Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Crop Vignetting in ACR

Real Name
    Binnur

Post Crop Vignetting in ACR

Post Crop Vignetting function in ACR has three styles which are Highlight Priority, Colour Priority and Paint Overlay.

I tried all of them on an image to see the difference but I couldn't see any Or my inexperienced eyes can't see

So, I would be happy if a more experienced member enlighten me about the matter . Thanks in advance

PS. I can see the vignette effect but I don't see any difference among the styles.
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 17th September 2014 at 06:57 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Post Crop Vignetting in ACR

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Post Crop Vignetting function in ACR has three styles which are Highlight Priority, Colour Priority and Paint Overlay.

I tried all of them on an image to see the difference but I couldn't see any Or my inexperienced eyes can't see

So, I would be happy if a more experienced member enlighten me about the matter . Thanks in advance
    Hi Binnur,

Did you set your foreground color to black.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi John The function I mentioned above is in the ACR part , not in PS. So there are no black and white icons to set the foreground color.In PS part my foreground color is usually set to black and I change it to white when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi Binnur,

Did you set your foreground color to black.

Real Name
    Binnur

John, I can see the vignette effect, no problem with it , but I can't see any difference among the styles. (I added a note to my first post to make my question clear).

Real Name
    Robin

Oddly enough I only noticed this option recently but I have found a difference in its effect on my images.

Highlight Priority:

Colour Priority:

Paint Overlay:

Random shot from the first folder I hit upon in ACR and I've exaggerated the vignette to emphasise the effect but there is a noticeable difference between all three.

Real Name
    Greg

Yes, it is subtle but definitely noticeable.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Yes, it is subtle but definitely noticeable.
    Very subtle.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you so much Robin . I think I couldn't notice the difference because my image wasn't a good choice for such a test. Your image has blue sky and water at the upper side and lower side of the frame, so the vignette can be seen better. The difference is noticeable indeed although it is subtle. Thanks again

Real Name
    Dan

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/tag/vignettes

see the note at the bottom.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you very much Dan, very useful info

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Binnur - this is one function in ACR I NEVER use.

The problem is that I do use vignettes a lot and applying one is usually pretty well the last thing I do. I don't know how much, intensity, positioning, blending modes, etc. Doing it as one of the first steps has never made any sense to me.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Manfred It is possible to take the image back to ACR by using Camera Raw Filter in PS CC to add a vignette later at the end of the work flow. I liked the highlights slider in that function in ACR after seeing the link Dan gave above. In PS CC there is a vignette effect in Lens Corrections but no highlight sliders. Do you know any other ways to add a vignette in PS CC rather than the one in Lens Corrections?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Binnur - this is one function in ACR I NEVER use.

The problem is that I do use vignettes a lot and applying one is usually pretty well the last thing I do. I don't know how much, intensity, positioning, blending modes, etc. Doing it as one of the first steps has never made any sense to me.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi Manfred It is possible to take the image back to ACR by using Camera Raw Filter in PS CC to add a vignette later at the end of the work flow. I liked the highlights slider in that function in ACR after seeing the link Dan gave above. In PS CC there is a vignette effect in Lens Corrections but no highlight sliders. Do you know any other ways to add a vignette in PS CC rather than the one in Lens Corrections?
    Could be Binnur, but I like hand doing mine. I find that I work in layers and by having my vignettes in a separate layer I can get the fine control I need.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

A vignette in the context of a lens correction is not the same as a vignette in the context of an artistic post-processing decision. The former context has to do with a lens that prevents the corners of the sensor from being exposed to as much light as in roughly the other 90% of the sensor; ideally, the perfect lens (not that one exists) will expose all areas of the sensor to the same amount of light with no falloff in the corners. The other context has to do with implementing an artistic decision as opposed to correcting a deficiency in the lens.

So, generally you would not want to use a tool intended to correct a lens deficiency when you want to implement an artistic decision.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Manfred I have just remembered your vignette formula in a thread I started in the past about gradient tool and vignettes. It seemed a bit difficult and in fact I wasn't aware the post crop vignette function in ACR then . I haven't tried a vignette effect in any of my images yet. I think there is no vignette effect for artistic purposes in PS part or I haven't been able to discover it yet. May be it is better for me to stick with the Post Crop Vignetting function for the time being when I need a vignette for my images

Could be Binnur, but I like hand doing mine. I find that I work in layers and by having my vignettes in a separate layer I can get the fine control I need.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Mike . I think a lot of people use the vignette function in 'lens corrections' because they find it easy. This can be seen even in the link Dan suggested above .But I agree with you that if there is a special function to add vignettes for artistic purposes then it is better to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A vignette in the context of a lens correction is not the same as a vignette in the context of an artistic post-processing decision. The former context has to do with a lens that prevents the corners of the sensor from being exposed to as much light as in roughly the other 90% of the sensor; ideally, the perfect lens (not that one exists) will expose all areas of the sensor to the same amount of light with no falloff in the corners. The other context has to do with implementing an artistic decision as opposed to correcting a deficiency in the lens.

So, generally you would not want to use a tool intended to correct a lens deficiency when you want to implement an artistic decision.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

Yes and no, Mike - you can use this functionality any way you want to in post. I've used the lens distortion functionality to create / exaggerate lens distortions on some of my work. I normally do apply the vignetting and distortion correction when using a raw converter almost automatically, to get me a "clean" image to work from.

Once I have finished my edits, I usually choose to reintroduce some level of vignetting, but that is something I carefully hand-build in a layer (sometimes multiple layers and blending modes), so that I can go back and readjust it later. I have on occassion done a fisheye effect on shots taken with a normal lens.

Real Name
    Binnur

Manfred, I think Mike's suggestion is related to that there are options for styles and some sliders for adjustments in a 'vignette effect function for artistic purposes'. Whereas 'the vignette function in lens corrections' just adds or removes vignettes in a standart way.

Yes and no, Mike - you can use this functionality any way you want to in post. I've used the lens distortion functionality to create / exaggerate lens distortions on some of my work. I normally do apply the vignetting and distortion correction when using a raw converter almost automatically, to get me a "clean" image to work from.

Once I have finished my edits, I usually choose to reintroduce some level of vignetting, but that is something I carefully hand-build in a layer (sometimes multiple layers and blending modes), so that I can go back and readjust it later. I have on occassion done a fisheye effect on shots taken with a normal lens.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Manfred, I think Mike's suggestion is related to that there are options for styles and some sliders for adjustments in a 'vignette effect function for artistic purposes'. Whereas 'the vignette function in lens corrections' just adds or removes vignettes in a standar way.
    Exactly.

However, Manfred is of course correct that it is fine to use any tool that achieves the desired artistic results. If it works, nothing about the use intended by the developer matters.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I understand that Binnur; and Mike is pointing out the "standard" way of using these functions. All I was adding to the conversation is that there in no "rule" regarding how this functionality is used. Like many things in the Photoshop world, you can accomplish the same (or similar) task in a number of different ways.

Playing around with the manual vignette and distortion control sliders is one such way. I personally don't like doing things this way, but someone coming from Lightroom may prefer using ACR rather than the tools in Photoshop itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast