Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Gimp Tutorials

Real Name
    John

Some Gimp Tutorials

While looking for instructions on how to close a path in the GIMP I came across this site. As usual plenty of graphic arts stuff but also some decent explanations of the basic use of layers and masks etc.

http://www.paintshopprotutorials.co....tutorials.html

Looks like some one thinks it's a good companion for ps pro.

Closing a path - hold down ctrl and click on the 1st point. Trouble is I though I had tried that.

John
    -

Real Name
    Pierre

Re: Some Gimp Tutorials

Interesting link.

Do you mean the path doesn't close when you hold down ctrl on the 1st point?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Peeshan View Post
    Interesting link.

Do you mean the path doesn't close when you hold down ctrl on the 1st point?
    I will have to see. There wasn't any instructions in the help file so I tried various things but probably not ctrl plus the 1st point.

I found it closed with a straight line if I pressed return but also converted it to a selection which didn't matter at the time but would in other cases.

John
    -

Real Name
    Pierre

I see. The selection thing is good to know.
    I used to put a path point near the first point, zoom in and manually close the path, it works that way too.
    There is some more actions and options possible in the bottom of the path box - in case you didn't notice.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Peeshan View Post
    I see. The selection thing is good to know.
    I used to put a path point near the first point, zoom in and manually close the path, it works that way too.
    There is some more actions and options possible in the bottom of the path box - in case you didn't notice.
    I probably haven't noticed. I find that the free and fuzzy select do the bulk of what I want to do but finally came across something where controllable curves were better.

I'm slowly working my way up in the GIMP by just trying various things from time to time. I have used some aspects for a long time and due to the way paths are often described hadn't really bothered to find out what they can do. Most info seems to relate to stroking them rather than the selection aspect.

The tutorials have some good information on custom brushes so will be spending some time later on those to give them a try.

I sometimes wish there was a place on here to keep links to decent GIMP tutorials as truly useful ones can tend to be thin on the ground.

John
    -

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I probably haven't noticed. I find that the free and fuzzy select do the bulk of what I want to do but finally came across something where controllable curves were better.

I'm slowly working my way up in the GIMP by just trying various things from time to time. I have used some aspects for a long time and due to the way paths are often described hadn't really bothered to find out what they can do. Most info seems to relate to stroking them rather than the selection aspect.

The tutorials have some good information on custom brushes so will be spending some time later on those to give them a try.

I sometimes wish there was a place on here to keep links to decent GIMP tutorials as truly useful ones can tend to be thin on the ground.

John
    -
    Paths are indeed very useful for fine-tuned selection, and especially when you need to keep the same shape of selection in different layers at different times - also I believe it is possible to save a selection. The problem with brushes is that you need a Wacom tablet for it to be effective, with just a mouse it's annoying and unprecise.

Maybe the admin/moderator here could make a "sticky thread" where people would only put links to PP tutorials? I guess there is the same problem with Adobe suite...

P-chan