Thread: Purple Star

Real Name
    Vishal

Purple Star

Purple Star

I was trying to capture this bunch of flower buds from the top so that they look like a star. The problem I am facing is with colours. The same photo looks different on different screens. The colours, saturation, contrast, brightness everything looks different when I edit it (Photoshop CS6) as compared to when someone sees it online on their screens.
    How can I effectively edit photos so that they look great everywhere (at least computer screens)? or is it just not possible?

EDIT: Also, can you comment on the composition?
    Last edited by vishal1991; 22nd August 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Purple Star

It sounds like you are not converting your colour space to sRGB for web display, Vishal.

Real Name
    John

Vishal,

1st, can you clarify your statement "The same photo looks different on different screens.", do you mean different screens that you use or do you mean the online community based on their critique of your work?

Real Name
    Vishal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Vishal,

1st, can you clarify your statement "The same photo looks different on different screens.", do you mean different screens that you use or do you mean the online community based on their critique of your work?
    I have 2 laptops,a smartphone and an LCD TV. I edit the photos on one laptop and the other one is my work laptop. I have even seen my photos on my LCD TV at home. Besides this I sometimes share the photos with my friend.

The same photos look different on all the 5 screens I have mentioned above.

I agree that it has to do with the contrast ratio of different screens but the photo looks drastically different. How can I ensure that the photo looks as intended on any screen. Or is it just not possible?

Real Name
    Vishal

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    It sounds like you are not converting your colour space to sRGB for web display, Vishal.
    I do convert my photos to sRGB. I export my photos using the Save Photo for Web option in Photoshop CS6.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by vishal1991 View Post
    I have 2 laptops,a smartphone and an LCD TV. I edit the photos on one laptop and the other one is my work laptop. I have even seen my photos on my LCD TV at home. Besides this I sometimes share the photos with my friend.

The same photos look different on all the 5 screens I have mentioned above.

I agree that it has to do with the contrast ratio of different screens but the photo looks drastically different. How can I ensure that the photo looks as intended on any screen. Or is it just not possible?
    I can see why you'd get different looks on the five screens, especially if they are each viewed in different rooms, lighting conditions. I use ColorMunki to make sure that ambient light is in total agreement with how my screen projects images Additionally, different backgrounds on the monitor or the wall behind the monitor can influence how colors project Xrite website has many tutorials on how light affects our eyes, colors, and even patterns. I would download a few of the tutorials and then look into monitor calibration software.

http://www.xrite.com/colormunki-display

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice; are those monitors calibrated?

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Agreed... Monitors not calibrated can be the reason?

Real Name
    Nick

I use two different computers, pictures look much worse on one than the other. Especially when edited on the other, and then viewed on the one. The colors are unrealistic, and light areas are often lacking detail or blotchy. I think it might have to do with the quality of the screen.

I think the composition of the flower is nice. The star shape might have shown better if the focus had set on the star shaped petals, as well as the center of the flower. I am no expert, but I think using higher F.stop values can increase depth of focus, and getting farther back and zooming in might help in some instances, and then there is something called focus stacking which is useful for macro photography which I heard about on this forum, which increases apparent focus depth.

Real Name
    Vishal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I can see why you'd get different looks on the five screens, especially if they are each viewed in different rooms, lighting conditions. I use ColorMunki to make sure that ambient light is in total agreement with how my screen projects images Additionally, different backgrounds on the monitor or the wall behind the monitor can influence how colors project Xrite website has many tutorials on how light affects our eyes, colors, and even patterns. I would download a few of the tutorials and then look into monitor calibration software.

http://www.xrite.com/colormunki-display
    Thank you for the clarification and suggestion.

Real Name
    Vishal

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    No, none of them are calibrated. Is there any alternative to calibrating without buying costly calibrating instruments like what Shadowman has suggested?

Real Name
    Vishal

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    I use two different computers, pictures look much worse on one than the other. Especially when edited on the other, and then viewed on the one. The colors are unrealistic, and light areas are often lacking detail or blotchy. I think it might have to do with the quality of the screen.

I think the composition of the flower is nice. The star shape might have shown better if the focus had set on the star shaped petals, as well as the center of the flower. I am no expert, but I think using higher F.stop values can increase depth of focus, and getting farther back and zooming in might help in some instances, and then there is something called focus stacking which is useful for macro photography which I heard about on this forum, which increases apparent focus depth.
    Thank you Nick. I agree with you on using a higher f-stop value to bring out the star shape. Will remember next time. I clicked it using the 18-55 kit lens and was already at the closest focusing distance at 55mm so couldn't zoom in further. I am aware of focus stacking but I didn't carry my tripod and the 18-55 kit lens' front element moves when you change focus so it is difficult to focus stack using that lens.