Thread: Filter/lens cleaning?

Real Name
    Carol

Filter/lens cleaning?

So, what do you use to keep your lens & filters free of dust, etc.?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Filter/lens cleaning?

a rocket blower and the brush end of a lens pen. I try never to do any more substantial cleaning unless really necessary.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Microfiber cloth works really well. I always have a few sitting in my camera bag.

Real Name
    Carol

Thanks Dan! I do have both! I agree, rarely would more substantial cleaning be necessary.

Real Name
    Carol

Hi Manfred; the microfiber cloths that I have (new) is leaving dust bunnies on the filter; that's why I posted the question. I did manage to get them off using the rocket blower. I'm very surprised at my microfiber cloths, as I've always heard they are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    So, what do you use to keep your lens & filters free of dust, etc.?
    Nothing special as dust isn't a problem in my climate. But if you are in eastern Montana I can understand your problem.

When one of my white 100% cotton T-shirts are no longer serviceable, they are recycled into lens cleaning cloths. A gentle exhale on the front and some gentle wiping with a piece of the cotton cloth and it's clean.

Glenn

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi Manfred; the microfiber cloths that I have (new) is leaving dust bunnies on the filter; that's why I posted the question. I did manage to get them off using the rocket blower. I'm very surprised at my microfiber cloths, as I've always heard they are very good.
    Carol - I've never had that problem. I suggest you try a different brand as I've never found that they shed any material.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Carol,

It depends which end of the lens has the dust;

- if it's at the sensor end of the lens then it may well show in images - but normally dust doesn't accumulate there.

- if it's at the "normal end" (where you'd attach a filter) then just don't worry about it - it won't have any effect on your images.

Have a look at this to get an idea of what I mean ...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...ment-scratches

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I clean my lenses and filters with a micro fiber cloth and lens cleaning liquid. That's not to remove dust but to remove natural oil and sunscreen that might have been transferred there from my fingers.

I also use a dry microfiber cloth to remove dust from the tabletop in my makeshift studio. Like Manfred, I've never had a problem with the cloth itself depositing dust on it.

Real Name
    Pierre

I had the same problem with my microfiber cloth when it was new, but after a couple of uses it's no longer a problem. About the dust if it's a big problem you may want to buy an air purificator...

Real Name
    Carol

Glenn, thanks!

" But if you are in eastern Montana I can understand your problem."

Actually, I'm in Western Montana, in the mountains. However things (dust), etc., do migrate to the lens/filter from time to time.

Real Name
    Carol

Hi Colin:

"It depends which end of the lens has the dust;". The FZ70 is a fixed lens, so it's at the "normal" end of the lens.

Real Name
    Carol

"About the dust if it's a big problem you may want to buy an air purificator.."

I do have one running in the house; however, just thru normal use, there are "specks" that appear on the lens, which is dust; this is NOT a big problem, but I wish to keep the lens pristine, & just wondered what others use.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Colin:

"It depends which end of the lens has the dust;". The FZ70 is a fixed lens, so it's at the "normal" end of the lens.
    Just use a bit of "huff" and a microfibre cloth. Any remaining "lint specks" will have zero effect on the images.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Just use a bit of "huff" and a microfibre cloth. Any remaining "lint specks" will have zero effect on the images.
    Not quite sure on that one, Colin.

Stop down an ultra-wide angle all the way and crud on the front element does get into your image. I can't recall if I've had this happen on my still cameras, but have definitely experienced this on my video cameras. The DoF is so deep that the front element of the lens almost "in-focus". Add to that the small 1/4" or 1/3" sensor these cameras tend to use and...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

If I do worry about it: I also "huff" on the lens or the filter and usually use the lens cleaning cloth in my bag.

On the other hand - I have had a dog lick the lens; a child dump an ice cream into it and also kid's finger prints (all on the second camera hanging off me) - and in those cases the "huff" and the soft handkerchief or he bottom of the cotton shirt that I am wearing was the "on the spot first aid" solution.

Lenses and Filters are really pretty tough and it is like on the other recent thread about which UV filter to buy - in the real world, a bit of dust (on the front end) will not worry that much.

I am careful about sand and grit: anything that's different to dust in so far as it can scratch, big time scratch I mean.

I live and work near beaches and in the wind I am aware of sand accumulating on the lens or filter -that's when I would likely blower brush the and particles off before giving the light "huff and shirt tail polish" (because the "huff" no matte how careful will have some moisture and we don't want the sand coagulating to become "sandpaper").

Although we could mount a very good argument (e.g. see Colin's post) that even those few scratches won't interfere with the Image Quality I don't think it is very nice (or 'professional') to walk around sporting scratched gear, when it can be avoided by a little respect for the gear.

On the other hand I have worked with a sports shooter who never used lens caps (front or back); or 'protection' filters and carried three lens (set of three EF 2.8 zooms ) and two 1 Series bodies in a duffle bag with his bananas and coke - sometimes empty coke cans with dribbles remaining and sometimes just used banana skins . . . his pictures were fine.

I also think that for those who take more care than I - it is important that, such behaviour should be encouraged, and not argued against. Even though I hold the views that: a little "huff" and a soft shirt tail rub won't matter in the slightest; and a bit of crud on the lens won't matter either - those that have a more careful approach to cleaning than I should be respected for the respect that they are showing for their gear: and that is important.

I think part of this difference in attitude comes from the 'purpose' that we each have for owning cameras. Mine were (and sometimes still are) essentially work tools - so they are cared for; worked hard: but NOT molly-coddled like a precious item.

On the other hand I keep my piano very nicely polished and gleaming each time I practice - a professional musician probably doesn't, but only worries about the tuning and probably there are some who rest the can of coke and the banana skins on the piano too.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 20th August 2014 at 10:14 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Try selling your lens that has scratches on the front element. It won't matter that the scratches won't matter. You'll likely get less for it than if it had no scratches.