Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next camera??

Real Name
    Carol

Next camera??

I want to get into the interchangable lens, and am seriously considering these:

Panasonic GF6

Canon Rebel T3i

I haven't considered Nikon, as in my price (around $500) none have the articulating LCD. The reason the GF6 is being considered, is I've currently got two Pannys now, & am familiar with the controls. However, I'm thinking the Canon would give me more capabilities, and future expansion??

If anyone knows of others I should consider, feel free to suggest them.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Next camera??

Carol - at your price point, I don't see any particular advantage or disadvantage going either route. I think your shooting needs might be a more important call here. I have a crop sensor DSLR, a full-frame DSLR and my most recent acqusition is a tiny (compared to the other bodies) Panasonic GX7; which I specifically bought because of a long backpacking trip this fall and I wanted to minimize the size and amoung of gear I take. I use each camera for specific shooting needs and situations.

If you ourline what your primary shooting needs are, then we might be able to help add some thoughts. If you are a general shooter, then sticking with the Panasonic to reduce your learning curve might be the way to go.

Real Name
    Carol

Manfred, thanks! I primarily shoot landscape and wildlife, flowers.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Either camera will work well for landscape work. The Panasonic will have a slight advantage for flowers and wildlife work, due to its smaller sensor versus the Canon. You will get a bit more depth of field with the Panasonic for flowers and a bit more of the multiplier effect for wildlife. On the Panasonic, my 300mm focal length works out to a full-frame equivilent of 600mm (2x multiplier) while on the Canon, the same 300mm focal length would "only" give you a full-frame equivilent of 480mm (1.6x multiplier).

Real Name
    Ido

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Either camera will work well for landscape work. The Panasonic will have a slight advantage for flowers and wildlife work, due to its smaller sensor versus the Canon. You will get a bit more depth of field with the Panasonic for flowers and a bit more of the multiplier effect for wildlife. On the Panasonic, my 300mm focal length works out to a full-frame equivilent of 600mm (2x multiplier) while on the Canon, the same 300mm focal length would "only" give you a full-frame equivilent of 480mm (1.6x multiplier).
    You can't ignore the Canon's clear advantage in tracking autofocus, though. Shooting wildlife in motion (such as birds in flight) is much easier with the T3i. I'd happily sacrifice some resolution and crop the photo so it has the same magnification, to get more shots in focus.

Real Name
    Pierre

The articulating LCD is mostly useful when the camera is at ground level - or alternatively if the camera is higher than you. I wouldn't put too much importance in this feature, especially since you can always buy a angle-viewfinder ( or whatever is there real name) if you find you really need something like that.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    I want to get into the interchangable lens, and am seriously considering these:
    Panasonic GF6
    Canon Rebel T3i

I haven't considered Nikon, as in my price (around $500) none have the articulating LCD. The reason the GF6 is being considered, is I've currently got two Pannys now, & am familiar with the controls. However, I'm thinking the Canon would give me more capabilities, and future expansion??

If anyone knows of others I should consider, feel free to suggest them.
    Between those two cameras - my main consideration would be Viewfinder vs. NO Viewfinder.

This choice goes to the methodologies and techniques one employs to frame and shoot the photograph. Moreover, using a manoeuvrable LCD Screen to frame the shot goes way beyond the single utility of a convenient screen when the camera is close to the ground or in difficult position on a tripod.

Also, using an ‘Angle Finder’ attached to the viewfinder of a DSLR is quite different to using, and has different functions to using a manoeuvrable LCD Screen – and an Angle Finder is an additional cost. I don’t know about Nikon, but a Canon Angle Finder-C will set one back around AUS$200.00. There might be cheaper third party options

(I am reasonable sure that) All DSLR’s have a pentaprism and a viewfinder which allows for the 'conventional' 135 SLR shooting technique (i.e. looking through the viewfinder, down the lens).

Some of the later model DSLR have the ability for 'Live View' (or similar) and the use of the LCD to allow the use the camera away from the eye to frame the photograph, via a screen at 'arm’s length'.

In this case, many later model DSLR’s allow for one to use BOTH of the above mentioned shooting methodologies. (i.e. through the viewfinder - OR - on the screen.

On the other-hand, without a viewfinder, the Panasonic only allows for one: and that is to use the LCD Screen.

I think that you should take a long time to consider how you want to use the camera (meaning how you will hold the camera and frame the shot), before you make your choice between those two cameras.

Regarding “future expansion” I agree that Canon has a greater range and depth of product: whether or not you will actually need to buy into part of that Canon range which Panasonic does not produce, is a more realistic question for you to contemplate.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Ido View Post
    You can't ignore the Canon's clear advantage in tracking autofocus, though..
    No advantage in landscape and wildflower shots, more of an advantage in wildlife photography, but then I wouldn't use a T3i for that. You'd want a higher end body and fast glass, which are well outside of the stated $500 budget.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Let me take that back. I got my Panasonic models mixed up and didn't realize that the GF6 does not have a viewfinder.

In that case the T3i all the way; a camera without a viewfinder is going to be marginally okay for wildflowers and landscapes (as long as it is not too bright out), but forget about it for wildlife shots, you'll never be able to hold the camera steady enough unless you are looking through a viewfinder and bracing it against yourself.

Real Name
    Carol

The articulating LCD for me, would be more usage in bright sunlight. One could angle it to see it better. I did put a Flipbac http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iewfinder.html on my FZ70, which helps a lot.

Real Name
    Carol

Let me take that back. I got my Panasonic models mixed up and didn't realize that the GF6 does not have a viewfinder.

In that case the T3i all the way; a camera without a viewfinder is going to be marginally okay for wildflowers and landscapes (as long as it is not too bright out), but forget about it for wildlife shots, you'll never be able to hold the camera steady enough unless you are looking through a viewfinder and bracing it against yourself.
    I have to agree. I've never had a camera without a viewfinder, and I'm sure I would miss one terribly! Very good point!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

... I got my Panasonic models mixed up and didn't realize that the GF6 does not have a viewfinder.
    In that case the T3i all the way; a camera without a viewfinder is going to be marginally okay for wildflowers and landscapes (as long as it is not too bright out), but forget about it for wildlife shots, .
    agree

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Between those two cameras - my main consideration would be Viewfinder vs. NO Viewfinder.
    (I am reasonable sure that) All DSLR’s have a pentaprism and a viewfinder which allows for the 'conventional' 135 SLR shooting technique (i.e. looking through the viewfinder, down the lens).
    Not only is this not true generally for lower-end DSLRs, it is not true for the T3i in particular. As with most such DSLRs, the T3i has a pentamirror, not a pentaprism. While such a viewfinder is quite usable, it is noticeably less bright than the pentaprism, and a major reason that some folks choose to get the next model up. FWIW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    . . . As with most such DSLRs, the T3i has a pentamirror, not a pentaprism. While such a viewfinder is quite usable, it is noticeably less bright than the pentaprism, and a major reason that some folks choose to get the next model up. FWIW
    The correction is worth a lot, IMO.

My error due to inattention to the EXACT meaning of the words that I wrote.

Good point, thank you for correcting.

WW

Quote Originally Posted by Peeshan View Post
    The articulating LCD is mostly useful when the camera is at ground level - or alternatively if the camera is higher than you. I wouldn't put too much importance in this feature, especially since you can always buy a angle-viewfinder ( or whatever is there real name) if you find you really need something like that.
    As one that does extensive flower photography, I know that an articulating LCD is extremely useful with closeup flower photography, particularly those that are very small and near the ground.

Neither of my bodies has an articulating LCD, but I have an angle finder; it is not only expensive, it's not nearly as useful as an articulating LCD. But to be truly useful, the LCD must be one that opens up away from the body - some of them simply angle a bit from the body which in not nearly as good.

Glenn

Real Name
    Carol

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I greatly appreciate them! Since I've dropped the Panny from consideration, here is another for thought; the Sony SLT-A58 camera. It's in the same price range as the Canon T3i.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I greatly appreciate them! Since I've dropped the Panny from consideration, here is another for thought; the Sony SLT-A58 camera. It's in the same price range as the Canon T3i.
    Stick with Canon. This will give you more future options. The Sony is a mirrorless design, which means the slower autofocus associated with that technology will be there too; i.e. similar issues as with Panasonic. You are at an entry-level camera pricepoint, so there are a lot of trade-off that were made by the camera manufacturers to be able to make them that inexpensively.

Real Name
    John

There are plenty of demo's on youtube of various camera types AF speed. As far as mirrorless goes a lot depends on price = well over budget in this case but I haven't looked at the price of the cameras mentioned just used Manfred's comments as a guide.

The main problem with a camera that has no viewfinder either electronic or mirror is bright sunlight. It's often impossible to see the view on rear screens. Looks like you would get the fully articulated screen and the viewfinder via the T3i so that aspect is a no brainer.

I don't think that there is a mirrorless camera with an electronic viewfinder in your price range. The nearest are the Panasonic G5's and G6's. I don't know much about either but believe the G6 has a much better electronic veiwfinder. It's not just the mega pixels in it that counts.

Mirror pentaprism - real pentaprism - there really doesn't need to be any difference but maybe there is. I suspect more depends on the optics the manufactures put in it.

John
    -

Real Name
    Carol

Both the Canon and Sony have viewfinders. Here is a comparison:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compar...REG_753762-REG

Real Name
    Nick

I don't know much about DSLRs, but I have an articulated LCD, and have wondered what I would do without it, How can you know if you have a good shot ready or not if you can't see it on the screen well enough to tell if it's in focus etc.? For that matter, I haven't really used my view finder much for that same reason, it's too small to see the image well, though it is just an electric VF. Plus, if you are using a tripod, stability isn't as much an issue.

I wonder, Is there usually any good reason to pick something other than a Canon or Nikon. I'm just wondering how significantly the specs would have to be better on another brand to outweigh the reputation/quality of one of these most popular brands. However, I'm not necessarily advising you get the Canon for that reason.
    Last edited by Nicks Pics; 28th July 2014 at 05:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast