Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: installing camera raw on lightroom, help!

Real Name
    Nicola Terry

installing camera raw on lightroom, help!

I bought a canon eos 100D at the weekend and a copy of Lightroom 5. Then I discovered it did not support RAW files. After much searching I found a link to a zip file for the plug in. I unpacked and installed it, got a message "plug in installed on computer" but it is nowhere to be found!
    What am I doing wrong? Can anybody help please?
    Windows 7 and firefox.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: installing camera raw on lightroom, help!

Hi Nicola

There seems to be a serious mis-understanding here - Lightroom does support RAW files and LR5 should support those from the EOS 100D. You shouldn't need any plug-ins.

What makes you think it doesn't support RAW files ? and what plug-in did you download ?

Dave

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Nicola There seems to be a serious mis-understanding here
    +1
    Though I do not use these products, I know there is nothing ACR can do that LR5 could not!

Real Name
    Dave

I would uninstall and then reinstall Lightroom. Lightroom is built around RAW processing, but it doesn't work by opening a file, modifying it, then saving. I don't know if you have done any reading up around the product, but I would recommend Julieanne Kost's excellent (and free) YouTube videos as a starting point. It's really important to get your head around the basics of the Library and catalogue before you set out.

Dave

Real Name
    wm c boyer

As a point of reference...they aren't called RAW... LR refers to them as CR2 files.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Yes, for "Canon RAW v.2"

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nicola - As others have already written; Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) and the Lightroom Develop Module are identical other than the differences in the user interface. ACR is not a separate plugin; but is part of Photoshop.

If after you have read the previous comments and are still having issues, please let us know. If you are shooting jpeg + RAW (which is what I do), then it will show both files as a single file and if you look carefully, you will see the images CR2 + jpeg in the top right-hand corner of the thumbnails. If you used this setup (I believe this is the default setting), you will only see one image; but any edits will be appled to both jpeg and RAW.

Real Name
    Dan

Dave's comment is really the key. It's not just that Lightroom supports raw files. Editing raw files is what Lightroom is designed to do. When you install Lightroom, part of what you are installing (although it doesn't appear separately) is Adobe's raw file processing engine, called Adobe Canon Raw.

My guess is that either there was a mistake installing Lightroom or that you did not follow the Lightroom procedure for opening files. Because Lightroom is also a database program, you access files by importing into lightroom the directories where the photos are stored.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

I just checked LR5 and I have loads of CR2 files uploaded / imported and bought to 'develop' module. As Dan states, probably an installation error. You could also try going to 'help' and click on updates.

Real Name
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    When you install Lightroom, part of what you are installing (although it doesn't appear separately) is Adobe's raw file processing engine, called Adobe Canon Raw.
    ??

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carolus View Post
    ??
    He must be a Canon owner!

Real Name
    Nicola Terry

Hi, thanks for your replies. They pulled me out of panic mode and made me think. I had taken a few shots and saved the in raw and jpg. Paint shop pro displayed the jpg images and blank boxes for the raw ones. When I opened them in lightroom only half the images were displayed. Instant assumption, "it's only got the jpegs". On looking closely this evening they are cr-2 files. Quick experiment, shot a couple of raw only pics and downloaded them. Hey presto up they come in lightroom.
    Conclusion:- Yes I'm an idiot and I have an awful lot to learn. I will check out the you tube video and other suggestion you have kindly made.
    At least now I can stop panicing and get down to the fun business of taking pictures with my new camera!!!!!
    Thanks everyone

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by nterry View Post
    Conclusion:- Yes I'm an idiot and I have an awful lot to learn.
    No no no Nicola, you're being way too hard on yourself. Adobe products have quite a learning curve.

Glad to hear you are on top of. It.

Dave