Thread: AF point lock switch

Real Name
    Pierre

AF point lock switch

So I have this switch on the d7000, its default position is OFF (downward). never given too much attention to it until now.
    According to both the manual and personnal experience it just prevent from changing focal point, but I wonder if anybody use it, if so in what situation and to what purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: AF point lock switch

I've never used it intentionally. I have had it switched, either accidentally or by others handling my camera. It took me a while to figure out the problem and only after refering to the manual.

Real Name
    Pierre

I see what you mean. I find it weird to have a virtually useless switch...

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Peeshan View Post
    I see what you mean. I find it weird to have a virtually useless switch...
    My opinion as well. I didn't state as much previously as some people may find it useful in certain circumstances. Though judging by the lack of response to your post that's not the case with CIC members.

Real Name
    John

Well, I guess I am the oddball in the group. The purpose of the switch is to prevent one from moving the focus point accidentally by bumping the control ring and then not noticing that it has moved and goof up the focus on the next shots. I mostly use the center focus point so I leave the lock on unless I want to want change the focus point. I messed up some shots when I first started with using DSLRs and have stuck with using the lock even though I would hope that I now would notice that the focus point had moved.

John