Thread: Can Anyone help??? - Problem solved

Real Name
    John

Can Anyone help??? - Problem solved

This is by way of thanks to Colin with who's valued help I have isolated a dysfunctional memory module that must have been the cause of a few niggles over recent months. Just in case someone has a similar problem, I thought it was also worth sharing the solution to my Adobe Bridge problem. Bridge could not read the thumbnail cash or any sub folders. Purging the cache in Edit/Preferences as suggested by the error message made no difference however, holding down ctrl/alt/shift as bridge boots up gives the option to the "Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache" as Bridge loads and this has done the trick. Hope no one ever needs it but just in case....

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Can Anyone help??? - Problem solved

Glad you got it sorted John.

RAM faults have caused me much work over the past few decades (some paid, some not!). IMO, extended memory diags like this should be built into the BIOS for easy access.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 10th August 2014 at 06:41 AM.

Real Name
    John

As I have a pet hate for outfits that charge for free software I would get the iso from here. Often this source will be more up to date as well.

http://www.memtest.org/

My machine uses parity ram. Not perfect but goes a long way towards spotting problems before they have done much damage.

John
    -

Real Name
    John

Thanks John. That is in fact what Colin pointed me to. It takes time and a bit of logic to isolate the offending module but it works and works well.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

That's interesting because I have had lots of problems with Bridge and its cache. My solution, which I got, I think, from an Adobe forum, was to delete the cache in .../library/caches/Adobe/BridgeCC (I use a Mac). I have had to do this a couple of times. I thought it was a problem with Bridge, not my computer. If it is my computer memory I would like to know so I can make a warranty claim.

Real Name
    John

I couldn't be sure Tony. I think Colin's diagnosis in my case was based on the fact that other small problems were happening on a cyclic basis e.g. My mouse would freeze but work again if I plugged it in to a different USB slot or my browser would freeze and restart itself. It looks as if my problem with Bridge was just the latest of these events. Of course at this stage I am assuming that these problems have been cured by the removal of the faulty module but only time will tell.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks, John. I have had other problems, namely occasionally the computer tells me that it has had a problem and then restarts. I will see if I can do a memory test. I did a quick hardware test using the Mac's diagnostic program but that did not find any problem. I gather there is a more extensive test available which I should try.