Thread: The Lug wormer

Real Name
    Ivor J Roberts

The Lug wormer

[
    Last edited by IvorJRoberts; 12th September 2014 at 05:13 PM.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Re: The Lug wormer

Hello Ivor: I have to admit that I have no idea what a "lug wormer" could be?? I do think you should be very happy with this image. I find it quite interesting. It makes me wonder where he's going and what he has in those buckets. And what is the pitchfork for?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Susan a note, a pitch fork has 3 tines, it was originally used to pitch sheaves (bundles of tied grain that was still attached to the stock of the plant). I appears he has two forks over his shoulder, each having 4 tines which would suggest a short handled dung fork (I think you can guess what that is), 5 tines was usually a hay fork, and six tines was a straw fork. We had another couple at the farm, for the life of me I can not remember what they were for. A dung fork would work well to dig up soft wet ground to collect worms from.

Cheers: Allan

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Susan a note, a pitch fork has 3 tines, it was originally used to pitch sheaves (bundles of tied grain that was still attached to the stock of the plant). I appears he has two forks over his shoulder, each having 4 tines which would suggest a short handled dung fork (I think you can guess what that is), 5 tines was usually a hay fork, and six tines was a straw fork. We had another couple at the farm, for the life of me I can not remember what they were for. A dung fork would work well to dig up soft wet ground to collect worms from.

Cheers: Allan
    Judging then from what I learned from your info, the title of this post should have been The Worm Lug-ger? Oh I don't know...just thinking out loud here...

Anyway, interesting shot Ivor...thought provoking as Susan J said. He is probably out to dig out some worms for baits. Some people grow them like mushrooms. Yuk!

Real Name
    David

Nice capture Ivor, Suzan and Izzie, a Lugworm is a type of worm used for Sea-fishing, they are found in the sand on beaches

David

Real Name
    steve

Susan - Izzie,

All you ever? wanted to know about lugworm - http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/lugworm

They are one of the most popular baits used by us sea anglers. Ivor's image (good one by the way) brings back so many memories but I must admit my days of digging my own are past - I now just buy them from a chap who gathers bait for a living.

steve

Real Name
    Suzan J

My goodness... As I have said before, I learn so much more on this forum than merely photographic techniques. Thank you Allan, David, and Steve for the information. I live on a small hobby farm and have two forks hanging in my shed. One has five tines and one has six tines. I have always referred to them as "the pitchforks". I will now address them by their proper names, Hay Fork and Straw Fork.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Ivor, I like the image I think it is a bit soft and it needs sharpening. I would also add some clarity and vibrance to the image for a livelier look.

Real Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Ivor, I like the image I think it is a bit soft and it needs sharpening. I would also add some clarity and vibrance to the image for a livelier look.
    Binnur - I think your comment really exemplifies how an image can appeal on different levels - some will see an image which they quite like but perhaps think it could be better with a bit of sharpening etc.

On the other hand I quite like it as it stands now as a digging session really takes it out of you - I've often walked that unsharp, soft, not very vibrant and certainly not sharp walk !!

A success for Ivor then as he has different audiences reacting positively to an image but for their own reasons.

steve

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan J View Post
    My goodness... As I have said before, I learn so much more on this forum than merely photographic techniques. Thank you Allan, David, and Steve for the information. I live on a small hobby farm and have two forks hanging in my shed. One has five tines and one has six tines. I have always referred to them as "the pitchforks". I will now address them by their proper names, Hay Fork and Straw Fork.
    Susan, my husband was a farm kid and amongst other things in our shed are what I also referred to as "pitchforks". All of them are pitchfork to me. I use them in the garden whichever ones seems to be easier for me to use at the time... I grew up in a farm but being the spoiled brat that I was, I had never been asked to help in it apart from my grandmother telling me to "go chase the kids (baby goats) and milk the them so you have something for breakfast! " So my knowledge of pitchforks is really borne from ignorance. Like big machineries though...

I must also thank Allan, David and Steve for the educating me on what I have in my shed. Dang! Now I have to go to my shed in the morning and identify them...too dark now...thanks guys!!!!

Real Name
    Ivor J Roberts

Four Copper Pitchers

The Lug wormer

I took this photograph at Felbrigg Hall Norfolk, a National Trust site in England The picture is part of a display of kitchen utensils in the late 19th century.

Real Name
    Ivor J Roberts

The Gardener's Corner

The Lug wormer

Taken during a visit to a beautiful garden in Stevington, Bedfordshire England. It is truly worth a visit. I just happened to look behind myself as my wife and I were walking through to another part of the garden. I was told once to always look behind where you had just passed, you may see a photograph that you would have missed. I liked the jumble of the gardener's corner. I can remember my father sitting in place this, pipe with no tobacco, but as happy as he could be, sorting out all the plants for his garden.

Real Name
    Ivor J Roberts

The Gallery, Wrest Park, Bedfordshire, England

The Lug wormer

This is part of an English Heritage Site. There was no way that the photograph could have been taken from a direct view, so I took this from floor level and hopefully made the best of the picture that I could.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan J View Post
    Hello Ivor: I have to admit that I have no idea what a "lug wormer" could be?? I do think you should be very happy with this image. I find it quite interesting. It makes me wonder where he's going and what he has in those buckets. And what is the pitchfork for?
    People dig lug and rag worm up on beaches to use as bait for sea fishing. Some DIY and some do it for sell or for fishing tackle shops etc.

John
    -