Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you choose a genre in photography? I click everything now.

Real Name
    Keshan

Re: How do you choose a genre in photography? I click everything now.

Bill! I'm just an employee working on Information Technology Stuffs!

Real Name
    Keshan

Hi Izzie! That's so true! But i'm way past those stages of dilemma! Now, I am in that state to learn stuffs and find what interests me the most. Thank you so much! Cause to spend our time for someone is precious. I'm just kick starting my photography aspirations. Will do make sure that I get going on the way which i interests me the most.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by keshan View Post
    Bill! I'm just an employee working on Information Technology Stuffs!
    Yes, I thought that would be the case.

In my opinion based upon my experience as filling both roles: there is a BIG difference between being an employee and being in one’s own business.

You wrote (my bold & underlined for emphasis):

Quote Originally Posted by keshan View Post
    . . . When i think about taking photography as my career, i think about making a decision of which genre suits the best for me and i couldn't make a choice. Since I like clicking everything, i'm not able to choose between them to select one and leave behind the rest.
    If you want to proceed to PHOTOGRAPHY as your CAREER, then I advise that you FIRST attain a very good grasp running a small of BUSINESS . . . and running it AT A PROFIT.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I quite agree with Bill's comments. I know a number of successful professional photographers; most of who are in the wedding / portrait business and they tell me that 80% of their work is related to running the business; including getting new clients, keeping existing clients happy, dealing with suppliers and of course dealing will all the mundane things like paying the bills. The actual photography component is only about 20% of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    If you're an amateur, eventually your 'genre' will choose you.

If you are a professional, you will need more than one string for that bow and be prepared to shoot products, events, sports and portraits until you become established enough in one area for it to support you.

If you are a professional, you will need more business experience and a real interest in running one than photo skills.
    Spot on. I'm in my niche now, and thankfully I'm an amateur because I really wouldn't want to have to do product photography (for example) as a pro so I could feed myself.

The business part may be even more important than the photography part.

Glenn

Just read Manfred's post again - the business part is really important.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

There is definitely a general consensus of opinion and advice about how much ‘business’ and how little ‘photography’ is involved in taking up photography as a career.

WW

Real Name
    Jessica Bayless

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    So finding a niche or non saturated market segment that has a potentially profitable customer base in your area and with subject material that you are interested in shooting is the ideal.
    I agree with Phil but with one add. Make sure that whatever you choose is still something you like or you wont enjoy your work for long.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Being a pro means doing the same stuff day-in day-out and to do this all your life can get tedious unless you simply like making exposures. Currently you take a break from all that earning your living. You are a lucky amateur and many of the best photographers are amateurs.

Real Name
    Adrian

I run businesses. It is a great deal more stressful than being an employee. I would not dream of investing in a photography business. There are no barriers to entry. Anyone can (and does) call themselves a professional photographer. Cameras and equipment are cheap and most "clients" will not know the difference between so called pro gear and consumer equipment. Prices for many traditional photographic fields are being driven down by oversupply of people wanting to take pictures. This has, I suggest, had a drastic negative business effect on the wedding photography and children photography market. Many of these markets are seasonal and concentrated around weekends.

Even newspapers barely employ photographers now as so much content is submitted by members of the public with a camera or smartphone.

Do serious market research before giving up your job and make sure that you can sell your time consistently. My advice: don't do it unless you have developed distinguishable expertise.

A very good photographer opened a small studio in a good (high foot fall) busy city location near where I live. He was targeting weddings, kids, portraits and pets. He went bust in less than 8 months having consumed his limited capital.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I run businesses. It is a great deal more stressful than being an employee. I would not dream of investing in a photography business. [and explains why]
    So do I.

Yes, it is.

Anyone can and always could read my Biography here (and other places).

I've always been quite forthright disclosing the fact that now (and since 2010~2012), very little of our Company's income stems from Photography (i.e. 'taking pictures').

WW

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

If you are not able to decide what you like the most then there is still penty of time to go professional. Its not what earns more money but it is all about what you like. If landscapes earn more money but you dont like clicking those then your pictures will not be good enough to earn money. Wait for your mind to take decission.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Is it a healthy practice to click everything
    You got your first camera...in the beginning there was darkness, then ya removed the lens cap
    and there was light.

Clicking everything is the only way to find what you like to shoot and get good at...it's a phase.
    But don't be afraid to do other stuff and develop that expertise as well.

Real Name
    Richard

What one "LIKES" to photograph is not necessarily what one can "EARN" a living photographing...

I would, if I were intending to switch careers, do a survey of the marketplace for photographers in the area in which I were living.

However, I would strongly recommend that you become professional by degrees. Keep your permanent job and shoot during your time away from that job. Only give up your permanent job when you become too busy as a professional photograoher and then need to make a choice...

As mentioned above, much or most of professional photography is the business side of operations everything from marketing to book keeping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12