Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepare Image for Canvas printing

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Prepare Image for Canvas printing

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    The canvas looks great as does your gallery assistant. I take it you are pleased with it.
    I'll second that Dean ! I recognise that Gold Coast (?) image from a recent monthly comp. i think it's a fabulous image and if it were mine, I would have it printed and hung on a wall too.

Dave

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Aeros View Post
    This is a topic that can't possibly address everyone's concerns and situation with one all encompassing answer. After too many disappointing results from print shops, printing large format Giclees on canvas, I bit the bullet and bought an Epsom Pro 9900 that prints 44" width. I calibrate my dual monitors with Spyder 4 and get very good results. It took a lot of scrapped canvas and trial and error, but it has been worth the results. The only problem now is the low volume of prints I do, causes print nozzle drying and clogging. This will always be an issue due to low use.

Control the colour and IQ of your canvas prints, this is the solution I used, I purchased my own printer. As an added caveat, the canvas prints will always print darker than you see on your monitor, some trial and error adjustments by making your image on screen a couple of stops lighter will usually compensate for the screen illumination. All this extra work to get colour fidelity is something that print shop owners are not necessarily willing or capable to do.
    Yes, that's my goal. I will eventually do my own printing but I need to learn more about it before I invest into printing equipment. Like Robert Rodriguez said, it's a real different feeling when you can physically hold your print in your hands.

Cheers

Real Name
    Dean

he canvas looks great as does your gallery assistant. I take it you are pleased with it
    Thanks, yes I am.
    Last edited by dragon76; 31st August 2014 at 12:04 PM.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I'll second that Dean ! I recognise that Gold Coast (?) image from a recent monthly comp. i think it's a fabulous image and if it were mine, I would have it printed and hung on a wall too.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, yes it is Gold Coast. I wanted to create a dramatic story at this spot for quite sometimes but the condition was always too good but I finally got it.

Real Name
    Grahame

Very nice Dean, both you and as clearly seen your assistant should be proud of it.

Real Name
    Simon.

I realise this thread has finished, but having read through I am intrigued as to why sRGB is used so much.
    I work as a printer in the UK and if we get anything less than cmyk we ask the client why they are sending such poor quality images. Secondly we don't use sRGB, even on canvases. This has such a small colour space compared to aRGB, especially if the icc profile is set up properly which all the printers we have are.
    The main reason to use sRGB is for publishing to the web or small jpegs in a family album.
    Dean your canvas print looks great on screen so must look better in real life, my 2 cents worth is because you have very good photo skills to get the right shot, kudos to you.
    It's a shame we are so far apart as I'd like to show what a proper icc profile for a 12 ink printer can achieve. But as I have already said in a round about fashion, looking at images on a screen equates to sRGB and I have seen sRGB next to aRGB and they can come out flat.
    I always shoot raw aRGB, then convert to cmyk, at least that way I have the max amount of data and can save as sRGB if needed.
    The smallest canvas rolls we use are 106.68 cm by 50 metres long.
    The largest we use are 5 metres by 100 metres, these can and have been welded together to cover a stadium field.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by retrosi View Post
    I realise this thread has finished, but having read through I am intrigued as to why sRGB is used so much.
    I work as a printer in the UK and if we get anything less than cmyk we ask the client why they are sending such poor quality images. Secondly we don't use sRGB, even on canvases. This has such a small colour space compared to aRGB, especially if the icc profile is set up properly which all the printers we have are.
    The main reason to use sRGB is for publishing to the web or small jpegs in a family album.
    Dean your canvas print looks great on screen so must look better in real life, my 2 cents worth is because you have very good photo skills to get the right shot, kudos to you.
    It's a shame we are so far apart as I'd like to show what a proper icc profile for a 12 ink printer can achieve. But as I have already said in a round about fashion, looking at images on a screen equates to sRGB and I have seen sRGB next to aRGB and they can come out flat.
    I always shoot raw aRGB, then convert to cmyk, at least that way I have the max amount of data and can save as sRGB if needed.
    The smallest canvas rolls we use are 106.68 cm by 50 metres long.
    The largest we use are 5 metres by 100 metres, these can and have been welded together to cover a stadium field.
    Thank you. I ended up sending an 8bit aRGB and yes if you were close, I would be very interested in visiting your shop. Cheers Dean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12