Thread: Best filter holders - Progrey or Lee?

Real Name
    Steven

Best filter holders - Progrey or Lee?

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best filter holder for a dslr? I'm trying to select between Progrey or Lee. Progrey sells through a USA website directly and it looks like they always have items in stock. Lee I think sells through B&H and some other stores. I'm looking at the Progrey g-150x for a Nikon 14-24, compared to the Lee SW150. I'm also looking at the progrey g-100x system for my other lenses and cameras.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Re: Best filter holders - Progrey or Lee?

I don't know anything about Progrey; but, I switched from Cokin to Lee last year and am exceptionally pleased with the Lee filter holder. The Cokin kept getting knocked off if brushed even slightly. The Lee holder has a spring loaded pin that fits easily into the lens adapter. It rotates easily and does not come off except when you want it to.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Progrey - never heard of them; looking at their website, they appear to be a small startup.

Lee are a division of Panavision who are probably the number one equipment supplier to Hollywood movie studios (they make high end cameras and lenses).

I have the Lee gear and have no issues recommending it; but remember that different manufacturers make different thickneess of filters, so whatever system you use, ensure that you have a holder that works no only for the size but also for the thickness.

Real Name
    Allan Short

PrintMan if you could go to settings are enter your real name it would be better than calling you "PrintMan", as we tend to be on a more personnel footing here at CIC. It would also be good to enter where you are located as if you be not good telling to try someplace for something ie: filter holder and you are living on a small island in the middle of the Pacific. You do know that the Lee SW150 holder is only good for that Nikkor 14-24mm lens and can not be used on any other lens you have. So you will need two, one for the 14-24mm and one for all your other lens.
    If I knew you location I may have been able to suggest a supplier.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Steven

Thanks Allan, I edited as you suggested. I know that the Progrey g-150x will fit other lenses because they also make 2 different adaptors per their website. Even so I am looking at the g-100x in addition to the g-150x. I found out they are a relatively new company, maybe a few years old, but it sounds like they have fixed or made improvements on some of the short comings of other brands.

I know I can get progrey items from progreyusa.com and I know I can get Lee items from B&H, so that's not a problem. I'm just mixed as to which system to invest in. Leaning to the Progrey so far.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Steven as you are in the US, I suggest that you check out the following link. Never hurts to have another supplier, have not checked their prices against B&H, I think they are better, no taxes as they are in New Hampshire. So check them out
    http://www.2filter.com/

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Steven - beware the "weasel words"; they make me very nervous when I see them on a manufacturer's website. By this I mean words and phrases that are completely true, but are either meaningless or irrelevent to the point of being misleading. On their website they state; "Thin, ultra clear, distortion-free CR-39 material for the finest optical clarity possible - with NO color shift". This is true, the colour shift people have noted with competing products are not related to the base resin, but rather to the dyes used to darken the resin. Notice how they skip by this very important point.

I see several other places on the website that really continue are along the same vein and some pure nonsense (nicely said, I've been working in an engineering role in production / manufacturing environments for decades, and some of the things they say probably sound good to the general public, but bother me from a technical standpoint.

Reviews on the web are thin, and none of the ones I saw are anything other than user reviews versus actual lab test type reviews.

My suggestion would be to go easy and use a minimalist approach, buy the holder and one filter to see how they perform, before commiting to the system. That certainly minimizes your risk.

Real Name
    Peter

Best filter holders - Progrey or Lee?

Steven, I have Lee filters and holders. They are expensive but IMO you get what you pay for. Prior to owning the Lee system I used Cokin Pro which were ok when used as singles filters but...once you stacked them they were prone to colour issues.
    I have no knowledge of the Progrey system but the other responders have given you some excellent advice.
    Just to add to your dilemma you may like to consider Hitech filter system, link follows

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/

Formatt-Hitech manufacture a wide variety of filters in both circular screw-in and rectangular for holder systems.

BTW I have no commercial or other link to either Lee or Formatt-Hitech

Real Name
    Steven

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I know someone who owns a Lee system but he suggests I try Progrey, and I'm still leaning towards that as well. If I make a purchase I'll write back with my opinions. I have also considered Hitech but not going that route, although I may consider their black and white filters at some point (I also shoot B&W film). Thanks also for the link to 2filter, I am familiar with their site also.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm another dedicated Lee filter holder system user - used them for years - recommend them without hesitation.

Real Name
    Steven

OK I bit the bullet and after serious consideration and discussing with several other people, I went with Progrey. Customer service at progreyusa was very helpful and courteous and I received my shipment in 2 days. I haven't put everything through the paces yet but what I can say is the build quality is excellent. My friend with the Lee system, to make a long story short, is jealous LOL. Anyway just wanted to report back. This is going to be fun! Thanks for all the help everyone.

Real Name
    RON

It's been a while since anyone has added to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I also bit the bullet and went with Progrey. I first purchased the g-150x to fit my Nikon 14-24 mm lens and I was so pleased with the quality of the product I invested in the g-100x series to fit my other lenses. Is anyone interested in purchasing some used Cokin holders and slightly scratched Singh-Ray filters? LOL!