Thread: Bone

Real Name
    Terry

Bone

This is my oldest (meaning known longest) Friend.

He is widely known as one of the premier Jazz Trombonists in the world. Yes, I said world.

He has never really done anything commercially as far as a lot of recording stuff. He is at the age that he had (as a younger lad) auditioned for and earned the jazz trombone chair in the Stan Kenton Big Band (which was huge). Then Mr. Kenton passed and the band was no more. Timing was off.

He does what he does now, is a great family man, and the best friend anyone could have. And when he plays? Man he lights it up! The guy pushes the technical and creative envelope like you have never heard.

I’m putting this shot up here not only because I think that it is an okay shot (and please feel free to C/C), but more importantly it occurred to me how symbolic this is to this site.

I have seen some of the best photographers in the world posting stuff here. Yes, I again said “world”.

Those that practice their art, do what they do otherwise, and put out some of the most incredible stuff I have had the pleasure of gazing upon. Then take the time to say what they do in the Spirit of Exchange.

Those artists are all of you.

I just thought that was kind of cool!

Bone

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Bone

This is a good shot of your friend, Terry...I cannot nit anything...You are so lucky to hear the music of his soul.

Real Name
    John

Nice.

Real Name
    Matt

Lovely shot Terry!

Real Name
    Janis

Lovely shot, Terry, and lovely testimonial to all the great talent that expresses itself despite the lack of fame and fortune, for the sheer joy of it.

I am reminded of a fabulous documentary I saw a few months back, Twenty Feet from Stardom. Highly recommended.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

No need to put down your photo, Terry. It's really nice.

I'm not the least bit skeptical that your friend might be relatively unknown to the masses yet might be one of the best trombonists in the world. I've heard an unknown clarinetist playing Benny Goodman solos far better than Benny Goodman played them. I saw an unbelievable and completely unknown trumpet player in his early twenties put the trumpet on a table and without holding it in his hands play a C major scale up to high C. (I wouldn't believe that story if someone told me about it.) The television talent shows that launch international singing stars find the talent that was there all along that otherwise may never have been discovered.

I also join Janis in recommending Twenty Feet from Stardom.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th October 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the shot very much

Real Name
    Greg

Nice shot, Terry.

Re your remarks about the excellent photographers who post here, I would certainly number you among them.

Real Name
    Richard

Very nice shot. I would think about adding a slight vignette which would place more emphasis on the subject's face...

Real Name
    Terry

Thanks for having a look guys.

Greg, that was one helluva nice thing to say to me. Thank you very much.

Richard good suggestion and the shot already has a vignette added. As do probably 90% of any people shots I do outside of a studio setting. I always add the vignetting on a separate layer and in this case that layer is probably at around 25% opacity. So I can always go back and readjust if necessary. I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thank you.

Real Name
    Kay

a lovely image & story behind it as well
    thanks for sharing it with us