Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trojan Horse

Real Name
    Binnur

Trojan Horse

It would have been a shame if I hadn't shot Trojan Horse , because it stands where I live and it has been photographed by every single foreigner who has been to Çanakkale so far. For curious members here is the story of Trojan Horse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Horse

I pushed the radius slider aggresively for the first time to bring out the texture because I have heard in one of the threads of CinC that high radius has a contrasty effect on images. There is a lot of cloning in the image because of the people, bicycles and lights around, so it took me quite a long time to clone everything. I left only two people in the image as a sense of scale. They look a bit blurred because they kept moving in the long exposure.

C&C are appreciated as always

Trojan Horse

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Trojan Horse

Very cool, Binnur! Your use of increased texture works really well here. I only wish there was a bit more space around the subject, especially on the left side.

What's the source of the museum piece?

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

That is neat!!!! I like how the inclusion of people provides scale. Great lighting and detail.

'Rie

Real Name
    David

Well done Binnur, all your time and effort has paid off!

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured, it appears that tourists come to visit night and day.

Real Name
    Kim

Lovely. The two people you left really give it a sense of proportion. Also love the texture of the horse and the way the light has hit it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A very interesting shot Binnur; the lighting works nicely, and your high ISO has resulted in a fairly noisy background.

I agree with the others; the top left side of the horse does appear to be a bit "crowded". I find that (usually) leaving a bit of headroom in the direction of the way something is moving or looking works, even when dealing with a sculpture or statue. Having the people in ths hot definitely gives the image some scale.

As this is already largely monochromatic; have you tried a B&W conversion? That often reduces the impact of sensor noise.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Mike I'm glad that you liked the image .I did a very little rotation and that's why I lost some precious space around Adding some canvas might work.

Trojan Horse is something mythological. The Ancient City of Troy is in the borders of Çanakkale and it is actually about 30 km away from where I live. There are some maquettes of Trojan Horse in some other countries too. We have one in the City of Troy and one in the center of Çanakkale which is above. As far as I know, this one was used in the film Troy made in 2004 and Warner Bros gave it to Turkey as a gift later

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Very cool, Binnur! Your use of increased texture works really well here. I only wish there was a bit more space around the subject, especially on the left side.

What's the source of the museum piece?

Real Name
    Ali

Great photo! I love the lighting and texture of the horse.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Marie , I'm glad that you liked it

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    That is neat!!!! I like how the inclusion of people provides scale. Great lighting and detail.

'Rie

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks, Binnur. After reviewing a photo of the Horse used in the movie, I guessed that this might be that Horse but wasn't sure.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks for your encouraging comment David

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    Well done Binnur, all your time and effort has paid off!

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you John Yes , there are usually a lot of tourists here especially in spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely captured, it appears that tourists come to visit night and day.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Kim, I'm glad that you liked it

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Lovely. The two people

you left really give it a sense of proportion. Also love the texture of the horse and the way the light has hit it.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Manfred I'm glad that you liked the image.

Unfortunatelly , ISO 100 is the minimum ISO value on my camera settings ( I have a Canon 1100 D for the time being). As I explained Mike in my post above , I did a little image rotation but because there was limited empty space around the head , I lost some more of it after rotating I might try adding some canvas.

I like the look of natural wood with real colours but I made a very quick B&W conversion of the image for you by using the JPG version. IMO it looks nice but it looks like an image in documentary books. I think I will keep both versions after adding some canvas

Trojan Horse

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    A very interesting shot Binnur; the lighting works nicely, and your high ISO has resulted in a fairly noisy background.

I agree with the others; the top left side of the horse does appear to be a bit "crowded". I find that (usually) leaving a bit of headroom in the direction of the way something is moving or looking works, even when dealing with a sculpture or statue. Having the people in ths hot definitely gives the image some scale.

As this is already largely monochromatic; have you tried a B&W conversion? That often reduces the impact of sensor noise.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you for looking and commenting Ali

Quote Originally Posted by ajsmith View Post
    Great photo! I love the lighting and texture of the horse.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Thank you John Yes , there are usually a lot of tourists here especially in spring and summer.
    Binnur,

Would you prefer that shot with or without the tourists? Sometimes shots like these need the human element added, sometimes not.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Binnur,

Just to say that I think this image is absolutely gorgeous! I prefer the colour version because of the way it shows the beautiful light and texture.

Real Name
    Binnur

John, I left only two tourists for a sense of scale because the horse stands in the city centre by the sea and people go for walks there nearly everytime, so not only tourists but also residents are there with their ice creams,bicycles and baby strollers That's why I wanted this particular image clean . But we have quite a lot of historical places and ancient cities in Turkey and If I was in one of them to shoot I might like to have some tourists in the frame because they might add to the composition

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Binnur,

Would you prefer that shot with or without the tourists? Sometimes shots like these need the human element added, sometimes not.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you very much for looking and commenting Christina I prefer the color version too.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Hi Binnur,

Just to say that I think this image is absolutely gorgeous! I prefer the colour version because of the way it shows the beautiful light and texture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast