Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Understanding Canon MP640

Understanding Canon MP640

What ho gents and ladies,

I have recently acquired a Pixma MP 640 printer that apparently was not working. whatever, It does appear to be working just fine so I bought some new ink cartridges.

I'm a bit of a rookie with colour printing. My photos are usually submitted to photo-libraries so I don't bother printing.

Recently, I have been reworking some images to make them sepia or hand coloured with torn or fuzzy borders; I want a vintage feel and with some, I believe that I have succeeded. To make the 'torn' border stand out, I set the image size to A4, filled with black and dropped the image in. The result is a vintage image with a thin black border, all within A4.

Now I come to printing with the MP640 and the problem. It has two settings for A4; white border or black border. if I select white, it does what it says on the box, and now the printed image is smaller than A4 by the size of the white border.

If I select Black Border, it enlarges the image a little to get rid of the 'white' border. The result is a printed image that does not have my original narrow border, and the 'vintage' edge is either on the edge of the A4 sheet or is cut off altogether.

So my question is, is it possible to print an A4 image onto A4 paper with the MP640, without either slight enlargement or reduction in size? I only want what I have on-screen, nothing more, nothing less. Sample of image attached

Thanks,

Rekusu

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...1&d=1410117126
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Understanding Canon MP640

What editing software are you using to print the images from.
    I downloaded your image and had no troubles printing to A4 using iPhoto

PhotoShop CS3. The image prints OK, but as I said above, with white border, it reduces the image to what I attached, with a white border. so I have white, then black then the image itself.

If I ask for borderless, ( that would be a better description of what the program offers) it does not change the previous white to black, it crops the image by about 3 / 4 mm all round to make the print borderless, but that leaves me with no black border at all. The program is obviously enlarging to give a 'bleed' area to make it borderless.

The only way around that I can see is to print normally, with white border and then trim the image. But then it won't fit the A4 space in the frame without a white border, unless I buy some black paper as a backing.

Real Name
    Greg

It's late here now. I will have a go printing from CS6 tomorrow and see if I can help.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Rekusu,

Use the "borderless" option, in the Canon printing properties. In Canon Utilities - go tae "My Printer" > "Printer settings"/"Properties".

This offers lots of options , including the borderless one.

Or, for quick solutions, again in "Utilities", click on "Solution menu" > "One click to print"...

Choose image...Understanding Canon MP640

Choose layout,...Understanding Canon MP640

Choose borderless - there's an option tae crop and make minor adjustments like red-eye etc. Understanding Canon MP640

The first method (at the top) is the better one. Many more options available.....