Thread: Professional Photographers magazine: folio section

Real Name
    John

Professional Photographers magazine: folio section

Professional Photographers magazine has a section that highlights members works and includes details of the shot such as: Camera & Lens, Exposure, Lighting, and Post-Capture. Of these four informational details, which one is of most interest to you as a photographer? I find that if the camera model is different from mine, I have little if no interest in the details. I might be interested in the focal length used and aperture, but model basically means nothing to me; sometimes if it is my model the information is still irrelevant.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Professional Photographers magazine: folio section

I agree. I often look at the Guardian's photo app, and the technical I formation I look for (it's not always given) is the focal length and aperture.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    . . . .Camera & Lens, Exposure, Lighting, and Post-Capture. Of these four informational details, which one is of most interest to you as a photographer?
    Depends on the shot.

One of Colin's Landscapes - I like knowing the exposure time and the lens - 99% of the time couldn't less about the aperture, then I would be interested in the Post Production.

One of Dan's Macros - I'd be riveted to know the ins and outs of the lighting and the FL of the lens and the shooting distance.

A Studio Portrait - I would want the lighting set explained as a priority.

Etc . . .

If the magazine is genuinely showcasing the images with some predicate of learning: then if I were the editor I'd simply ask for (and likely publish) as much (concise) information about the image as the Photographer was willing to reveal - including for example: the time of day . . .

WW

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Focal length, aperture, speed and any filter. Oops sometime ISO but then again I am very inquisitive.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Depends on the shot.

One of Colin's Landscapes - I like knowing the exposure time and the lens - 99% of the time couldn't less about the aperture, then I would be interested in the Post Production.

One of Dan's Macros - I'd be riveted to know the ins and outs of the lighting and the FL of the lens and the shooting distance.

Etc . . .

If the magazine is genuinely showcasing the images with some predicate of learning: then if I were the editor I'd simply ask for (and likely publish) as much (concise) information about the image as the Photographer was willing to reveal - including for example: the time of day . . .

WW
    Regarding Post-Capture, I will at times shake my head in disbelieve when a photographer states their image was minimally processed, but it doesn't take away from the beauty of the image.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Depends on the shot.

Etc . . .

WW
    Regarding Post-Capture, I will at times shake my head in disbelieve when a photographer states their image was minimally processed, but it doesn't take away from the beauty of the image.