Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nx2

Real Name
    Tom

Nx2

I attended a wedding over the weekend and because of the beautiful setting I used 2 folders in my D3100. One for the scenery and one for the wedding. As I found before NX2 mixes the images and puts them in any order. How do you get it to download images in the order they were taken? I hoped they would be downloaded in thier folder.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Nx2

If you use NX2, does that mean you are shooting with a Nikon. If you are, when you put your file in a folder on your desktop, they go by sequence...I usually sort them up in my computer instead of in-camera but your system might be easier. I do not know...

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by tasherlock View Post
    I attended a wedding over the weekend and because of the beautiful setting I used 2 folders in my D3100. One for the scenery and one for the wedding. As I found before NX2 mixes the images and puts them in any order. How do you get it to download images in the order they were taken? I hoped they would be downloaded in thier folder.
    Use a cardreader.
    There is allways some order only probably not the one you want.

George

Real Name
    John

The help file details how to sort thumbnails.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by tasherlock View Post
    As a Capture NX2 user, I'm very confused. First, NX2 has no download capability; instead, Nikon Transfer does that though I understand that it can be launched from within NX2. Second, whatever is happening to your images, they are not being put in "any order," such as a random order; instead, they are being put in a particular order that you understandably aren't recognizing. Third, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish because you mention contradictory goals -- to download the images in the order they were taken but also to retain the two folders. Fourth, as John mentioned, perhaps the only issue is how NX2 is currently configured to sort your images.

Your camera consecutively numbers each image file in the order that it is taken. So, image 5000 could be in your Wedding folder and image 5001 could be in your Scenery folder. If you want the images to be stored in one folder in the order they were taken, you'll need to place all images in the same folder.

I seem to remember that Nikon Transfer can be configured to rename the image files and to retain the folder structure used on the memory card. We would need to see screenshots of your Transfer configuration and your NX2 sort configuration to fully understand what you want to happen, what is actually happening, and how to change things to get everything to happen as you want.

If you're not using Transfer to rename your files, perhaps the easiest method is to avoid using Transfer. You could instead use your operating system to copy your folders and image files from your memory card to your computer.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    As a Capture NX2 user, I'm very confused. First, NX2 has no download capability; instead, Nikon Transfer does that though I understand that it can be launched from within NX2. Second, whatever is happening to your images, they are not being put in "any order," such as a random order; instead, they are being put in a particular order that you understandably aren't recognizing. Last, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish because you mention contradictory goals -- to download the images in the order they were taken but also to retain the two folders.

Your camera consecutively numbers each image file in the order that it is taken. So, image 5000 could be in your Wedding folder and image 5001 could be in your Scenery folder. If you want the images to be stored in one folder in the order they were taken, you'll need to place all images in the same folder.

I seem to remember that Nikon Transfer can be configured to rename the image files and to retain the folder structure used on the memory card. We would need to see a screenshot of your Transfer configuration to fully understand what you want to happen, what is actually happening, and how to change things to get everything to happen as you want.

If you're not using Transfer to rename your files, perhaps the easiest method is to avoid using Transfer. You could instead use your operating system to copy your folders and image files from your memory card to your computer.
    I thought he was talking about ViewNX2.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I thought he was talking about ViewNX2.
    Good point. He might be. Ironically, Nikon stopped supporting both Capture NX2 and View NX2. It has been a really, really long time since I have used ViewNX2, but I think the comments that I made in my post apply to View NX2, not just Capture NX2.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It has been a really, really long time since I have used ViewNX2, but I think the comments that I made in my post apply to View NX2, not just Capture NX2.
    I believe you're correct Mike.

Hi Tom,

I just started up ViewNX2, then did File > Launch Transfer.
    On the Primary Destination tab, in the centre column, there is a check box labelled "Copy folder names from camera", maybe you did/didn't have this checked before you downloaded? (depending on what you wanted to happen)

I always leave this unchecked as I don't mess with stuff like camera folders when I'm shooting, I divvy them up during, or after, downloading, when time is likely to be less of an issue.

Once they are downloaded, in ViewNX2, there is a "Sort" drop list just to the left of centre above the tile area, it has various options plus Ascending or Descending directions, you may need to set this to "Date Shot" (+ Ascending) if the order isn't as expected.

One other thing that might muck it up is if you reset/corrected the time on the camera during the shoot. I did that once on holiday, setting local time, after I'd started shooting. Depending where you are/were, this could cause them to come out in wrong order, if you set the clock back in time, later shots might be timestamped before the first ones.

Cheers, Dave