Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Overexposed image

Real Name
    John

Overexposed image

Does this edit sequence work? I tried reducing the blown highlights in camera RAW but the red feathers were beyond repair. I desaturated the image in RAW, used PSE to recover color detail on the reds and yellows, also did an adjustment for skin color on the dancer. No noise reduction or additional sharpening applied yet.

Overexposed image

f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/60sec, exp. bias 2.5 EV

Not the typical settings I would have used, but I was coming in and out of shadowy areas and this is the settings I was using at the time.

The desaturation was done on the RAW file, I used the jpeg to compare.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 10th August 2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Overexposed image

John, I don't recall if you have PS but, if you do...I am a fan of the old Color Range selection tool.

Ctrl J to duplicate image>open H/S and jack up the reds all the way>return to duplicate layer and open
    color range tool and select the reds>discard the H/S layer and use quick mask to brush away any reds
    that you don't want to mess with>save selection and now do whatever to the selected reds.

From what I can tell, I'm liking the skin tones on your last image.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    John, I don't recall if you have PS but, if you do...I am a fan of the old Color Range selection tool.

Ctrl J to duplicate image>open H/S and jack up the reds all the way>return to duplicate layer and open
    color range tool and select the reds>discard the H/S layer and use quick mask to brush away any reds
    that you don't want to mess with>save selection and now do whatever to the selected reds.

From what I can tell, I'm liking the skin tones on your last image.
    Hi Chauncey,

I do have access to it, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John - I think the first one, even though it has some issues, looks best. The other two edits seem to have a yellow or orange colour cast (I don't remember the pavement having brown tones the last time I was in Toronto). Try adjusting your blackpoint and concentrate on the exposure; and try to preserve the other bright colours in the dancer's costume, The other colours are bright and turning them muddy isn't helping anything.

If you don't like the blown parts of the red, consider adding a layer and with a mask paint a bit of bright red back in.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    John - I think the first one, even though it has some issues, looks best. The other two edits seem to have a yellow or orange colour cast (I don't remember the pavement having brown tones the last time I was in Toronto). Try adjusting your blackpoint and concentrate on the exposure; and try to preserve the other bright colours in the dancer's costume, The other colours are bright and turning them muddy isn't helping anything.

If you don't like the blown parts of the red, consider adding a layer and with a mask paint a bit of bright red back in.
    Manfred,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.