Thread: Secret Passage (B&W)

Real Name
    Matt

Secret Passage (B&W)

I spotted this deserted hallway just as I exited the Sistine Chapel, C&C appreciated.

Secret Passage (B&W)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Secret Passage (B&W)

This photo and your other photo demonstrate your ability to see and effectively display long hallways. I also like your conversion to monochrome in this one. (Do you wanna make a bet that some people will disagree with me, preferring more contrast?)

The photo displays some rather slight perspective distortion that you might or might not want to correct, depending on how you envision the image.

Real Name
    John

Like this one Matt but it needs much, much more contrast - (I'm kidding. That was just a tweak for Mike). What is good apart from the comp is that you have substantially managed to avoid burning out the lamps. They have retained their form. Nice image.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks for commenting guys.

Mike: My original edit did have a bit more contrast but after reading your comments on my other photo I tried reducing it on this one and found it did look a lot better

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured, could have been captured to exhibit many different looks but what you've displayed works very well.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image

Real Name
    Matt

Thank you John & Binnur

Real Name
    Dan

This is an awesome shot, Matt. My only comment is also regarding the distortion/leveling. The doorway in the distance being at an angle is rather odd looking. It looks more like an issue of being out of level to my eye. Even the floor and hanging chains in the foreground are not level/verticle. Nice job recognizing the opportunity and making the most of the capture.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    This is an awesome shot, Matt. My only comment is also regarding the distortion/leveling. The doorway in the distance being at an angle is rather odd looking. It looks more like an issue of being out of level to my eye. Even the floor and hanging chains in the foreground are not level/verticle. Nice job recognizing the opportunity and making the most of the capture.
    I did think the same but I left it thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me as I'd been staring at it so long

Any better?

Secret Passage (B&W)

I like this revised version much better because the bright doorway at the end appears straight. That doorway is an important part of the image because that bright light very nicely draws our eye down the length of the hallway.

However, you seem to have turned the image clockwise rather than correct the perspective distortion. You were pointing downward using a 35mm focal length, which causes the straight lines on the left and right sides to lean outward. (If you had pointed upward, they would have leaned inward.) Now that you have turned the image clockwise, the column on the far right is even more crooked than in the original. So, I believe the best solution is to correct the perspective distortion because that is the only method that will straighten all of the vertical lines throughout the image.

Real Name
    Brian

Your second version does look better. I like the B&W conversion.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like this revised version much better because the bright doorway at the end appears straight. That doorway is an important part of the image because that bright light very nicely draws our eye down the length of the hallway.

However, you seem to have turned the image clockwise rather than correct the perspective distortion. You were pointing downward using a 35mm focal length, which causes the straight lines on the left and right sides to lean outward. (If you had pointed upward, they would have leaned inward.) Now that you have turned the image clockwise, the column on the far right is even more crooked than in the original. So, I believe the best solution is to correct the perspective distortion because that is the only method that will straighten all of the vertical lines throughout the image.
    I think this looks about right?

Secret Passage (B&W)

Yes! That did it!

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Yes! That did it!
    Thanks for your help with that Mike, much appreciated!

Real Name
    Dan

Much better. This really is an excellent image.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Very nice seen and captured, Matt...interesting conversation it brought up too.