Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: smugmug home page

Real Name
    Richard

smugmug home page

I am not sure how to customize my home page so I can eliminate certain images that I don't want to display. I eliminated the images from certain galleries, I don't want displayed, by having these as private galleries (nudes, experiments, etc.). However I am not sure how to stop my home page from displaying certain individual images that (for one reason or another) I don't want displayed on that page.

Here is a screen capture of my smugmug home page..,

smugmug home page

I would like to eliminate some of these images from that view (such as the two puppy pictures at screen right of the second line - because I didn't shoot these) but, I don't know how to just eliminate them from being displayed on the homepage. I want to keep them in the public galleries but, just not display them on the homepage...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: smugmug home page

Richard

Do you know how you've got your site structured at the moment? For example, do you load images into galleries and they automatically appear on the home page? In other words, how do the pictures get on to the home page in the first place? I think that's the starting point.

Having said that, I'm not sure if I'll be of much help as I have my Smugmug structured quite differently.

The initial thought is that it's something to do with telling each picture where to appear. And that might lie in the gallery customisation area. Not sure.

Real Name
    Dan

That's quite easily corrected by switching to Zenfolio

Real Name
    Dan

Richard,

I constructed my site so long ago that I no longer recall any details. I do recall that the options varied from one template to another and for that reason, I ended up using a template that initially looked nothing like mine.

My suggestion is that you join the dgrin.com forum. They have several forums devoted entirely to various kinds of Smugmug support, including one entirely about customization. Ill guess that you will get good suggestions there.

Dan

Real Name
    Richard

Donald... I have no idea how the images pop up on my home page. They just pop up from what ever images that I load into any gallery that is not a private/restricted gallery...

Dan... "That's quite easily corrected by switching to Zenfolio" I smiled when you mentioned that! I almost jumped ship from smugmug.com after they IMPROVED the site.

DanK... Thanks, I will go back to Dgrin. The folks on that site didn't like it when I stated that change gives the impression of progress but is not always progress.

I would be very happy to go back to the original smugmug that I really enjoyed using and which was perfect for my needs...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Richard

I think it's a case of, as DanK suggests, getting more expert advice than maybe any of us can provide. The alternative to the forum is SmugMug's own support service. I've always found them very efficient and helpful.

I'm guessing a bit, based on interrogating under the hood on my own site. It seems to me that if you go to your home page, click on customize/customize site, you are likely to see that there is a 'Content Block' for 'multiple photos' (content blocks' being SmugMug's name for the boxes into which things go on a page). What I don't understand and where more knowledge is required, is the bit about how all photos that you load into a gallery then automatically come in to the home page.

Once that is understood, the next question I'd have is whether it's a case of all or nothing. In other words, if you want those photos to appear on the home page, can you select individual photos not to appear, or is it a case of 'whole gallery or nothing'? I don't know the answer to that.