Thread: The beautiful horse

Real Name
    Kim

The beautiful horse

This is a horse that was at the horse farm where the other shots I posted were taken.

The beautiful horse

Real Name
    John

Re: The beautiful horse

Nice shot, a bit soft on focus, could use a bit of contrast also.

Real Name
    Nick

That is a nice setting for that horse's portrait.

Real Name
    Michael

If you will be working closely with the horse or doing portrait type shots, a pocketful of treats will prove very handy. The horse will be more comfortable around you, and more intrigued by that tasty smell coming from your direction. They'll look at you more, which is great for portraits, and might even follow you around if you start to walk away. Horses love carrots, apples, oats, and peppermints. Some even like crackers. You should give them a treat every once in a while to reward them for being a good subject.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Interesting...I've never done a horse shot before and your post is helpful as I really want to go across the road from us to that horse farm where they do trial practice...I keep telling my husband that I will contact those people but I was scared I might not do justice to the horses for taking crappy shots I have not done before...horses are beautiful animals...we have a few of them when I was young-er but not allowed to go near them at all...ours were work animals, not show ones. I will remember this post. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelClark View Post
    If you will be working closely with the horse or doing portrait type shots, a pocketful of treats will prove very handy. The horse will be more comfortable around you, and more intrigued by that tasty smell coming from your direction. They'll look at you more, which is great for portraits, and might even follow you around if you start to walk away. Horses love carrots, apples, oats, and peppermints. Some even like crackers. You should give them a treat every once in a while to reward them for being a good subject.

Real Name
    Greg

I like this composition, Kim. I, too, would prefer it to be a little sharper but I like the contrast between the curves of the horses head and the strong vertical lines of the stable.

One suggestion: leave a little more space between the lower edge of the stall frame and the picture frame. At the moment it looks like the picture needs to be rotated slightly anti-clockwise, but in fact the verticals are vertical. So if you leave a bit more space, the skewed line of the stall will not be so prominent. (hope that makes sense )

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the image Kim . I find it a bit soft, I think some sharpening would help. Beautiful horse

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelClark View Post
    Having owned a horse for years, you are right on. This horse looks better from the side, than straight on. So that's why I didn't pull out the preppermints I had brought along.

Real Name
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I like this composition, Kim. I, too, would prefer it to be a little sharper but I like the contrast between the curves of the horses head and the strong vertical lines of the stable.

One suggestion: leave a little more space between the lower edge of the stall frame and the picture frame. At the moment it looks like the picture needs to be rotated slightly anti-clockwise, but in fact the verticals are vertical. So if you leave a bit more space, the skewed line of the stall will not be so prominent. (hope that makes sense )
    Great tip, thanks so much.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for the sharpening comments. I will try that.