Thread: Bridge CC worth it?

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Bridge CC worth it?

I have Photoshop CC ( subscription ) and a standalone LR5. I was wondering if anyone here installed Bridge CC and how its working for them and if its worth it?

Tried googling but all reviews are outdated with the latest being 4 months old.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Bridge CC worth it?

I have both LR and Photoshop CC, I use Bridge to move my images from my camera to the computer and to file those images. I do not like the way LR does the same, I do not like the way it stores my images, with Bridge if I move a image from one folder to another it is there when I look for it, with LR it can't find it, it all comes down to in a way how your brain works, mine is more old school. I only use LR to play around in, all my images are started in ACR and finished in Photoshop.
    Hope that is of some help.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    I have both LR and Photoshop CC, I use Bridge to move my images from my camera to the computer and to file those images. I do not like the way LR does the same, I do not like the way it stores my images, with Bridge if I move a image from one folder to another it is there when I look for it, with LR it can't find it, it all comes down to in a way how your brain works, mine is more old school. I only use LR to play around in, all my images are started in ACR and finished in Photoshop.
    Hope that is of some help.

I too am not fond of LR5's library system. So you are saying that with BridgeCC I can use it to open both PhotoshopCC and LR5 for editing and then saving in the same files without any issues? Thanks, definitely helpful.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW, the algorithms are the same for PP.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Maseeb you can not get into LR from bridge only into ACR or Photoshop. If you have Photoshop CC why would one want to go into LR, now some I know like to print from LR, so only after finishing in CC they print from LR. Remember what ever LR can do ACR does the same, and now with smart objects and smart filters you can return to ACR anyplace in your workflow.
    As I only play in LR, I am not sure of a lot of things, I know that you can take an image that you are working on in LR, have it taken into Photoshop then return it to LR.

Real Name
    Yes

Lightroom will only show those images that have been imported into it, and not those which are moved into a directory (though it can find those uncatalogued and add them to its database). Bridge shows the files, of all sorts, which are in a directory. However as it does not make the small sidecar files for browsing the collection it is much slower, but does add them to a cache. So in short Bridge will find all files in a directory, but is slower, whereas one imported into lightroom files can be browsed and opened quicker.

Real Name
    Richard

Gosh... Here I thought that I was the only one who frequently couldn't find images opened in and saved in Lightroom...

I have thousands upon thousands of images and have never lost any due to mis-filing with Bridge.

I have a very simple filing system that is quite easy to locate and find images.

I open my RAW (I always shoot RAW) images in Bridge and do some initial editing in ACR and then go to Photoshop CS6 with Perfect Photo and NIK plug-ins. I will save a master image uncropped and without final sizing and sharpening as a PSD master. I then crop and sharpen as to my needs and save in either a JPEG or TIFF (depending on my needs).

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Haseeb

I'm another fan of Bridge. As an organiser, it's very similar to Windows Explorer - simple and easy to use.

Bridge is always the starting point for my RAW workflow. Use it to open a raw file in ACR, do as much processing there as you want and then move on to PS.

There are quite a few things you can do directly in Bridge. Eg you can apply a preset from ACR directly in Bridge and immediately see the result. Or you can batch process a group of images using a PS Action directly from Bridge - eg you could resize and save as a jpeg or any apply other group of steps that are part of an Action. Another thing you can do from Bridge is open a jpeg in ACR. The list goes on - it really is a very useful tool once you learn just what it can do.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    FWIW, the algorithms are the same for PP.
    Nope; Bridge does not have any PP capabilities. You are probably thinking of ACR and LR.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies. I will try this out and hopefully do not have to face any of the issues which I read online from reviewers.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Maseeb you can not get into LR from bridge only into ACR or Photoshop. If you have Photoshop CC why would one want to go into LR, now some I know like to print from LR, so only after finishing in CC they print from LR. Remember what ever LR can do ACR does the same, and now with smart objects and smart filters you can return to ACR anyplace in your workflow.
    As I only play in LR, I am not sure of a lot of things, I know that you can take an image that you are working on in LR, have it taken into Photoshop then return it to LR.

You are absolutely right but at times with some images I like to open and pp with LR5.