Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Question while out & about; In camera memory.

Question while out & about; In camera memory.

Here's a question i was thinking about when i was out and about tonight. I can have >4gb of data saved to a memory card the size of a thumbnail, ok it's a bit thicker but same area. Why therefore do canon etc only put a tiny amount of memory into their cameras so you need to also have a memory card?

I have no issue buying memory cards at all, they're really handy (SD particularly) but was just wondering for the logic behind it? I'm pretty sure there's an obvious reason and pretty sure it's a technical one but can anyone shed some light?

p.s the sunset wasn't as good as i thought it'd be - so much for the volcano ash lol.

Re: Question while out & about; In camera memory.

I'd say because memory can fail. I'm 57 and mine fails all the time. If it was integral to the camera it might be a costly repair to have it fixed.

Great shots, despite the volcanic dust bunnies on your sensor

Fair call on the failure, although i've never had solid state memory fail on me as yet (fingers crossed lol). Cameras are expensive enough without having to worry about replacing it i guess.

Ta for compliments, they weren't taken on an SLR tho - think the lens may need to be cleaned!

Quote Originally Posted by Azz252 View Post
    Fair call on the failure, although i've never had solid state memory fail on me as yet (fingers crossed lol).
    They say it only happens to wedding photographers.

Real Name
    Rick

I expect another reason is that memory cards move in capacity much faster than the lifespan of a DSLR, or even P&S. Moore's Law wasn't about memory, but it holds fairly true: every six months or so, you can buy a card of double the capacity for the same price. A 4GB card was pushing the limits a few years ago, now it's the basic. If the camera manufacturer put solid-state storage in the camera, the specs would look great when it was released, but pretty poor two years later.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    John

Perhaps for in store demonstrations.

If the camera manufacturer put solid-state storage in the camera, the specs would look great when it was released, but pretty poor two years later.
    But surely that would be the same for the technology within the camera as well? When i bought my 450d it was relatively new to the market however the 500d, 550d, 7d etc now have HD video (which is a feature i would love using an slr lens) so similar applies. When i bought it i was more than aware it would be 'out of date' relatively quickly...same with anything these days!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Aaron,

A couple of reasons spring to mind ...

1. Existing memory can be removed / swapped out

2. Cost; would a manufacturer have only a small amount to retain more competitive costs and margins, or would they have larger amounts to ensure all users were satisfied?

Personally, it's not an issue for me - I wouldn't want it any other way than the way it is now. Out of interest, I have a 10MP P & S that has a few megabytes of internal memory ... and I still write to the card because it's easier to transfer to a PC via a card reader.

Hi Colin

It's not an issue at all for me either, both my P&S & SLR use SD cards and my laptop has an SD slot so changing between them is extremely easy and convienient.

It was just more curiosity than anything else given how cheap memory is these days. The only time i can think it might have helped was that time i went to shoot the sun going down only for my 450 to be telling me 'no card'...it was 5 miles away stuck in my laptop

Cheers

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

The only time i can think it might have helped was that time i went to shoot the sun going down only for my 450 to be telling me 'no card'...it was 5 miles away stuck in my laptop
    Ah yes, I know what I'm like
    So I make sure there are always 2 or 3 spare cards permanently in the camera bag, at least then there's a 'fall back' option.

Perhaps an idea to invest in (if you haven't already).

Cheers,

Real Name

The only time i can think it might have helped was that time i went to shoot the sun going down only for my 450 to be telling me 'no card'...it was 5 miles away stuck in my laptop
    Hi Aaron,

It reminds me of the time I carried 3 camera bags and a heavy tripod about 1km ... only to discover that I'd left the camera on (with auto-off disabled) and completely flattened the battery

Learn from our mistakes eh

p.s Dave - i check it everytime before i go out now just in case lol

Real Name

Learn from our mistakes eh
    In my case sometimes, eventually!

Real Name
    Rick

But surely that would be the same for the technology within the camera as well? When i bought my 450d it was relatively new to the market however the 500d, 550d, 7d etc now have HD video (which is a feature i would love using an slr lens) so similar applies. When i bought it i was more than aware it would be 'out of date' relatively quickly...same with anything these days!
    True, but making the electronics upgradeable would be tough, and how many people would see the value proposition of accepting a higher price and more complexity to allow for upgrades? Memory, on the other hand is a commodity item.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

I don't think it is a failure problem. Cameras have a lot of memory in them used for the camera software. I recently upgraded my camera (and lens) software by downloading the new version from the manufacturer's web site and loading it and a small loading program on an SD card. The camera recognizes the loading program if you put it in playback mode. This is a good reason to include an external memory slot.

What would you do when your internal memory is full and you have no memory card slot?????