Thread: How could I have taken a better image?

Real Name
    Glenn

How could I have taken a better image?

The above question I posted on a PC forum with a photography section and was advised to join here as you are a helpful bunch.

I am very new to DSLR cameras and currently have a Canon EOS 350D with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5 IS lens and I also have a EF-S 55-250mm zoom lens and 58mm 0.45x Wide Angle & Macro HD Conversion Lens . The last one I am not really sure of it's purpose.

the question concerned this image.

How could I have taken a better image?

I spotted a squirrel from my living room window, I live on the first floor by the way, running across a piece of grass with a slice of bread in it's mouth heading for the tree where I believe it has it's home. The tree is about 50'-60' feet away I estimate.

By the time I had got my camera it was upside down on the tree looking at this slice of bread. I suspect that I was on a hiding to nothing with this shot and a much better one would of been of the squirrel bread in mouth running through the grass which would have meant better contrast. I doubt whether I could have taken much better given my woeful level of expertise so really looking for general simple help. First steps so to speak.

AT the moment I know nothing of focal points, aperture speeds, exposures and the like. I have just printed off the manual but much of it assumes you are confident with the terminology which I am not. But am going though it all the same.

Real Name
    John

Re: How could I have taken a better image?

Hi Glenn,

Which lens did you use, camera settings? First observation would be to get closer.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    …First observation would be to get closer.
    +1 …or zoom-in! These are very swift and most of the time shy…

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Squirrels come and go, there will always be another one come along, but...next time plan ahead.
    What f/stop, SS do you want to use? Wait for a better pose from that critter...there's no hurry.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    AT the moment I know nothing of focal points, aperture speeds, exposures and the like. I have just printed off the manual but much of it assumes you are confident with the terminology which I am not. But am going though it all the same.
    You are probably aware of the tutorials provided on the home page of CiC. Begin going through them, as the first tutorials explain the basics that will make it much easier for you to understand your camera manual and the terminology used here by people writing posts to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    I am very new to DSLR cameras...

...really looking for general simple help. First steps so to speak.

AT the moment I know nothing of focal points, aperture speeds, exposures and the like. I have just printed off the manual but much of it assumes you are confident with the terminology which I am not.

Glenn, stand by for a barrage of technical jibberjabber, none of which is going to help you at the moment. I suggest you click on Photography Tutorials up above (same line as Home, Forum, etc) Start with the very basics, have your camera and manual as well. You really can't become proficient until you have a least a basic understanding of your camera and its functions. In the mean time, put your 55-250mm lens on your camera, set your camera to Auto and go out side and play. Set on auto the camera will make all the decisions for you with the exception of Zoom. It will get you out with your camera, getting used to it and, once you've figured out how to download your pics onto your computer you can start Post Processing them...KIDDING...you likely have a way to go before you will start post processing your images but, when you do, be sure to post asking which is the best post processing software out to use, the answers/discussions will be mind boggling.

But to start the ball rolling:

ISO - how sensitive your camera ((s) sensor) is to light, low number ISO very bright light (beach, snow), high ISO, dark (candle lights, street lights)
    Aperture - how big the shutter opens, which determines how much light comes into your camera, this will affect how much of your image (front to back) is or is not in focus.
    Shutter Speed - how fast your shutter opens and closes.

All three settings work in concert so you need to have an understanding of them because pichur takin' is all about the technical stuff. You're not allowed to have fun for at least a year...kidding again. As I said earlier, set your camera to Auto (green on one of your dials on the top of the camera) and Go. Have. Fun.
    Good luck (and RTFM :-)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi Glenn - welcome to CIC.

You've gotten some excellent advice so far Glenn. Become your own harshest critic, study the works of others, learn the technical aspects of photography and you will be on your way.

The two key things I keep repeating to myself regarding becoming a good photographer, are the two quotes by two famous photographers. I keep repeating both ideas over and over again, when I shoot (and I am well past the 10,000 shots of the Cartier-Bresson quote)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd just add to what's above, Glenn, by saying - don't worry about the quality of pictures at the moment. What you're needing to concentrate on is getting to know your camera like the palm of your hand - Study the manual. Read the basic tutorials on here. Study the manual again. Just play with the camera until you get to feel comfortable with it in your hands and you can work all the controls with ease. The ultimate goal is to be able to work your camera subconsciously. Not having to think about what button you press to do what, etc etc.

Once you've got that then you can devote your conscious efforts to things like composition and exposure.

Now, all of that takes time and if you're anything like 99.99% of us on here, you will go through periods of intense frustration when you just want to throw the camera away and wonder why you ever got interested in this stupid hobby and who do those smart-a...e idiots on that forum think they are trying to be so clever.......!

Been there. Done it.

That's when you need to be determined to stick with it. And there are so many people on here who will help and support you in that. So, ask lots of questions.

Real Name
    Daniel

Welcome to CiC, Glen! I agree with the many comments made about knowing your camera first. CiC has many helpful articles that I read when I was first learning about photography.

Real Name
    Binnur

Welcome Glenn, tutorials of CinC teaches a lot