Thread: CPL- which type to get?

Real Name
    Brian

CPL- which type to get?

I have rarely used a CPL since I've been into photography. I have been thinking about getting one for my standard and zoom lenses. The problem is, when I went to look for one, I see that there are a multitude of types. I have a 24-105 lens that I use as a "standard" lens and I'm wondering if I need the thin ringed filter due to the wide angle of the lens or just the standard size. I also am wondering if I should just use the CPL as a "lens protector" and just leave it on all the time instead of the UV I have on it now. Any help/suggestions as to which type I should get would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: CPL- which type to get?

Brian - when I shoot outdoors, I leave my polarizers on 100% of the time unless it gets too dark and I need to get that 1-1/2 or so additional stops of light. I do have one for each of my lenses.

In terms of quality there are a lot of options; what you pay for is the quality of the mount (brass versus aluminum; the latter can bind to your filter threads), multi-coatings (anti-reflection as well as some degree of reducing the impact of water hitting the filter), etc.

At 24mm you are going to probably want to get a thin mount to reduce any issues with vignetting; but that may depend on your lens construction. I can get away with a standard cPol on my crop frame f/2.8 11-16mm Tokina; just because of the way it has been built, but not on my f/2.8 24-70mm Nikon lens. Also remember that something as wide as 24mm (and a bit higher) is going to give you banding in your sky shots.

As most of my glass takes 77mm filters; I have one expensive, thin multi-coated B+W filter and a number of less expensive Tiffens. If I get some glare issues, I will swap out my filters for the shot.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    I have rarely used a CPL since I've been into photography. I have been thinking about getting one for my standard and zoom lenses. The problem is, when I went to look for one, I see that there are a multitude of types. I have a 24-105 lens that I use as a "standard" lens and I'm wondering if I need the thin ringed filter due to the wide angle of the lens or just the standard size. I also am wondering if I should just use the CPL as a "lens protector" and just leave it on all the time instead of the UV I have on it now. Any help/suggestions as to which type I should get would be appreciated.
    Hi Brian, just get very good quality to the cheapest possible price and
    don't forget to remove any other filter(s) prior to screw the CPL on!

Real Name
    Grahame

Brian, I will throw another angle in.

I have recently used the CPL I purchased early in my photography days on a lens that had a smaller thread as I had the hindsight to purchase adaptors (step up rings) a few years back. Unfortunately I'm unable to use it on other lenses I have since purchased that have a thread size greater than the CPL.

It may be worth you considering possible future lens sizes from what you have now, buying a larger filter than what you need now and purchasing the adaptor rings that are very cheap.

I wonder if others may have gone this route?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Brian get a 77mm filter and then use stepping rings so you can use it on other lens.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

I have two kit lenses so it is permanently attached to one of them.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Brian get a 77mm filter and then use stepping rings so you can use it on other lens.

Allan, I only have 3 lenses that can cover everything that I shoot. Two of those are 77mm and the other is a 58. I think a stepper ring for the 58->77 would be a bit much and kind of bulky. Appreciate the idea, though. Based on everyone's input here, I'll probably go with a slim ring multicoated. That is, once I get the funds together for the prices on those things.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I have rarely used a CPL since I've been into photography. I have been thinking about getting one for my standard and zoom lenses. The problem is, when I went to look for one, I see that there are a multitude of types. I have a 24-105 lens that I use as a "standard" lens and I'm wondering if I need the thin ringed filter due to the wide angle of the lens or just the standard size.
    I assume that you are referring to the possibility of the Filter creating an OPTICAL VIGNETTE in the image when the 24 to 105 lens is set to the wider angle Focal Lengths? – in this case: a small or thin ‘profile’ CPL would be better than a thick profile CPL.

HOWEVER – IF you choose to use the CPL at the wider FLs on your 24 to 105 lens, then you need to also consider the BANDING in the attenuation of the polarized light that the CPL will exhibit.

Before you purcahse a CPL for use on your 24 to 105 you might like to read this thread for reference and note specifically posts: 1; 4; 29; 32 and 33.

. . .I also am wondering if I should just use the CPL as a "lens protector" and just leave it on all the time instead of the UV I have on it now. Any help/suggestions as to which type I should get would be appreciated.
    No.

That would be a retrograde step and would impact upon your capacity in several shooting scenarios and in several different ways.

. . .I only have 3 lenses that can cover everything that I shoot. Two of those are 77mm and the other is a 58. I think a stepper ring for the 58->77 would be a bit much and kind of bulky. Appreciate the idea, though. . .
    Not necessarily. The idea actually has a lot of merit.

“bulkiness” of the Step up Ring (I assume that means ‘profile’) is not the main criterion for scraping the idea: more importantly, it is the Focal Length of the Lens on which the CPL will be used. (and also the camera format).

For example, if the ɸ58mm lens is the EF 50 F/1.4 and the step up ring had a profile around 5~8mm then, you should have no issue with OPTICAL VIGNETTE.

Read this thread for more information about Step Up Rings.

BTW, I have not ever had any problems with quality ‘anodized’ aluminium Step Up Rings and I live and work near the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    . . . It may be worth you considering possible future lens sizes from what you have now, buying a larger filter than what you need now and purchasing the adaptor rings that are very cheap. I wonder if others may have gone this route?
    Yes, but not with a CPL, but with an HOYA X400 ND. I bought an ɸ82mm filter previous to and in anticipation of the possibility of my buying the EF 16 to 35 F/2.8 MkII.

I understand Canon only have TWO lenses with ɸ82mm thread - and the other is the EF 24 to 70 F/2.8 L MkII USM, and if the OP has Canon and is considering that particular Canon zoom lens as a future purchase, then I think that the idea has merit, because a 24 to 70 would be a lens on which a CPL could be usefully used – even though a CPL is not that much use, generally.

I think that there are also third party fast zooms in that range with that filter size, too.

I am not sure, off the top of my head, about Nikon Lens's Filter Diameters.

WW

Real Name
    Allan Short

William the Lee CPL is 105mm however you need the ring holder which is attached to the Lee filter system. I have 2 Lee holders, one will hold 3 filters and the other 1 filter with the 105mm ring attached to that one.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thank you for that info.