Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Protective spray for prints

Real Name
    John

Protective spray for prints

I decided to try using a protective varnish over prints made on my Canon Pro 9000 MkII printer. The printer uses non-pigmented, water-based inks (Canon brand) so I felt that putting some varnish on them would be a good idea. I bought a can of Hahnemuhle Fine Art Protective Spray that is meant for inkjet prints. I sprayed four prints (on Canon semi-gloss paper) today and was not happy with the results (especially the gnat that landed in the middle of the bride's dress). There was a definite color shift in the prints with much of the magenta disappearing from the skin tones leaving the prints with a definite yellow/green cast.

I am not sure what went wrong. Maybe this stuff is not meant for the Canon inks or maybe I put it on in too heavy of coats or whatever. I have heard that Moab Desert Varnish is good stuff but haven't found any to try. Any suggestions or is this whole thing just a bad idea.

John

Real Name
    Karin

Re: Protective spray for prints

thanks for the heads up on this spray - I am editing bridal shots for someone, and also considered something similar. I have a Pixma Pro 10

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Not being a printmaker, I wonder about the value of a coating on prints?

Real Name
    John

I would research archiving fine art prints as a method. Regarding your experiment, how long did you allow the prints to dry before applying the spray? I read that it can take at least two days for a print to dry before you should mount behind a barrier, also there was a technique especially for black and white prints where you placed the image beneath a sheet of white copy paper to absorb the excess oils from the pigment.

Real Name
    John

Bill - I am told that the varnish provides some UV protection but mainly seals the print against water and from all the bad stuff we have in the air (smog) that can accelerate fading of the prints. Seems like a good idea but not absolutely necessary. Pro labs provide this service on the prints they make so there must be something to it.

John - Canon says to let them dry 24 hours. I assume the actual time needed varies with temp and humidity. It has been in the low 90's and very dry here and I let these dry close to 24 hours. I will take your advice and continue my research.

Thanks,

John

Real Name
    John

John,

I noticed that Hahnemuhle makes paper also, perhaps you should request a sample and try the spray.

Real Name
    Dan

I've never tried the stuff. I just put the prints I care about behind UV-protective glass if they are going to get much light. I've only been printing about 4 years, so I can't say much yet about longevity, but with the exception of one print that gets direct sun sometimes, nothing seems faded yet. (I use the same printer you do.)

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

TOOOOOO many replies to read but let me tell you what I have been using for 25 years, hair spray

In fact hair spray has many uses

for me

1. if you are fitting anything like bike handle grips spray the insides FIRST then push on second later, secure

2. If like me you collect autographs, mask and spray then with hair spray, they are protected.

3. Great for covering and protecting oil/water colours

4. D NOT use on ink on solid surfaces such as plastic, it will RUN
    Last edited by JR1; 7th October 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Real Name
    Yes

Just a note:
    Some of my old Cibachrome prints, processed about 1978 are as good now as when new. The only problem with them is a drop of water will mark them for life - the surface emulsion is very fragile and water sensitive. Kept behind glass they withstand lots of direct sunlight.