass for both days.

I was on site at 7:30am and there to see all the preparations taking place. That included the horse ploughing teams getting up, fed and made ready in the shed that was acting as their stable.

There are more to follow, but in the meantime, I'd welcome comment and critique on this image, particularly as it's not my usual 'thing'. It felt as if both man and horse were thinking about the day's competition that lay ahead.

Contemplation
    40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 57mm. ISO800. 1/60s@f2.8
    Last edited by Donald; 25th October 2014 at 08:06 PM.

Real Name
    steve

Re: Contemplation

Donald - I think I'd look to put a gentle vignette on it just to drive the focus a little further into the image.

But as far as 'contemplation' goes I'd say you hit it.

steve

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured, you should branch out more often.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely captured, you should branch out more often.
    The irony (is that the word?) of this was that I was thinking that if I had had a 7D MkII, it would have made such a difference in what was, generally, a very low light day. And it would open up the opportunity to do more things like this.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself ...! But 800 ISO on a 40D is just about tops. You really have to nail the exposure. Whereas Scott Kelby is showing images taken at 16000 ISO on the new 7DMkII that looked great.

Real Name
    Kay

People and horses, a wonderful combination.
    I like that the horse has its ears listening to the man, most 'posed' horse photos show the ears pricked forward toward the camera. That looks great, but I think in this particular instance, they position of he ears tells the story of the bond between the 2.
    My only suggestion would be to maybe tone down the bright shiny piece of 'gear' on the horse's head. I know it's part of the ploughing attachment/gear but I think it's just a teeny bit shiny, I think that might work better & serve the same purpose as Steve's vignette idea. I think a vignette would not work here due to the position of the white face in the bottom corner.

I do look forward to seeing some more, what a great event to go to!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    ...the position of he ears tells the story of the bond between the 2.

My only suggestion would be to maybe tone down the bright shiny piece of 'gear' on the horse's head.
    Kay - Thanks for this. Yes to the bit of gear on the head.

The man was indeed talking to the horse all the time. I've written on here before, when I put up horse ploughing pictures, of the amazing bond that exists between horse and the person at the back steering the plough. I described it elsewhere as something I find quite emotional and intimate. He/she just quietly talk to the team of horses and it's as if there is an innate understanding between them. It really is the most amazing thing to witness and experience.

Real Name
    Greg

Intriguing composition, Donald. Two centres of interest separated by a darker space, but linked by that strong curve of the man's arm and the horse's collar. The whole semi-circular shape might be seen to form a horse shoe. And beautifully processed, as always.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Donald, there is a definite bond betweenthis man and his team.

The gentleness with which this man adjusts the hames and harness says it all.

The directionality of the light as it shows on the horse's and the man's faces and your conversion which preserves it, spotlights characters in this vignette.

'Rie

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    The directionality of the light as it shows on the horse's and the man's faces and your conversion which preserves it, spotlights characters in this vignette.'Rie
    That was the first thing that struck me when I saw it.

Man and his beast, captured perfectly.

Real Name
    Kim

Just beautiful. It's perfect in B&W.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Great artistry in that one Donald, it really works for me.

As for the 7D II, I think you should blow the moths out of your wallet and just buy it !

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 26th October 2014 at 01:10 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

Great shot Donald!

Could just be my failing eyes (and everything else!) but did you check the levels on this? Looks globally a bit dark to me.

Also I think another global adjustment could be made by a shiny new 7D MkII. Not sure how but just something I feel in my gut!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice shot, Donald. This image works really well.

As others have noted, the "ring" of brightness created by the man's arms and face as well as the light area on the horse's head draw our attention into the centre of the image, much like a vignette would. The dark areas around the edges of the shot almost add a second vignette, pulling our eyes into the first one.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for your comments ... especially those who told me that I should get a 7DMkII. I think it would definitely take better pictures!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Could just be my failing eyes (and everything else!) but did you check the levels on this? Looks globally a bit dark to me.
    Terry - Interesting you say that. I was checking the 'loupe' on Nik Silver Efex Pro as I was processing and thinking, "OMG, I've never made an image with so much black in it", but I just felt that in this case it worked. In fact, there was a bit of detail in the background behind the man's head and I increased the blacks in that area.

I'm glad that those of you who have commented on it, like the composition. I knew I was making two centres of interest as I captured it and hoped it would work.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th October 2014 at 06:51 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

It's not often I feel I can usefully comment on your photos, especially the monochrome ones, but if I had shot this, I would amend the processing as follows;
    Like Terry, I do feel the need to see a little more detail in the shadows, but appreciate this may give noise issues to deal with* and also may not be appropriate if applied globally (by revealing other distractions), so I'd look to mask and apply them only in 'choice' areas, such as the ploughman's right hand and the horse's left side.

* It is a very 'clean' image (which works for me), despite the 40D and 800iso, so perhaps you have already addressed noise?

Another thing I would look at is the brightness and sharpness of some specific parts of the metalwork on the harness, et al.
    If mine, I would consider very selectively dealing with a few areas that either 'grab the eye' (e.g. the forward 'finial' between the ears, which I'd soften and dull slightly) or 'confuse the shapes' (e.g. the bright part leading off the ploughman's chin, which I believe could be cloned out entirely with no detriment to the image as a whole). That's not an exhaustive list, but the examples are the two things I would definitely address in PP, there are some others which, if dealt with, might be argued would detract from a 'documentary' shot, but I feel would lead to a 'better photograph'.

I would also consider reducing the overall sharpening amount - I'd try say, four/fifths of whatever you applied (perhaps also a reduction of threshold by 1?), as the texture of his skin (face and left hand) is just a tad too 'crackling' for my eyes (when viewed at 100% in Lytebox).

I do appreciate that you've put this up ahead of others shot yesterday (and today, hopefully), and therefore it may not have had the usual amount of PP time you would give your normal masterpieces.

Hope that's helpful, Dave

PS: I am also acutely aware that it has been years since I have posted anything here of photographic merit, so perhaps it is time I got out and did something meaningful with my cameras and lenses!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th October 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image, I like the B&W conversion very much

Real Name
    David Phillips

I agree with others Donald.It really is a terrific conversion.

Just one small point occurs to me:it would be good to be able to selectively lighten the horse`s eye.

Just my modest input.

Real Name
    David

Wonderful capture Donald!

David

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Donald,

Just to say that I love this image for the composition and moment captured. (seems like the gentleman and the horse are lost in thought) I also love how you used the available light (as is in the image seems perfect to me), something to learn from for me.

Wonderful composition with an emotional connection for me. Some have suggested dodging some areas, but I would [only brighten the horses left eye to bring in that detail and blend that in along the shadow from nose to crown.

Beautiful B/W conversion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast