Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Barn

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Old Barn

I was riding around this weekend and noticed this old barn. I prefer it in B&W because the colors of the grass, barn siding and sky seemed to detract rather than contribute to the image.

C&C always welcomed.

Old Barn

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Old Barn

Hi Ken,

i can see why you like the B&W great tones there and nice PP, love the framing of the trees leading the eye, but im not sure about the composition of the buildings, its almost as if the grain silo spoils it somehow by obscuring the barn.

Real Name
    John

Nice conversion, just needs a bit of separation between structures.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

+1 to John on his comment...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I like it. I'm a low contrast sort of person anyway and I like how all the elements are distinguishable, but remain part of the whole ... if that makes any sort of sense (I know what I mean!). I'd maybe think about a bit of Local Contrast Enhancement on the walls and roof of the shed, but apart from that ....!

Real Name
    Andrew

I think the B&W choice for this image was probably appropriate; I like it.
    In an effort to better understand composition I'm wondering why folks feel this needs some "separation between structures?" I know I'm prone to failing to have a primary point of interest in images; is it something to do with that?

Thanks,
    Andrew

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Terrific post-processing! The composition leaves me in between wanting the flowers to be the subject with the buildings as a background or wanting the silo to be less obscured.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD View Post
    I think the B&W choice for this image was probably appropriate; I like it.
    In an effort to better understand composition I'm wondering why folks feel this needs some "separation between structures?" I know I'm prone to failing to have a primary point of interest in images; is it something to do with that?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Andrew,

It's not so much composition as it is tonal changes. Aside from the brightness of the clouds and foreground shrubbery and the darkened windows, the remaining structures have similar tones, there is a lack of highlights or shadows so the structures look flat, at least to me.

Real Name
    Binnur

I agree with Mark

Real Name
    Krista

I like it, but feel it needs a bit more contrast between mid-tones and blacks. Just my opinion, though.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Did you try different spots to shoot from? This may be the best option for location given the trees obscuring the building. Maybe a little to your right may have given you more of the the curve of the silo roof at the cost of less of the main structure. I have no problem with the silo obscuring the barn as it is an integral part of the structure and a needed element.

If you use Silver Effex, try using a lot of control points to vary the tonality. On this image I would have used probably 12. Each tree, blue sky, white clouds, silo roof, cylinder of the silo, barn roof,each side of the barn, grass and flowers.

I am curious about how the colour detracts from the image in your estimation. I frequently have a problem converting these old barns to black and white because the barn, sky and vegetation are all similar grey tones. Colour provides me with a way of separating the elements. Your artistic judgement rules over mine as it is your image.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I frequently have a problem converting these old barns to black and white because the barn, sky and vegetation are all similar grey tones.
    That's a routine issue when converting to monochrome. Once the issue is determined, return to the color version and darken and/or lighten pertinent colors. The correlating tones in the monochrome version will then be less similar.

Real Name
    Mike

Barns in NJ? Ha! (Actually I'm from NJ ;-) ). Is this Sussex County?

My thoughts: If the original colors were distracting, now that it's grayscale, perhaps hand-color it back the way it should be (blue sky, red barn and yellow flowers/green grass and trees). I bet that would work, especially if you then dial it back down to antique color (i.e., 1930's feel).

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate your thoughts.

The barn was at the top of a hill. As I drove past, I noticed it, slammed on the brakes, and backed up to a location where I had a decent view. It attracted me because it had a red color, albeit faded from lack of maintenance and because the owner did not repair the broken boards. There was no other location from where I could take the photo without trespassing, and of course, I would never do that - he said with a big smile on his face.

The colored version looked too much like a magazine article being somewhat vivid. I could have spent more time to subdue the colors, but decided to try B&W. I was quite pleased with the results. That is why I submitted the image in this forum. It is helpful to get other people's thoughts because I often have difficulty objectively evaluating my work.

I used Silver Efex to do the conversion. I adjusted the color sliders to where I thought the image looked good.

It was Hunterdon County, Mike.

I will go back and try some more when I have the time. Thanks again everyone.

Ken

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Can you show its original please????

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

As requested, here is the color version before conversion to B&W.

Old Barn

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks, that's much more "accessible". While B&W is not bad at all, there is a wide range of color in this shot that really draws the viewer into the scene.

So the question is, in which direction should one take this image? The barn is old so historical treatments are appropriate. At the same time, the colors are fantastic and should be taken advantage of.

I created some artistic and retro interpretations which I can post with your permission.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
    I created some artistic and retro interpretations which I can post with your permission.
    Sure, go ahead and show me what you were thinking, Mike.

Real Name
    Mike

I started with the muted antique color effects I originally thought of using onOne Perfect Effects, then went for a historical interpretation using Retrographer.

Then I tried a few artistic renditions using PostworkShop.

So the shot has a lot of potential, depending on what you are trying to say about it.

barnpe.jpg
    barnmr.jpg
    barnpws1.jpg
    barnpws2.jpg
    barnpws3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Thank you for the effort Mike. I now understand what you were thinking. My personal preference lies toward making realistic looking images, although rarely, I find making an image more painterly (removing weak edges and details using TopazLabs Simplicity) is quite appealing.

I have also seen some beautiful work done with textured overlays that I may try on this one, just for fun. I might be surprised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast