Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Color and Monitor calibration questions

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

Some Color and Monitor calibration questions

I used to have an old Dell 19 lcd widescreen screen that i calibrated with an x rite display one and made a color profile in windows with. I was at the time recomended from a friend to use 6500 Kelvin, 120cd/m2 and gamma 2,2 as a target.

The Dell screen broke and i bought a http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...36w/index.html
    I also bought a new monitor calibrator that can hardware calebrate the eizo flexscan screen, because i dont think the old X rite would work probably since it was made before led backlight screen.
    The link to the new calibrator (got a good deal on it) http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...PIX/index.html

When i read on the eizo page on the calibration it stands that for editing pictures the brightness should be
    See/Adjust Pictures 80 cd/m2 5500 K Adobe RGB 2.2

i do not have a wide gammut screen so i am not sure if this just applys for rgb?

I also asked on the adobe forum and got this back:
    "Stick with 120 / 6500K, and adjust from there if you don't get a good screen to output match. That's the main thing.
    "I don't know why Eizo still insists on 80 cd/m². Just ignore that. It's the luminance you could get out of an old CRT monitor, so maybe there is still an old prepress standard specifying that. In any case that's relative to the ambient light and general surroundings (including application interface).
    It should also be noted that very, very few monitors can handle that low luminance and still perform adequately. The Eizos are among those very few."

I do not print so much i mostly edit for web use, and sometimes i shipp it out or get a friend who has an epson printer to print for me.

So the question is should I stick with 6500 kelvin and 120? Or should i go on the other recomended value? It looks really dark when i go down to 80cd/m2.

I do not have any window light coming in to my room.

Hope some of you can give me some tips in the right direction.

Real Name
    Jakub

Re: Some Color and Monitor calibration questions

You should listen to people from Adobe forum. Different values are recommended for screen brightness, you can often find something like 80-120 cd/m2 and neither of those is better then the other, you have to pick one that suits your environment. If you work in a very dark room then 80 cd/m2 would be fine. If there is more light in your room then 120 cd/m2 is also fine. If you work in a very bright environment and you don't have influence over it then 160cd/m2 will be the right choice as well.

As for 5500K / 6500K: The standard light for assessing prints is 5000-5500K, so it was considered a standard to calibrate monitors like that. But you had more room for colour temperature adjustments with CRT screens. Now with LCD screens it is a different story, because they have a nominal value, and changing it is not so easy, it makes your gamut smaller. And most LCD screens are made with white balance closer to 6500K. So it is better to set your screen to 6500K.

Also, that would be an issue if you had your screen just next to viewing booth and if you could see both at the same time. A print under 5500K light and screen calibrated for 6500K. The print would be more yellow. But if you had the viewing booth in another room you would probably not notice the difference, because our eyes are very good at adopting to different light.

Real Name
    Lars Martin Teigen

Quote Originally Posted by ekki View Post
    You should listen to people from Adobe forum. Different values are recommended for screen brightness, you can often find something like 80-120 cd/m2 and neither of those is better then the other, you have to pick one that suits your environment. If you work in a very dark room then 80 cd/m2 would be fine. If there is more light in your room then 120 cd/m2 is also fine. If you work in a very bright environment and you don't have influence over it then 160cd/m2 will be the right choice as well.

As for 5500K / 6500K: The standard light for assessing prints is 5000-5500K, so it was considered a standard to calibrate monitors like that. But you had more room for colour temperature adjustments with CRT screens. Now with LCD screens it is a different story, because they have a nominal value, and changing it is not so easy, it makes your gamut smaller. And most LCD screens are made with white balance closer to 6500K. So it is better to set your screen to 6500K.

Also, that would be an issue if you had your screen just next to viewing booth and if you could see both at the same time. A print under 5500K light and screen calibrated for 6500K. The print would be more yellow. But if you had the viewing booth in another room you would probably not notice the difference, because our eyes are very good at adopting to different light.
    Thank you for your reply, will stick with the settings and try some prints and compare. I have light tubes in the room my computer is located they are a bit yellow, could it be an idea to try to find somthing thats more colder? Does somthing like that exsist?

If you're talking about new room lighting, google full spectrum lighting or lamps.