Thread: Fall Colors in the Pacific Northwest

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

Fall Colors in the Pacific Northwest

I just joined CiC because I sincerely want to become a better photographer. I'm seeking constructive input so that my images really get better. From what I've been able to witness so far, I'm in the right place.

With that said, here are my first images. They are from last weekends visit to a beautiful Lithia Park in Ashland, OR.

Please feel free to play with them, give me suggestions about photography techniques and/or post processing. I use Lightroom for 85% of my PP and Photoshop for the balance. I sincerely appreciate your efforts to help me.

Small duck pond:

Image #1

Image #2

Real Name
    David

Re: Fall Colors in the Pacific Northwest

Nice captures Dave, love the fall colours!

David

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

When I saw #1 I immediately thought --- where are the ducks? The second one answered my question along with a person in the shot. I like that...it would have been better if the person was interacting with the duck but you get what you get at the time...just like David, I like the colour of autumn, very pleasant atmosphere...

Real Name
    John

Nice images.

Real Name
    Ole

The first image has too much in it. I do like the second one.
    Ole

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Dave,

Two good images that have captured the colours really well.

I like that you have not over-sharpened them, so easily to do with foliage.

Looking at the Exif data I see you were fairly wide open which is possibly the reason for the slightly softer foregrounds if you focussed into the scene, but it may be that was your intention.

If these were my images I would consider just giving the bench and tree immediately to its right in image No 1 a slight boost in sharpness/Local Contrast Enhancement along with some of the foreground rocks.

Grahame

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

These two photos demonstrate an excellent eye for composition. I disagree with Ole that the first image includes too much information.

I'd like to see the mid-tone contrast increased in the first one to be similar to the second one. I also agree with Grahame that touches of Local Contrast Enhancement would be worth a try so long as you don't overdo it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think you've done an excellent job in that first one to hold onto good detail in the sky. Would have been very easy to blow it out.

I also think there is a case to make for cropping it at the bottom to take out the land on this side of the river. That's always going to be a personal taste thing, but is does make an alternative pretty strong image, I think.

But, in overall terms, I think these are two strong images.

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

To All: Thank you for taking the time to comment and for all the kinds words,

Izzie: I did take some subsequent shots as the ducks drew nearer to the man. Unfortunately, feeding the ducks is prohibited so the man just ignored them. This turned out to be the best of the group.

Ole, Grahame, Mike and Donald: Below, I tried to incorporate some of your suggestions, I cropped out the lower bank of the pond, and I tried a little sharpening and added some local contrast to the bench, bare tree and the rocks. I have never done local contrast before so I'm not really sure when I've over done it or not.

Again, thanks to all of you ...

Real Name
    Dan

Couple of nice images here. IMO the cropped version of the first one is a bit stronger. Without the foreground the reflections are more prominent.

The second shot is brilliantly composed and technically well executed. My eye goes first to the ducks (maybe due to personal affinity for wildlife) then follows them to the person on the bench and the lovely arched trees and color above him. Well done.

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

Thanks Dan, the more I look at the second attempt of #1, the more I have to agree with you all. This is great, I love getting input that I can put to use. Thanks again.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Though I mentioned that the first one doesn't display too much information, I like the revised version of that one better because the amount of water in the foreground is left to one's imagination.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Dave, I like the crop . If it was my image I would do less cropping but some cloning of the stones in order to leave more reflections in the water because IMO they add to the image

That reworking of #1 is exactly what I thought about doing when I first saw the photo. It gives more emphasis to the trees and their colours.

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

Mike and Geoff ... Thanks for your input, I hadn't thought of it Mike until you mentioned it, but your correct, it does leave it up to your imagination as to what the complete scene would look like with the crop where it is.

Binnur ... I'm really intrigued by your suggestion. I know it's a lot to ask, but would you be willing to play with the image to show me what exactly what you had envisioned? I know it's quite a time request so please don't feel obligated. Thanks.

Real Name
    Binnur

No problem, I will give it a go Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Mike and Geoff ... Thanks for your input, I hadn't thought of it Mike until you mentioned it, but your correct, it does leave it up to your imagination as to what the complete scene would look like with the crop where it is.

Binnur ... I'm really intrigued by your suggestion. I know it's a lot to ask, but would you be willing to play with the image to show me what exactly what you had envisioned? I know it's quite a time request so please don't feel obligated. Thanks.

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

I'm excited to see it ... Thanks much!!

Real Name
    Binnur

Here is a very quick edit Dave. I usually spend a lot of time while editing my images, so please don't take it as a serious one because it was so quick

Real Name
    Dave Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Here is a very quick edit Dave. I usually spend a lot of time while editing my images, so please don't take it as a serious one because it was so quick
    Binnur, for a so called quick edit, it sure looks good. The changes you've made are very subtle but work very well. I think it addresses pretty much every suggestion. Thanks again for taking a moment to illustrate for me, I owe you one!!

Real Name
    Binnur

You're welcome Dave. We all help each other in CinC and this is the way we learn things

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Binnur, for a so called quick edit, it sure looks good. The changes you've made are very subtle but work very well. I think it addresses pretty much every suggestion. Thanks again for taking a moment to illustrate for me, I owe you one!!