Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

Real Name
    E. James

18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

I recently acquired the Sigma 18-35mm Art lens and I am having limited success with it. Focus seems slow or inaccurate on my D7100 especially in lower light. The sharpness is not what I expected from reviewers. Does anyone else have this lens? If so, what have you learned?

Real Name
    E. James

Re: 18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

Real Name
    Grahame

Ed, have you put the lens on a tripod, used mirror up, remote release, adjusted for correct exposure and shot at a subject that has good edges for analysing it's performance with respect to sharpness?

I recently purchased a lens that a number of reviews said was not very sharp, others said it was decent and one ridiculous comment made here was that if I was to buy it for £35 it would be a 'good' buy. As far as I'm concerned it produces adequately sharp images for what I want, but I put sensible criteria to what I expect.

You say you are having 'limited' success, does that infer that you are having 'some' success?

Grahame

Real Name
    E. James

Well I went out again and made certain that my one focus point (centered) was in an area of high contrast and then recomposed. These results were much better. I took similar photographs with my Canon Mark ll 24-70mm and after comparing eight shots I concluded that the resolution and quality of the images were about identical.

18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

So if I am not actually adding a superhero of a lens to my collection, then why bother keeping the lens at all? Well I am starting to grow fond of the FOV. I like the way it feels and handles.

And often it is surprisingly good...

18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

Especially for a cropped sensor.

I TOTALLY agree that often we...me neglect best practices for good capture. A bargain lens in the hands of a craftsman is better than the best lens in the hands of those who neglect the details of the craft of photography.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    A bargain lens in the hands of a craftsman is better than the best lens in the hands of those who neglect the details of the craft of photography.
    Never a truer word was written.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The shots on the left of your comparison seem to have better contrast and sharper.

Seems like a good lens and one well worth working with its idiosyncrasies.

Real Name
    Robin

The example with the halloween head is captured at 200% magnification - why?

There is no practical reason to go well beyond pixel peeping enlargements to see if a lens is usable. Also from the example you presented it looks far superior even at those mad percentages to the one from the Canon. You should also bare in mind that very few lenses ever made perform at their best wide open.

acquired the Sigma 18-35mm Art lens and I am having limited success with it. Focus seems slow or inaccurate on my D7100 especially in lower light. The sharpness is not what I expected from reviewers. Does anyone else

http://www.mssu.edu/
    http://www.ifpug.org/
    http://free-braindumps.net/640-461-pdf.html
    http://www.utoronto.ca/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISACA
    https://www.facebook.com/vmware
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ASQhq
    Last edited by aliraza8; 8th November 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

why/what is an "art" lens for, really...

Is it a lens made by a chap called Art at Sigma (sorry)
    Last edited by JR1; 17th October 2014 at 10:44 AM.

Real Name
    Ted

. . . The sharpness is not what I expected from reviewers. . .
    Pixel peeping can sometimes help, especially with a good utility. The house shadows are instructive, IMHO:

18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

We see that the captured brightness goes from 10% to 90% in less than two pixels. Considering that the D7100 has 3.9um pixel pitch, two pixels is a pretty good resolution for that lens in that spot- somewhere in the region of 65 lp/mm in the image plane.

Then, looking in the shadow area, the Bayer mush is remarkably muted - indicating that some noise reduction may have been applied to the image, which can soften edges.

All in all, the lens sharpness looks pretty good to a peeper

Was this image a 100% crop from the original 6000x4000px image? If not, my results are less valid.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 17th October 2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: caveat aditur

Real Name
    E. James

Peepers Unite. We have nothing to lose! (Disclaimer: Does not apply to our sanity, finances or personal hygiene).

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    why/what is an "art" lens for, really...

Is it a lens made by a chap called Art at Sigma (sorry)
    lol.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/art-lenses/

Art is top of their new line of lenses. The 18-35mm is particularly well-regarded.

Real Name
    Ted

Peepers Unite. We have nothing to lose! (Disclaimer: Does not apply to our sanity, finances or personal hygiene).
    But was the image a 100% crop from the original 6000x4000px image, un-obfuscated by re-sampling and post-processing?

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    lol.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/art-lenses/

Art is top of their new line of lenses. The 18-35mm is particularly well-regarded.
    Thanks, so no need to change my Nikon 14-24 then, nothing to do with soft focus, or curved iris blades, just the name

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Pixel peeping can sometimes help, especially with a good utility. The house shadows are instructive, IMHO:

We see that the captured brightness goes from 10% to 90% in less than two pixels. Considering that the D7100 has 3.9um pixel pitch, two pixels is a pretty good resolution for that lens in that spot- somewhere in the region of 65 lp/mm in the image plane.

Then, looking in the shadow area, the Bayer mush is remarkably muted - indicating that some noise reduction may have been applied to the image, which can soften edges.

All in all, the lens sharpness looks pretty good to a peeper

Was this image a 100% crop from the original 6000x4000px image? If not, my results are less valid.

OMG, spend more time out taking photos

Real Name
    Ted

Thanks, so no need to change my Nikon 14-24 then, nothing to do with soft focus, or curved iris blades, just the name
    Glurk . .

OMG, spend more time out taking photos
    I know I should take a comment like that in good humor - but to put a good amount of of work into downloading an image, opening it in a utility, taking a screen capture, uploading it to CiC and providing some thoughts . . . all of that, only to get a demeaning crack like that in response is less than enthralling, IMHO.

Queen Victoria said it best

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Glurk . .

I know I should take a comment like that in good humor - but to put a good amount of of work into downloading an image, opening it in a utility, taking a screen capture, uploading it to CiC and providing some thoughts . . . all of that, only to get a demeaning crack like that in response is less than enthralling, IMHO.

Queen Victoria said it best
    Note to me, "remember to ass emoticons to comments"

I should have added this to my comment

What I meant, in a light hearted way is, it never fails to amaze me that people spend so much time trying to "pull apart" and do down images by "P Peeping" and 100/200/300x magnifying, chimping and more when in fact they would have more fun taking photos.

It is like computer nuts (I was one once) spending more time running sysanalysis software, defragging, peak tuning than using the gear just to get 1 more split second of speed from it.

Real Name
    Grahame

when in fact they would have more fun taking photos.
    This of course begs the question Jeremy as to how you know it is a 'fact' that they would have more fun taking photographs.

Real Name
    E. James

I have enormous fun trying to stretch every last living bit of potential out of lenses and cameras. This includes not only examining ways to enhance resolution but also contrast, color and something mysterious I guess you can call depth. Consistent results also ranks up there. I find the net result of such activity better prepares me for those Kodak moments when they pass or almost pass by.

My conclusion with regard to the Sigma 18-35mm is that it is a keeper. However, I must be certain to locate the focus point (I almost always use AFS Auto Focus Single with one centered focus point) over an area rich in contrast, press the shutter halfway, recompose and ease that shutter down. I wish the lens was both DX and FX because I plan to Buy a Nikon FX 810?? as soon as I win the lottery (tonight would be nice).

Real Name
    E. James

In closing, one last shot with the 18-35mm...

18-35mm Sigma Art Lens

Should have stuck with this. It understands me
    Last edited by Abitconfused; 18th October 2014 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast