Thread: Meet Winston

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Meet Winston

My daughter has just bought a dog. His name is Winston and he is about 13 weeks old. He is a Groodle which is a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. I thought he looked pretty cute so decided I should post him online. I don't think I've ever done a dog before. The third shot is my feeble attempt at an action shot. Hope you enjoy.

Dave

Meet Winston

Meet Winston

Meet Winston

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Meet Winston

I love that 3rd shot, Dave! That says 'happy to see ya'!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Dave...he is a cutie!!! And you did a good job with the shots, especially #3 despite that it is your first attempt. Like kids, enjoy them while they are still moldable -- they do grow up to be sometimes a PITA once they are allowed to train you instead...

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

I understand that 1 & 2 are official passport or PR photographs for the fans
    but I recognize his nature in #3… ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

I understand that 1 & 2 are official passport or PR photographs for the fans
    but I recognize his nature in #3… ;-)
    Funny.

Real Name
    John

Definitely a cuddly one. Like #3 for his exuberance

Real Name
    Richard

Winston is a handsome boy. Groodles are wonderful dogs! We call them Golden Doodles here in the USA and, mine is going on 7-years old. I don't know where the time has gone, it seems like I just brought her home as a seven week old puppy. I love her dearly!

I can't extract your EXIF data but, I suspect that you are using a relatively slow shutter speed for the first two shots. One of Winston's paws is blurred from movement in each image. You can see that the blur is from subject motion because the floor boards beneath the blurred paw are sharp. That would rule out focus. I would suggest using a higher ISO and/or wider aperture to enable a slightly higher shutter speed. Most modern cameras can easily handle ISO 400 or even higher without significant noise!

As far as the last shot goes, Winston's blur seems to be a combination of focus being slightly off and shutter speed being too slow. However, the blur does portray a feeling of motion.

I don't know what camera/lens you are using. Most DSLR cameras have a capability to follow focus a subject coming towards you, although some camera/lens combinations are a bit better at auto-focus than others... Some other cameras such as P&S and bridge cameras sometimes have a harder time focusing on fast moving objects.

I shoot a Canon 7D and like to use AI SERVO AF as my auto-focus mode (this type mode has different names on other makes of cameras). Single point auto focus is probably best for most cameras, although I tend to use the zone point focus selection (with AF point expansion) that is available on my 7D. I used shutter priority on this shot because the light was pretty constant. My exposure was 1/1,000 second @ f/4 using ISO 400. It was late in the afternoon...

This is Bailey, a rescue doodle that I fostered:
    Meet Winston

I selected shutter priority because I wanted to ensure that the dog would be sharp. I selected ISO 400 because that was the lowest ISO which would allow me to keep 1/1,000 second @ f/4 which was the largest aperture of my lens. However, lately I have been experimenting with manual exposure and auto ISO when shooting action in changing light conditions. Of course burst mode helps get the shot!

As far as selecting 1/1,000 second as a shutter speed, that is pretty much a compromise between stopping action and allowing f/4 @ ISO 400. I tend to use a shutter speed of 1/1,000 second a quite often because that was the fastest shutter speed available on my older film cameras and I have pretty well gotten used to this shutter speed as a baseline for action shots. I shot this particular image using my 70-200mm f/4L IS zoom lens @ 116mm which is about a 185mm equivalent on a full frame camera. This blurs the background enough the get separation between the dog and the grass to the rear...

Keep shooting Winston and posting the images on CiC. I love to follow the development of a groodle/doodle from puppyhood to an adult. Two definite things usually happen: the dog's tail becomes full (like a golden retriever) and the dog develops the distinctive groodle/doodle beard...

This is Holly, my goldendoodle, fully grown at 55 pounds (~ 25 kg.) ...
    Meet Winston

One more point on shooting groodles/doodles... their facial hair often puts their eyes in shadow. Using fill-flash outdoors can open up the eyes and provide catchlights which make the eyes look alive and vibrant. Otherwise, my doodle's eyes often look like black pits. The only time I don't use fill-flash is when I am shooting in burst mode because my flash cannot keep up with the shutter...

BTW: This was shot during the month of July. I tend to keep my doodle's coat clipped pretty short during the hot months...

Here is a link to a doodle web site "Doodle Kisses" http://www.doodlekisses.com/ which has lots of information regarding doodles/groodles and a photography group. It also has over 160,000 doodle/groodle pictures submitted by members...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th September 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    David

Beautiful dog Dave, would be nice to see regular images as he grows

David

Real Name
    Binnur

Winston is lovely I like #3 more ,since he looks so happy and energetic

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks everybody for your comments and thanks Richard for your detailed comments on technique. I'm not sure why EXIF isn't showing for you because it is there.

Camera EOS600D (T3i)
    First shot : 1/50, Av mode, f/3.5, f=34mm, ISO100
    Second Shot : 1/60, Av mode, f/4, f=46mm, ISO125
    Third shot : 1/400, Tv, f/4, f=46mm, ISO100

I think I had ISO set to Auto with a max setting of 400. The problem with the 600D is that if you are in Av mode, you can't change the shutter speed cut-off point (where ISO starts to increase). So the shutter speed in the first two shots was a bit too slow.

For the third shot, I think your assessment is spot on - ie the blur is caused by SS too slow and focus not bang on. I'll try future action shots with the settings you mention.

Interesting point about hair in his eyes too. As a puppy, at times his eyes look like they are just about completely covered !

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

My doodle has long-long eyelashes and her eyebrows grow quite rapidly while her eyes are deeply set. Unless I use flash, her eyes often look like black pools such as in the below image.

Meet Winston

However, when I use fill flash, her eyes are no longer black pools of shadow. They open up and include catchlights...

Meet Winston

I tend to use fill flash whenever I shoot her except when I am shooting in burst mode when the recycle of my flash will not keep up with the shutter.

In fact, I tend to use flash whenever shooting dogs indoors or out. It reduces the shadows (I don't always have a choice regarding the time I must shoot) and provides catchlights in the eyes, like in the case of this boxer puppy shot at mid-day.

Meet Winston

IMO, catchlights make an animal's eyes look "alive".