Thread: Angry sky

Real Name
    Brian

Angry sky

As mentioned in another post, here is another shot from a duck blind. This was taken last week while on my first hunt this year. It was ideal conditions for ducks, but not necessarily duck hunters. Wind at 20-25mph(good) with heavy showers (raining sideways - bad). I was standing there and saw this scene developing. I waited until the sun came out and it made the colors in the foreground really lite up against the dark clouds. Oh yeah, about 20 min after I took this shot, we got pummeled by that shower. I really like how the blue/grey contrasts with the green/yellow.

Angry sky

Real Name
    Nick

Re: Angry sky

Indeed these conditions of sun and clouds make a beautiful scene. I think you captured the lighting nicely here. I assume these duck-looking things are decoys, and am not entirely sure if they are a plus to the photo or not, but probably do ad a little interest.

Real Name
    John

Nice effort, that one single blade is a distraction though.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice effort, that one single blade is a distraction though.
    Thanks for noticing that. For whatever reason, I didn't even see that. I'll clone it out.

Nick, yes, those are decoys and they will appear in most of my shots. It is unavoidable but I think it adds to the presence if you understand how a duck hunter's mind works.

Real Name
    David

Nice capture Brian, I agree about the blade of grass

David

Real Name
    Ole

Like the picture not the blade of grass

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Most already said something about that single blade of grass...I like that one on the LHS pointing to the sky...nice scene...your dedication surely paid off with this one...

OT: what do you do with the ducks you get to take home? How many are you allowed in one session? or should it be, one season?

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice place, nice shot

Real Name
    Dan

Nice capture, Brian. You did good waiting for the lighting to give more contrast and make the scene more dramatic. You could solve the blade of grass issue and improve the image overall IMO if you cropped to a standard 2x3 ratio with all of the crop removed from the bottom. That would still retain all of the elements of the image that are meaningful including some of the decoys.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    Thanks for noticing that. For whatever reason, I didn't even see that. I'll clone it out.

Nick, yes, those are decoys and they will appear in most of my shots. It is unavoidable but I think it adds to the presence if you understand how a duck hunter's mind works.
    Quacked up?

Real Name
    Matt

Nice image Brian, but get rid of that blade of grass!!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Most already said something about that single blade of grass...I like that one on the LHS pointing to the sky...nice scene...your dedication surely paid off with this one...

OT: what do you do with the ducks you get to take home? How many are you allowed in one session? or should it be, one season?
    Yeah, I clone out the blade of grass but haven't posted a new version of the image yet. I will when I get a chance. Yes, after everyone here gave me the hint loud and clear, I removed it and the images does look much better. Thanks to all who noticed it. Don't know why I didn't. ??

You are allowed 7 ducks per day here in Oregon, but there are sub-limits to that overall number. For instance, you can only take 2 hen mallards, 2 pintails, 1 canvasback and there are several other species of which you can only take one or two within the 7 bird limit. That means that you have to know and identify the ducks before you shoot at them. I usually fillet the breast and cut the leg meat off, bag them and freeze them until I have enough to cook. Cook them up in a crock pot and the meat just falls apart. Makes some really tasty BBQ sandwiches, tacos or any other dish that you would use pork or beef.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Peking Duck or braised will be nice...At least with braised you sort of remove much of the oil in it...now come to think of it, are the ducks you are taking home oily? Just asking...
    (Sorry...I have too many questions...I hope I am not tiring you with them...)

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Peking Duck or braised will be nice...At least with braised you sort of remove much of the oil in it...now come to think of it, are the ducks you are taking home oily? Just asking...
    (Sorry...I have too many questions...I hope I am not tiring you with them...)
    Wild duck is completely different than the "asian market" variety. It does have a little fat on it but it is mostly just pure lean meat. It has to be cooked rare to keep it from having the consistency of a Nike shoe sole or slow cooked to make it tender. You can't get more 'organic' than wild game. It is delicious.