Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a lens malfunction or wrong setting?

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Is this a lens malfunction or wrong setting?

Hi here is an article on how to test your cameras focus system, it includes sample targets the you can print out and gives step by step instructions on how to do the test. im going to test all of my lens's next week for calibration purpose's. once youve carried out the test you should know if there is a problem and whether its the lens or the camera at fault.

it looks to me that your camera is focusing in front of where you want it to.

http://photographylife.com/how-to-qu...tofocus-issues

Real Name
    Mariko

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Mariko I was really thinking of an authorised Nikon repairer rather than the shop where you purchased it. You might be able to get a quote from them. I tend to think Kathy might be onto the problem in post 5 ie an element out of place. It could well be a better option to just buy a new lens.

Dave
    I checked it, they would give a quote but still charge some research fee (understandable). Considering the shipping cost and this fee, it would be handy to just to "feel" a level of price. I know it is never possible to give a guess, but if it is about the "an element out of place" issue, any idea what the repairing cost might be? Any place I can ask such experiences?

The lens itself is value around 300 euro now. So if the cost for this repairing comes around 200 euro, I would not bother keeping this lens and save more money to buy a different lens..
    Last edited by blacksheep; 6th August 2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: wrong english

Real Name
    Mariko

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Mariko, the images you have taken to try and assess the lens are not going to give you a decent indication in my opinion..........I also suggest that in undertaking a similar test you do what you can to keep the lighting across the frame even as a change in brightness or contrast will affect your perception of sharpness.

Grahame
    The camera was perpendicular to the wall at least... I am not familiar with "near/back focus issues"..?

Real Name
    Mariko

Hi!
    I read it, does this work for the zoom lens like 18-105mm?
    Also how did you mean by below??:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    it looks to me that your camera is focusing in front of where you want it to.
    http://photographylife.com/how-to-qu...tofocus-issues
    It looks very complicated for me to test my own camera/lens... now I really roughly want to know how much the repairing might be. It's difficult to decide when you don't even know the rough idea..

Real Name
    John

You might do better to shoot the wall again with a longer focal length as there looks to be some flare from light in the shots you posted to me which can fuzz things up. In other words just zoom in until there is only the wall in the viewfinder. On this lens F8 /F9 should be a good choice as they are not exactly the sharpest corner to corner lens about. I assume you could also check the camera focus using magnified live view to see if that is out as well. AF on the wall and then look with live view at the highest mag possible. If it's out manually focus using that and take a shot. This will then split the problem - camera or lens.

You could post some full resolution shots here

http://filebin.net/

John
    -

Real Name
    Mark

I read it, does this work for the zoom lens like 18-105mm?
    yes it would but you would carry out the test at one focal length at a time as your lens seems to be constant in its performance or lack of it any length will do.

Also how did you mean by below??:
    If your focusing on the wall but its the cushions that are sharp, your camera is focusing in front of where you are asking it to.

It looks very complicated for me to test my own camera/lens...
    only you know your technical ability bu id have a go, all you do is print out the target, but your cam on a tripod, take a picturs in live view and then some more in viewfinder view and compare the results.

now I really roughly want to know how much the repairing might be. It's difficult to decide when you don't even know the rough idea..
    sorry its just not possible to tell cant you ring a nikon authorized repair center and ask the (this is not your local shop) i think this may be one, you could call them. they could at least give you an hourly rate..

http://www.nikonservice.nl/

do you not have a friend that has a nikon that you can borrow a lens from to compare?

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    I checked it, they would give a quote but still charge some research fee (understandable). Considering the shipping cost and this fee, it would be handy to just to "feel" a level of price. I know it is never possible to give a guess, but if it is about the "an element out of place" issue, any idea what the repairing cost might be? Any place I can ask such experiences?

The lens itself is value around 300 euro now. So if the cost for this repairing comes around 200 euro, I would not bother keeping this lens and save more money to buy a different lens..
    Amsterdam?

I wouldn't spend €200 for a reparation. New they are less, 18-105 f3.5-5.6

Instead of a wall you could also try graph paper. It's the same idea as the tile of Stagecoach, but without decoration. Position the camera so that the lines are parallel, both horozontal as vertical. And draw a cross in the middle so you can focus.

George

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Why not borrow another lens from the shop and shoot some of the same objects? At least you will be sure its not the camera.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by HaseebM View Post
    Why not borrow another lens from the shop and shoot some of the same objects? At least you will be sure its not the camera.
    This would be worth a try. Or if they wont lend you one to take home, do a comparison test in the shop.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post

Mariko it is a tricky situation. My daughter dropped a Nikon kit lens a while ago and damaged the mounting plate. It cost about $150AU (100 euro ?) to repair I think. However cost would depend on what the damage was and the hourly rates of the particular repair shop. You could easily be up for quite a bit more than that, particularly if shipping is involved.

Dave

Real Name
    Mariko

If your focusing on the wall but its the cushions that are sharp, your camera is focusing in front of where you are asking it to.
    Ah! I understand now! Thank you Yes it's very strange as I had the centre-focus.

sorry its just not possible to tell cant you ring a nikon authorized repair center and ask the (this is not your local shop) i think this may be one, you could call them. they could at least give you an hourly rate..
    I will do that tomorrow... the line was engaged today when I could call.

do you not have a friend that has a nikon that you can borrow a lens from to compare?
    Hmmmm, maybe! I did not think of that. That would be a good idea.

Real Name
    Mariko

I wouldn't spend €200 for a reparation. New they are less, 18-105 f3.5-5.6
    Exactly, neither would I. It's really not worth it. And I would not buy a same lens either.

I would try to do some more tests with Mark's suggestion. Printed the papers now.

Real Name
    Mariko

You could post some full resolution shots here
    Great! Thank you!

Real Name
    Mariko

My daughter dropped a Nikon kit lens a while ago and damaged the mounting plate. It cost about $150AU (100 euro ?) to repair I think. However cost would depend on what the damage was and the hourly rates of the particular repair shop. You could easily be up for quite a bit more than that, particularly if shipping is involved.
    Aw! The mounting plate... is that just a mounting plate, right? Geez, that costs 100 euro...god knows how much my problem would cost then. With 150 euro I would already not to send it to repairing really :P
    Finally with some figure from real experience, it really gives a insight, thanks a lot!

Real Name
    Grahame

Mariko,

I think you are over worrying at the moment as you have not yet undertaken a basic test that reliably confirms you have a serious problem

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Mariko, please do as Graham and i suggest,
    Mark, I would not suggest to anyone that they should undertake the test you are suggesting at this stage which is primarily designed for testing Auto Focus.

From the OPs first post it 'appears' there is an OOF concern on the left side but also confusion within the image with respect to why there is nothing else that is reasonably sharp and the perspective of things makes it confusing to judge.

The test images the OP has posted are not good enough to make a reasonable judgement re left/right focus equality due to being somewhat blown on the left affecting sharpness perception but looking at the handrails suggests there is sharpness but the scene does not allow determination of equal distance from camera between points on left and right.

If the OP was to undertake the basic test as I have shown firstly and find a noticeable difference between left and right no amount of Auto Focus testing or fine tuning the results is ever going to solve the problem.

Grahame

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Mariko following Grahame's last post, I had a closer look at your test shots and I can see where he is coming from. There is quite a bit of glass in front of the brickwork on the left hand side and this makes it difficult to assess the sharpness in that area.

Dave

Real Name
    Mark

deleted

Real Name
    Mariko

Mariko,

I think you are over worrying at the moment as you have not yet undertaken a basic test that reliably confirms you have a serious problem
    Grahame
    I think I have done many tests and getting tired of it most of all.... sorry.

Real Name
    Mariko

Mark, I would not suggest to anyone that they should undertake the test you are suggesting at this stage which is primarily designed for testing Auto Focus.

From the OPs first post it 'appears' there is an OOF concern on the left side but also confusion within the image with respect to why there is nothing else that is reasonably sharp and the perspective of things makes it confusing to judge.

The test images the OP has posted are not good enough to make a reasonable judgement re left/right focus equality due to being somewhat blown on the left affecting sharpness perception but looking at the handrails suggests there is sharpness but the scene does not allow determination of equal distance from camera between points on left and right.

If the OP was to undertake the basic test as I have shown firstly and find a noticeable difference between left and right no amount of Auto Focus testing or fine tuning the results is ever going to solve the problem.

Grahame
    I'm going to do it, thanks a lot for your help! Everyone here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast