Thread: HDR Images

HDR Images

Is it better to merge images then make ACR adjustments or make the ACR adjustments then merge the images?

I use HDR Efex Pro 2.

Thanks
    Jack

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: HDR Images

ACR first - you need a good solid base to start with, so get all the RAW conversion cleanup done first. I always take care of the my lens corrections and CA correction before I work on any image. As you are working with the RAW data you can use all of the data that your camera was able to capture and tweak it so that you do make the shadow detail and highlight detail available to HDR Efex Pro 2 processing.

I don't do a lot of HDR any more, but this is certainly the workflow I followed when doing HDRI in the past and will continue to do so in any future images.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

+1

Real Name
    Homer

It depends. If the images don't need much work, it is a lot easier to do the HDR first, then if you have to remove some litter or phone lines, you can do it in the merged image. As a rule, I use a couple of basic import settings then go right to HDR.

But, I'll also admit that I'm not trying to make super-precise images - just trying to get an effect. I took off a bent antenna and the open trunk of a car in the background in this image. Did it once in Photoshop after the merge to HDR.

HDR Images

Real Name
    Dan

+1 to Manfred's input. I do all of the basic PP on the RAW files. Another advantage to doing the basics on the RAW is that if you goof up the HDR conversion, you don't have a lot of wasted effort if you have to start all over again. Maybe I'm the only one but sometimes I'll get well into editing a complex image (i.e. HDR or pano) and realize I've totally mucked it up and just start all over.

I always make Lens and CA correction on import. I will now check highlights and shadows for HDR.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Jack

I'm no expert on HDR but have done it a bit with the HDR feature in Photoshop CS6. I have to say I'm a little surprised at some of the advice you've received here, maybe I've mis-understood. I can understand that you would do very basic adjustments in ACR such as lens correction and capture sharpening but I would have thought you would not fiddle with exposure, shadows or highlights before HDR. My reasoning is that the HDR process is all about using the best exposed parts from the various images captured. Hence I would do that first and then trim up any shadows or highlights afterwards.

Dave

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Jack

I'm no expert on HDR but have done it a bit with the HDR feature in Photoshop CS6. I have to say I'm a little surprised at some of the advice you've received here, maybe I've mis-understood. I can understand that you would do very basic adjustments in ACR such as lens correction and capture sharpening but I would have thought you would not fiddle with exposure, shadows or highlights before HDR. My reasoning is that the HDR process is all about using the best exposed parts from the various images captured. Hence I would do that first and then trim up any shadows or highlights afterwards.

Dave

+1 to your post Dave, I too am a bit confused.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Dave you are right, "about wanting to use the best exposed parts from the various images captured". However the beauty of working the image before processing is this: lets say you have 3 images -2,0,+2, but the histograms shows that most of the tonal quality is lumped in the middle the shot, in reality the shot will be flat, now "select all" and work that middle shot to get it looking the best you can. Once done, "Close", then select the three images for Photoshop HDR, use the 32 bit setting, do not worry what it looks like on screen, now save as a tiff. Once that is done open that tiff in ACR, now you have access to all that ACR has to offer, reprocess in ACR, then open it in Photoshop to finish it off.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Dave you are right, "about wanting to use the best exposed parts from the various images captured". However the beauty of working the image before processing is this: lets say you have 3 images -2,0,+2, but the histograms shows that most of the tonal quality is lumped in the middle the shot, in reality the shot will be flat, now "select all" and work that middle shot to get it looking the best you can. Once done, "Close", then select the three images for Photoshop HDR, use the 32 bit setting, do not worry what it looks like on screen, now save as a tiff. Once that is done open that tiff in ACR, now you have access to all that ACR has to offer, reprocess in ACR, then open it in Photoshop to finish it off.

Cheers: Allan
    Thanks Allan. I have used the 32bit feature and found it very good but I will experiment with what you say. Very interesting.

Dave