northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Trojan Horse

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    But we have quite a lot of historical places and ancient cities in Turkey
    That's an incredible understatement.

Real Name
    Binnur

Please excuse my English Mike because it is not my first language May be I should have said 'a lot of' instead of 'quite a lot of'. In fact , everywhere is full of history in Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    A very interesting shot Binnur; the lighting works nicely, and your high ISO has resulted in a fairly noisy background.

I agree with the others; the top left side of the horse does appear to be a bit "crowded". I find that (usually) leaving a bit of headroom in the direction of the way something is moving or looking works, even when dealing with a sculpture or statue. Having the people in ths hot definitely gives the image some scale.

As this is already largely monochromatic; have you tried a B&W conversion? That often reduces the impact of sensor noise.
    100 ISO Manfred high ???

Any noise is probably due to high rad sharpening. It often brings it up even when there isn't any there, might just be slight chroma effects or other things. I often use it for quick PP to just post an image as Manfred notices - noise. It doesn't cause any problems on some images and can be effective for a number of problems.

I don't know what PP software Binnur uses. I would either use a size sensitive denoiser set for larger areas on it or say wavelet denoise via a brush, or blur. The other way is to produce a well denoised version and use layers and masks or a transparency brush to retain the horse and show the denoised background. This sort of thing really needs to be done on the full sized image making sure all noise has gone when the shot is downsized and sharpened.

What PP software do you use Binnur? From a comment Colin made some time ago PS has something called a surface blur. This should be able to leave detail untouched.

John
    -

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    100 ISO Manfred high ???

Any noise is probably due to high rad sharpening. It often brings it up even when there isn't any there, might just be slight chroma effects or other things. I often use it for quick PP to just post an image as Manfred notices - noise. It doesn't cause any problems on some images and can be effective for a number of problems.

I don't know what PP software Binnur uses. I would either use a size sensitive denoiser set for larger areas on it or say wavelet denoise via a brush, or blur. The other way is to produce a well denoised version and use layers and masks or a transparency brush to retain the horse and show the denoised background. This sort of thing really needs to be done on the full sized image making sure all noise has gone when the shot is downsized and sharpened.

What PP software do you use Binnur? From a comment Colin made some time ago PS has something called a surface blur. This should be able to leave detail untouched.

John
    -
    Binnur did not post the ISO she used until after I made my comment, John (and I did not look at the image metadata). The background is noisy. I'm actually quite surprised that the image is so noisy shooting at the base 100 ISO.

Agreed, there are many ways of dealing with the noise.

Real Name
    Remco

If the problem is the background noise only and this noise is due to the aggressive sharpening applied, why not use a mask to restrict the sharpening to the horse, and use the original unsharpened background (after all, there's nothing there to be sharpened)?

Remco

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi John (ajohnw) and Remco, thanks for looking and commenting I actually didn't notice and care about the noise in the BG very much because the BG is so dark already. But I can always reduce it selectively, no problem at all

John I use PS CC .
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 1st September 2014 at 05:06 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Truly and understatement. It's a pretty big place too. The only problem is the people - not the ones that live there - the tourists. Many of my shots were cluttered up with them.

John
    -

Real Name
    Shane

Very nice image Binnur...color for me and I like the inclusion of the tourists and agree that without them it would look like a catalogue or museum shot.

Real Name
    Binnur

There were a lot of moving objects around when I shot this too. Fortunately fast moving ones didn't show in the image because of the long exposure and I cloned the rest May be you should try long exposures with ND filters next time to eliminate the tourists but IMO it is not convenient if you want to see different places in a short time.

Truly and understatement. It's a pretty big place too. The only problem is the people - not the ones that live there - the tourists. Many of my shots were cluttered up with them.

John
    -

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks for commenting Shane, I'm glad that you liked it

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Very nice image Binnur...color for me and I like the inclusion of the tourists and agree that without them it would look like a catalogue or museum shot.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John
    -
    John - you are the master of the understatement; tourists at popular tourist sites; who would have thought that could occur.

If I have time and the situation isn't too bad; I'll hand hold (tripod is easier, but often not practical) and take multiple shots of a scene watching for gaps in the tourists and will then stack and selectively erase in post. Of course, that assumes that there are gaps, and that doesn't always happen. In those cases, my "weapon of choice" is an ultra-wide angle lens that lets me step in front of the hoards and get my image by being in front of them.

Of course, neither technique guarantees success.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

As with Christina, I like the colour version because of the light. Also the sense of proportion with the inclusion of the two human elements you left there...Excellent shot, Binnur...

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you very much Isabel I'm glad that you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    As with Christina, I like the colour version because of the light. Also the sense of proportion with the inclusion of the two human elements you left there...Excellent shot, Binnur...

Binnur, I really like this image, especially the colour version. The lighting is wonderful.
    Awhile ago I met someone who used a very simple technique in photoshop to remove
    people. I am attaching the instructions for you, it is far easier than cloning them out.

Trojan Horse

Real Name
    Grahame

Very nice Binnur. Leaving those two people in that position has really helped make this shot in showing the scale of the horse.

I'm also in favour of the colour, it's just too good to lose.

Grahame

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Rita, I'm glad that you liked the image Thank you very much also for the very useful info about removing tourists. I might try it in the future when I visit some areas with full of tourists. May be formula above is more useful for day time shots because they are usually short exposures and it is easier to take 15 shots one after another. Because I shot this image at night , it was a 30 second long exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Binnur, I really like this image, especially the colour version. The lighting is wonderful.
    Awhile ago I met someone who used a very simple technique in photoshop to remove
    people. I am attaching the instructions for you, it is far easier than cloning them out.

Trojan Horse

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you for looking and commenting Grahame , I'm glad that you liked the image

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Very nice Binnur. Leaving those two people in that position has really helped make this shot in showing the scale of the horse.

I'm also in favour of the colour, it's just too good to lose.

Grahame

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Lovely. The two people you left really give it a sense of proportion. Also love the texture of the horse and the way the light has hit it.
    This.

Really nice image.

Real Name
    John

I ran into a problem with the remove tourists approach. By the time some had moved the lighting had changed and that produced some odd artefacts. The other problem at some destinations is the shear number of tourists. Coaches turn up all day in large numbers at some of the famous "sites" each with say 40 odd people in them. Take 10 coaches and that can be a lot of people and some of the car parks at the sites can take more and another comes soon after one goes. Still well worth a trip but can be photographically frustrating at times. I hope to go to another area of the country at some point but it looks like next year at the moment. I was hoping for October again this year. Wife not willing at the moment.

John
    -

Real Name
    Greg

I definitely prefer the colour version, Binnur. Apart from the people, it looks as if it could be a monochrome with a warm tint applied. Anyway, nice colours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast